Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

• Casuals

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • Goth

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Grunge

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Heavy Metal (Metal Head)

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • Hippie

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Hip Hop

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Mod

Votes: 36 13.7%
  • New Romantic

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Punk

Votes: 37 14.1%
  • Rasta

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Rave

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Rocker / Biker

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Rockabilly

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Skaterboy

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Skinhead / Suedehead

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Soul Boy

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Teddy Boy

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Yeah ok, I did not check my spelling before posting... idiot that I am.

Psychobilly is defiantly a different sub culture they hated each other and would fight when they crossed paths. It is different dress code, everything, but I get your point.

Unless you belong to a particular subculture you are not going to know all the sub sects and the rivalries amongst those sects. I know of Rockabillys and I know of Psychobillys but I had no idea they were rivals and in conflict with each other. I'd also heard the term scooter boy but just assumed they were part of the mod scene. Would I be right in thinking that Rockabilly had its roots in 50s music whereas psychobilly is more 80s oriented. Always associated the Cramps and Meteors with Psychobilly or are they more the commercial side of things who might be considered uncool amongst hardcore psychobillys. Always quite liked the Cramps. Also Nick Cave who is one of my favourite artists sometimes flirts with a bit of a psychobilly sound I believe but feel free to correct me. Obviously not when he's crooning with Kylie Minogue but some of his songs with the Birthday Party/ Bad Seeds definitely have that influence in my opinion

Last edited:

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
When i look back at some of the 'phases' I went through and clothes I wore along with the people I hung around with and different girlfriends I reckon I can apply a few of those terms to various parts of my youth. I guess I was a Casual New Romantic Hippy Mod with a dash of Heavy metal!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Soul Boy, just couldnt get enough of the sounds, classic.

I knew you was going to say that.
100% Soul, but I am going to include jazz/funk in with it, as at the time both were played in the clubs.
Loads of gigs, all dayers/nighters/weekenders.Visiting different clubs all over the South East & London.
Great times, great music, top totty.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
No Teddy Boy's? Surely BG must've been one :lolol: [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION]

I'm actually quite interested in what [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] has to say. I believe BG is about 80 which means he was in his teens in the 50s. This is essentially when proper youth culture was born and was first widely recognised especially in the UK with the advent of Teddy Boys. There weren't really any others to choose from at that time. By the late 1970s there were still quite a few ageing Teds in their 40s who at the time seemed quite ancient but they were still quite a common site in Brighton, but thinking about it the time span of the original teds of the 50s to the 70s is only the same as the original rave scene to today, so not that long really but at the time it seemed they were from a completely different era.Most original Teds now would be in their 70s knocking on 80.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Pretty much my first ever music purchase was an 8 pack of tapes from the Edge (formerly the Eclipse) in Coventry

Back then it was really i suppose before D&B was a genre of its own it was really either dark hardcore or happy hardcore (which was breaks as we know before happy hardcore became its own genre and was pretty much 180 BPM and cheesy as - slower Gabba if you like)

The pack if IIRC contained (some of them the mixing I could and did do better)

Jumping Jack Frost
Grooverider
Slipmatt
Top Buzz
Fabio
Ratpack

And I cant remember the other 2 could have been a six pack

God I miss my tapes the joy of buying those mix packs from Obsession, Fantazia.... Loved the artwork on them too they were the pride of place next to my awai tape deck and collected so many fliers. Moved on to D&B DJing and partying wise and got quite into Dubstep for a while before retiring from parties and festivals

Happy messy days

Grooverider (8?) Live at the Eclipse was a colossus IIRC , used to listen to that often "Its a hundred degrees and we're still rising. Hardcore will never die" .

For me the genre peaked musically, with this beauty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMlQJ5SeFo.

Paired beautifully with Snowballs and the odd Black Microdot to give me some of the best nights of my life. Funnily enough I was in a shoegaze band at the time and frequented few indie parties with said combination :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The beauty of Brighton is that we never felt the need to go 'all in' to any subculture. The trick was to take the best bits of all, this was epitomised during Big Beat where eclectic record collection came together to make new sounds. All with the help from the bassist from The Housemartins :).

I voted Rave because that seemed to be closest but i would also give a nod to Shoegaze, casual (the clothes not the violence), Britpop/Lad culture of the 90's, Baggy, Most genres of dance music, Punk, Ska, Hippy etc etc

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
100% Soul, but I am going to include jazz/funk in with it, as at the time both were played in the clubs.
Loads of gigs, all dayers/nighters/weekenders.Visiting different clubs all over the South East & London.

Did you go to Papillon in the basement of the Queens Hotel? Or the Inn Place (DJ Paul Clark) or the Abinger? Did you do Isle of White weekenders (DJ Chris Hill)? Toga parties?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
No Brighton was the place to be especially as far as fashion, our casuals were always the best dressed and it wasn't all about hooliganism, the fashion aspect was a big part of it and other teams would come down to Brighton to get kitted out, it had similarities with the Mod scene in that regard.

Pffff :lol: Funny, I was a Brighton casual who went to London to get my stuff!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Grooverider (8?) Live at the Eclipse was a colossus IIRC , used to listen to that often "Its a hundred degrees and we're still rising. Hardcore will never die" .

For me the genre peaked musically, with this beauty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfMlQJ5SeFo.

Paired beautifully with Snowballs and the odd Black Microdot to give me some of the best nights of my life. Funnily enough I was in a shoegaze band at the time and frequented few indie parties with said combination :)

Tune yeah :) I was more on the dark side I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJSTqGFwIu0

This one was a joy to mix and smoke with, easy breaks. God the link Gabafella posted earlier has got my headphones a going [MENTION=25308]Gabbafella[/MENTION]

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

We need a rave/old school/d and b thread or perhaps head off to another forum :)

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Tune yeah :) I was more on the dark side I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJSTqGFwIu0

This one was a joy to mix and smoke with, easy breaks. God the link Gabafella posted earlier has got my headphones a going @<a href="http://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=25308" target="_blank">Gabbafella</a>

This is one of those times that sticks in the memory for me. I remember it was august 93, fusion event at sterns, seduction dropped this beauty and i lost my shit. Total banger!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

That too :thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Always associated the Cramps and Meteors with Psychobilly or are they more the commercial side of things who might be considered uncool amongst hardcore psychobillys. Always quite liked the Cramps. Also Nick Cave who is one of my favourite artists sometimes flirts with a bit of a psychobilly sound I believe but feel free to correct me. Obviously not when he's crooning with Kylie Minogue but some of his songs with the Birthday Party/ Bad Seeds definitely have that influence in my opinion

Nope the Meteors & The Cramps are still considered the forerunners of the genre, and credible the sound has morphed and different bands put different spins on it incorporating anything from ska to a more punk sound or even goth or death country, Nick Cave, Dave Vanian and the Phantom Chords, Roddy Radiation have all dabbled in the sound, which is not as narrow minded as you may think and due to the underground existence it is always evolving with good young bands putting their own twist on it like The Zipheads.

When Iggy Pop says Lux Interiors vocals on Human Fly are the best you can get in Rock'n'Roll you have no higher praise.

[yt]Xt70UxI6biE[/yt]

[yt]wYxPHxA0R8k[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here