Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist on illegal bike who killed a pedestrian on manslaughter charged 'blamed victim'

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I wasn't saying it wasn't rigorous enough or that you need to do more, I was just saying that you wrote the result down incorrectly. You said
"between 18 and 22 percent of cyclists rode through red lights every week".
What you meant was
"between 18 and 22 percent of cyclists rode through each red light"

That's very different and much worse. The former means they'd only have to jump through one red light in the whole week. The latter means that people are jumping lights very regularly.

That's not what I meant at all: there were definite cases where large numbers of cyclists went through a red light (generally a pedestrian crossing) and there were red lights where hardly any (or none) ventured through - I didn't keep count of each individual light because, as I said, I was doing it all in my head and I had just two numbers to think of.

I meant what I said originally - 18 to 22 percent of cyclists rode through red lights each week. And, for the third time, it's not scientifically rigorous: it was the same lights every time and it was always in the morning. I was extrapolating from those lights to make a general observation about cyclists' behaviour at lights.

I'm fully aware that it would not pass muster as an academic study (my first job was as a statistician so I know what a dodgy survey looks like) but I thought it did give a very rough guide to how cyclists in central London treated red lights.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately identifying the cyclists would be nearly impossible and if it could be done very expensive. I have a simple answer ban all bikes and cyclists from A class Roads.:lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I meant what I said originally - 18 to 22 percent of cyclists rode through red lights each weeK. And, for the third time, it's not scientifically rigorous: it was the same lights every time and it was always in the morning.
And for the fourth time, you've got it completely wrong. Those that you didn't see go through a light may have gone through another light on their journey. Or on their return journey. Or they may have gone through the same light or another light on a different day. You'd need to see the whole of every journey to be sure someone never jumped a light in during the week.

There's no point saying it wasn't fully scientific or ready for peer review in a journal, your presented results are complete nonsense.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And for the fourth time, you've got it completely wrong. Those that you didn't see go through a light may have gone through another light on their journey. Or on their return journey. Or they may have gone through the same light or another light on a different day. You'd need to see the whole of every journey to be sure someone never jumped a light in during the week.

That's completely irrelevant. I can only observe from one particular point, I can't draw any inferences about subsequent behaviour. That would be like a police radar trap pointing at a car within a speed limit and saying that he never exceeded it.

It's quite a simple sum: let's say the officer pointed at 1000 cars and clocked 180 going over the speed limit. The police could simply say that 18% of the cars at the point were speeding and that would be a valid observation - it doesn't mean that the ones who didn't speed wouldn't speed at some point in their journey or ones who did wouldn't stick to the limits at the next speed trap.

What you saying would be true if I were interested in named individuals but I wasn't. I was trying to get a snapshot at a particular point in time - if over a two-hour period, 100 cyclists approached a red light: 82 stopped and 18 didn't then it's a perfectly reasonable to say that. for that particular set of lights. 18% stopped. I'm not sure why you want to complicate things by saying that it depends how they behave in future; that has no bearing on that particular set of lights.

It's moved away from the main thrust of this thread now, so I'll stop there. Like I said, it was an interesting aside for me, something to relieve a boring commute. I make no claims for scientific rigour, just the behaviour of cyclists at certain sets of lights.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Here is a novel idea. How about everyone take responsibility for their own actions.

Pedestrians stop looking at their phones, when crossing the road and actually look both ways to make sure it is safe to cross.

Cyclists, stop riding like knobs and obey the rules of the road, stop at traffic lights etc

Car drivers have some patience when over taking a cyclist, stop using phone why driving. What most car drivers get annoyed about are not real things. For example there is no such thing as road tax, cyclists are told in the high way code to ride two abreast because it make over taking them more like over taking a car, the distance required to make the move is less. So if cyclists are getting up your nose make sure it is for the right reasons.

As for this chap, he was riding an illegal bike, so guilty in my book.

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I'm waiting for a cyclist/motorist/pedestrian to claim that cyclists/motorists are vermin that need to be purged to really warm this thread up.
[MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] go for it.:)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's completely irrelevant. I can only observe from one particular point, I can't draw any inferences about subsequent behaviour.
I know, but that's what you have (accidentally) done. That's what "18 to 22 percent of cyclists rode through red lights each week" means.

It's quite a simple sum: let's say the officer pointed at 1000 cars and clocked 180 going over the speed limit. The police could simply say that 18% of the cars at the point were speeding and that would be a valid observation - it doesn't mean that the ones who didn't speed wouldn't speed at some point in their journey or ones who did wouldn't stick to the limits at the next speed trap.
Agreed. And if you were watching 1 set of lights at a time, and you saw 18 to 22 percent of cyclist jump them. That's the same as saying "between 18 and 22 percent of cyclists rode through each red light", which is what I told you in post #174.
It is not the same as "between 18 and 22 percent of cyclists rode through red lights every week", which has a different meaning.

I was trying to get a snapshot at a particular point in time - if over a two-hour period, 100 cyclists approached a red light: 82 stopped and 18 didn't then it's a perfectly reasonable to say that. for that particular set of lights. 18% stopped.
Agreed. Again, that's not what you said (I realise it's what you meant to say).
I'm not sure why you want to complicate things by saying that it depends how they behave in future
I don't want to say that, it was your sentence saying what they did in a week that complicated things.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
After the 2nd time did you not think that you should go a bit slower and try to anticipate when pedestrians might be stepping out without looking?

I would have been going 15-20 mph in the road. Imagine the reaction of the driver of a car if I slowed to 8 mph just in case. When driving so you go 10 mph as soon as you see someone walking on the pavement? I don't.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
For clarification

The offence is 'causing bodily harm by wanton and furious driving' - Offences Against the Person Act 1861

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
For clarification

The offence is 'causing bodily harm by wanton and furious driving' - Offences Against the Person Act 1861

I've very probably missed this somewhere in the thread... but does this offence cover having an illegal bicycle, or is the conviction for the way/speed he was riding it?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've very probably missed this somewhere in the thread... but does this offence cover having an illegal bicycle, or is the conviction for the way/speed he was riding it?

I don't know. I'm getting the info from the Court UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here