Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FIFA considers changes to nationality rules

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If I was a scotch then, I'd take the missus on a cruise to Brazil when she's due to drop, so that ma wee bairn would be eligible to play for them.

But what if you were on (say) a Mediterranean cruise, taking in half a dozen European countries ? How would [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] 's rule be applied then ? Would the kiddy have his pick of several nations as well as his own country ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I was a scotch then, I'd take the missus on a cruise to Brazil when she's due to drop, so that ma wee bairn would be eligible to play for them.

But what if you were on (say) a Mediterranean cruise, taking in half a dozen European countries ? How would [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] 's rule be applied then ? Would the kiddy have his pick of several nations as well as his own country ?

Under my plan you wouldn't go on a cruise near to her due day. for the birth. 3 months either side

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Under my plan you wouldn't go on a cruise near to her due day. for the birth. 3 months either side

If I wanted my kid to have a chance of playing in a World Cup then I most certainly would. Same if I was welsh.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto

What if the ship was in international waters? The kid could pick any country in the World to play for.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What if the ship was in international waters? The kid could pick any country in the World to play for.

No, that's against BensGrandad's rule. You can only pick the country you live in, or the country you're travelling to.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2007
Toronto
No, that's against BensGrandad's rule. You can only pick the country you live in, or the country you're travelling to.

You'd be faced with a tricky decision. If you think the kid is likely to be the next Ronaldo or Messi you get the ship to head to Brazil. Otherwise, set a course for Scotland so at least he'll get a taste of international football.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No departure country or next destination country. or port of call so if a med cruise it would be the next port to visit.or the one that you have left.

So you could be of a bloodline in England that can be traced back to Saxon times, but if you're born on a cruise ship that's just left Gibraltar and is headed for Albania, then that's the choice you're stuck with ? harsh.

What if on the way from Gibraltar to Albania, the ship is diverted to Morocco due to poor weather. Do you get a choice of all 3 ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

What if the flight was turned back or you were refused entry at your destination or had the baby in transit en route?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What if the flight was turned back or you were refused entry at your destination or had the baby in transit en route?

You're asking the wrong guy :shrug:

Presumably you still get to pick one country or the other. Apparently, a Syrian refugee could play for England if he's born on the boat coming over here.

Oct 25, 2003
so if you're born on a boat heading from country A to country B, but the boat fails to make its destination you could still play for country B despite having never set foot in that country and having absolutely no links to the country whatsoever, but couldn't play for country C if you spend the rest of your life there?

Oct 25, 2003
Scenario: You're a refugee on a boat from Syria to England. You give birth whilst on the boat so all goods there, you're thinking "great stuff my kid can play for England!" The boat starts sinking on the way and you're rescued and taken to Italy. The first country your child ever sets foot on in its life is Italy. They are eventually granted asylum in Italy and spend their whole life there, become amazing at football, are brought up through the Italian football system and the only language you speak is Italian. To be honest you don't REALLY want to ever go back to Syria for obvious reasons so under your batshit suggestion BG, would the only option available to this player be that he plays for England- a country he's never set foot in and has no connection with whatsoever?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No because Syria would be the departing country and Italy the country you landed in. So a choice of Syria or Italy If you were rescued and taken to Albania that would become the 2nd country. England wouldnt come into the equation as you never reached England. Very simple and straight forward really.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
if pregnant you wouldnt be on a ship as stated 3 months either side of the birth.

What happens if country they're eligible to play for ceases to exist or breaks up? If they were born in Barcelona for example, would they be eligible to play for Spain, Catalonia or both?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here