Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shane Duffy

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I thought the majority view was that he must leave the club ???
Actually, the view was that he should not come in the first place...
I'd LOVE to hear him SIGN but not SING as he is TWO bob
Very easy to find posts that seem a bit silly with hindsight on the subject of Duffy but my own personal favourite was [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] saying that we should be looking at Jonathan Woodgate instead...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
"The Irish team were up against a technically superior, more talented outfit, but an inner belief drove them on to secure a place in the play-offs"

I wholly disagree with that, I think the Welsh team is the most overrated team in world football. With Gareth Bale, they'll beat a lot of teams because of his individual prowess but without him they are no better than the majority of nations from 20 downwards in the world rankings. Poor article.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
"The Irish team were up against a technically superior, more talented outfit, but an inner belief drove them on to secure a place in the play-offs"

I wholly disagree with that, I think the Welsh team is the most overrated team in world football. With Gareth Bale, they'll beat a lot of teams because of his individual prowess but without him they are no better than the majority of nations from 20 downwards in the world rankings. Poor article.

I saw them described as 'Bale and 10 lottery winners' somewhere....................

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There was an occasion near the end with Duffy that reminded me of that Peter Kaye - John Smiths advert when he just booted it out with his left and it came down in row Z.

HAVE IT.

Lovely it was.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Actually, the view was that he should not come in the first place...

Very easy to find posts that seem a bit silly with hindsight on the subject of Duffy but my own personal favourite was [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] saying that we should be looking at Jonathan Woodgate instead...

You forget the IRA sympathiser status when all the RIGHTIES said he was a disgrace to the club

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I saw them described as 'Bale and 10 lottery winners' somewhere....................

Ramsey is decent, but Allen wasn't good enough for Liverpool. Robson-Kanu, Vokes, Gunter, Williams, Chester etc, hardly technically superior to the Irish. Both of them very workmanlike sides, excluding Bale. Mind you, saying that, so are England these days.

dazzer6666

Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ramsey is decent, but Allen wasn't good enough for Liverpool. Robson-Kanu, Vokes, Gunter, Williams, Chester etc, hardly technically superior to the Irish. Both of them very workmanlike sides, excluding Bale. Mind you, saying that, so are England these days.

Fair assessment (including of England). We should be so much better than we are - we're not even workmanlike.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Duffy went up in value last night. He was unbelievable.

We may not score many this year for the issues documented but out CB pairing looks every bit a Premier league combo
Reminds me of when we had Foster and Lawrenson at the back. Fantastic CB pairing which kept us in the division.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Agree with this apart from Allen. He was absolutely good enough for Liverpool. Quality player in the right role.

Better than Lallana IMO.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Fair assessment (including of England). We should be so much better than we are - we're not even workmanlike.

I agree, depressing to lump England in considering, technically our players are a better standard, and play at a higher level than many from Wales and Eire. Just seems when they put on the England shirt it's like they seem to lose some belief in their own ability and forget what they are actually capable of doing. Sure there aren't many world beaters in the squad, but Kane, Alli, Sterling, Sturridge, Vardey, Walker, Rose, Lallana etc have all put in brilliant attacking performances for their clubs many times, they just become so ponderous when playing for England. Maybe it's the coaching, psychological issues, I don't know, but as you say, we should be so much better than we are.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Agree with this apart from Allen. He was absolutely good enough for Liverpool. Quality player in the right role.

Better than Lallana IMO.

Klopp didn't rate him then I guess. Surely a better player than Henderson though, how such a bang average player has got so many caps is beyond me. Carlton Palmer territory

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolutely outstanding last night. He's an absolute beast, and long may it continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Whilst I though he was absolutely fabulous for the Republic last night, here follows an article from football fancast - hope it hasn't been posted previously !

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/905728037?-2803:1015:0

Shane Duffy was immense as Ireland shut out Wales in huge World Cup Qualifier

by Christy Malyan [MENTION=16358]christy[/MENTION]Malyan shareFacebook Twitter Pocket Pocket Pocket Addthis
2 minute read 10/10/2017 | 05:10pm

If Brighton are to survive their first ever season in the Premier League, defensive resilience will be essential. The Seagulls have already exceeded the expectations of some to claim seven points from their first seven games, but Chris Hughton will be more than aware his side lack the attacking quality to try and outscore their opponents every weekend.

After losing their first two games of the season by a 2-0 scoreline, Brighton have shown improvements defensively in recent weeks – in fact, their last five outings have seen just five goals conceded and two clean sheets claimed against Watford and Newcastle – and centre-back Shane Duffy has played a crucial part.

He’s been a real rock at the back for Brighton and it was a similar case in Ireland’s all-or-nothing World Cup qualifier against Wales last night, the 25-year-old arguably the Man of the Match in a rear-guard performance that saw Martin O’Neill’s boys shut out the Dragons and take a huge goal on the break through James McClean.

Duffy completed a staggering 19 clearances last night – the most of any player on the pitch – alongside three tackles, three interceptions and one block, while winning eight aerial duels. Aside from McClean, he was the biggest threat to Wayne Hennessey conceding as well; twice popping up at set pieces to produce an effort at goal.

If Duffy can maintain that form at the heart of Brighton’s defence for the remainder of the campaign, the south coast outfit will fancy their chances of beating the Premier League’s drop zone. He will, however, face far more talented attacks than Wales’ before the 2017/18 campaign comes to a close.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]917494460480655362[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here