Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

Which Youth Subculture Did You or Do You Most Identify With?

• Casuals

Votes: 40 15.2%
  • Goth

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Grunge

Votes: 18 6.8%
  • Heavy Metal (Metal Head)

Votes: 25 9.5%
  • Hippie

Votes: 14 5.3%
  • Hip Hop

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Mod

Votes: 36 13.7%
  • New Romantic

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Punk

Votes: 37 14.1%
  • Rasta

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Rave

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Rocker / Biker

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • Rockabilly

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Skaterboy

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Skinhead / Suedehead

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • Soul Boy

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Teddy Boy

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Pretty much my first ever music purchase was an 8 pack of tapes from the Edge (formerly the Eclipse) in Coventry

Back then it was really i suppose before D&B was a genre of its own it was really either dark hardcore or happy hardcore (which was breaks as we know before happy hardcore became its own genre and was pretty much 180 BPM and cheesy as - slower Gabba if you like)

The pack if IIRC contained (some of them the mixing I could and did do better)

Jumping Jack Frost
Grooverider
Slipmatt
Top Buzz
Fabio
Ratpack

And I cant remember the other 2 could have been a six pack

Hype? Dougal? Sy? Top Buzz? Ratty?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On the theme of sub culture..........

Screenshot_20170904-193436.png

From 9pm - Friday 8th September

Three classic British youth movies from three different decades, including the first play of Quadrophenia on Film4.

9pm - This Is England (2006)

11.05pm - Quadrophenia (1979)

1.15am - Trainspotting (1996)

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Hype? Dougal? Sy? Top Buzz? Ratty?

Not Sy or Hype no scratching sure it wasnt them though sure it was an 8 pack now

Possible Top Buss and Ratty was a midlands lad so could be. Ellis Dee and Randal are possibilities too I cant recall :( Gonna have a little look.

Oh the days

Had a good and dodgy night in Worcester once with Bukem and Conrad where the old bill turned up and took the fuses out the plugs for the 1200s.and mixer

Queue a quick visit by me to both the ladies and gents find 3 fuses - one hand drier left working in the ladies of course out of four but party on :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I got into music at a very young age but the subculture I first got into was heavy metal. It started when I heard about Hanoi Rocks from a friend. I had a few like-minded mates in Newhaven and we'd hang out, travel up to London for gigs, go to Shades to buy records, read Kerrange etc. I saw virtually every major mid to late 80s band I can think off. Fun times. I was still into metal when I moved to study but quickly expanded into other genres and these days anything's game.

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
Goth, inter-mixed/followed by balearic house, followed by deep US house (there's no way anything on strictly Rhythm could be classed as 'Rave' (the only vaguely house option in the poll choices).
My nights out consisted of a fields of the nephilim gig whenever they played the south east but always Craig Woodrow (I think that was his name) 3am nights at the Zap on a Friday in '89. Happy days

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
View attachment 88942

From 9pm - Friday 8th September

Three classic British youth movies from three different decades, including the first play of Quadrophenia on Film4.

9pm - This Is England (2006)

11.05pm - Quadrophenia (1979)

1.15am - Trainspotting (1996)

Watched Quadrophenia for the umpteenth time the other week, never get tired of watching.

The only problem today is there is no 5.15 to Brighton

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Based on the outcome of the weekend poll on the age ranges of NSC users, I'm surprised the list of youth subcultures didn't include the bloomsbury group!

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I'm surprised there are so many "Casuals" .....I didn't know what that meant to googled it
"The casual subculture is a subsection of association football culture that is typified by football hooliganism and the wearing of expensive designer clothing (known as "clobber")"
I would have thought that was more Millwall that us?!?!?

No Brighton was the place to be especially as far as fashion, our casuals were always the best dressed and it wasn't all about hooliganism, the fashion aspect was a big part of it and other teams would come down to Brighton to get kitted out, it had similarities with the Mod scene in that regard.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I said I was a "raver" ...I got into happy hardcore in the early / mid 90's and listened to a lot of tape from the big raves of the time.
Then my tastes matured into house and trance in the late 90's which I still love today and still am a raver at heart loving a bit of Trance now and then!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
No Brighton was the place to be especially as far as fashion, our casuals were always the best dressed and it wasn't all about hooliganism, the fashion aspect was a big part of it and other teams would come down to Brighton to get kitted out, it had similarities with the Mod scene in that regard.

Are you seriously suggesting Brighton was at the forefront of the football casual scene? Lol. I thought the scousers had cornered that historical milestone with their trips to Europe in the late 70s/early 80s.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Who told you all this? And what year(s) are you talking about?

D

Deleted member 2719

Voted Punk,
But would really describe myself as a Rudeboy MODern Punk who loves Motorbikes.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
We finally have a Ted amongst our ranks. Anyone care to own up. What era ted, original 50s or later?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here