Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England vs South Africa 4th Test Old Trafford 4th-8th August 2017

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Thought I would set this up before tomorrow morning.

Obviously a big win at the Oval but should anyone be replaced? (I'm looking at you Dawid Malan)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Jennings has got to be for the chop. Hales in great nick, albeit in the shortest form. They won't though.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
How can anyone want Hales back in? He averages pretty much the same as Jennings and he got given twice the number of tests. Remember this is the same Hales who was completely unsuited to the longer form of the game, technically far too loose to open the batting and completely susceptible to a ball bowled outside off stump. He's a modern day version of Chris Adams!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why in god's name would they recall Dawson? He is barely adequate with the bat,, and offers little more with his spin, in support of Moeen, than Root, Malan or Jennings.

Dull.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Jennings may have saved himself with his 2nd innings knock at The Oval. What does it matter as it will probably rain and be a draw as it always rains in Manchester. I am sure somebody will come up with the number of drawn tests at Old Trafford due to rain.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Jennings may have saved himself with his 2nd innings knock at The Oval. What does it matter as it will probably rain and be a draw as it always rains in Manchester. I am sure somebody will come up with the number of drawn tests at Old Trafford due to rain.

Famously the 2005 Ashes Test when rain saved the Convicts from a deserved defeat....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If the rumours re Dawson are correct are they suggesting the wicket will take a fair bit of spin? If not same side please

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Famously the 2005 Ashes Test when rain saved the Convicts from a deserved defeat....

Although the weather at The Oval that year halted the Aussie response to our first innings total and precipitated a collapse. Can't believe how they caved in once Hoggard stepped up after the covers came off. England also retained the Ashes at Old Trafford in 2013- thanks to the weather after lunch on the last day..

[MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] Old Trafford is the worst, by some stretch, for weather. But there tend to be results.

Since 2000 there have been 12 Tests. 9 yielded results. England haven't lost there since 2001.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/engla.../match_results.html?class=1;id=75;type=ground

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Old Trafford is the worst, by some stretch, for weather.

Quick quiz question. In terms of whole days lost in test matches, Old Trafford is the worst, do you which test match ground, globally, is the second? I haven't got the exact number of days to hands, but there's less than 6 days between them if I recall correctly

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014
Quick quiz question. In terms of whole days lost in test matches, Old Trafford is the worst, do you which test match ground, globally, is the second? I haven't got the exact number of days to hands, but there's less than 6 days between them if I recall correctly

I could cheat, but that rather invalidates the fun of it.

My instinct was Sydney, although they do have storms in Brisbane early in their summer (I witnessed one).

It can rain in West Indies a bit and, of course New Zealand.

Actually, I don't know. I'll guess Sydney.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I could cheat, but that rather invalidates the fun of it.

My instinct was Sydney, although they do have storms in Brisbane early in their summer (I witnessed one).

It can rain in West Indies a bit and, of course New Zealand.

Actually, I don't know. I'll guess Sydney.

You guessed correctly. :clap2:

The New Year test against The West Indies last year lost 2 whole days to rain and moved clear second behind Old Trafford. I can't find the exact number of whole days in history and I did Google it to no avail, but after that it was something like Old Trafford 28-23 SCG.

Eeyore

Apr 5, 2014

The New Year test against The West Indies last year lost 2 whole days to rain and moved clear second behind Old Trafford. I can't find the exact number of whole days in history and I did Google it to no avail, but after that it was something like Old Trafford 28-23 SCG.

Yes, it's intrigued me. But looking I can't find full records anywhere. It would be interesting to see hours lost against hours appointed to get a more accurate reflection. The results would look different. My Sydney guess was based on its plausibility but also on the shed load of Test matches that have been played there. It is, as far as I'm aware, England's most successful overseas ground. Possibly because the Aussies have always won the series before we get there and don't care much for dead rubbers....

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Having gone to the land of the Long White Cloud my initial thoughts were Dunedin - it is host to a colony of penguins which even Manchester can't lay claim to!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Get rid of Jennings the South Africa and bring back Adam Lythe.

We need English players playing for England...having south Africans playing against each other is not what we voted for brexit for!

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Jennings is a walking wicket for anyone that can turn their arm over. That second innings knock was as scratchy an effort as I've seen for good while. He's got one more test to at least look like a batsman then it's all change - probably a choice between Robson, Hameed (if he ever gets any runs this season) and Stoneman.
Malan is a million miles from being a test class #5 currently. I'd rather promote Moeen or YJB and have a real spinner who can bat a bit (not Dawson) taking the spare spot or just move Malan down to 7 or 8 to take the pressure off and see if he will get there.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Jennings is a walking wicket for anyone that can turn their arm over. That second innings knock was as scratchy an effort as I've seen for good while. He's got one more test to at least look like a batsman then it's all change - probably a choice between Robson, Hameed (if he ever gets any runs this season) and Stoneman.
Malan is a million miles from being a test class #5 currently. I'd rather promote Moeen or YJB and have a real spinner who can bat a bit (not Dawson) taking the spare spot or just move Malan down to 7 or 8 to take the pressure off and see if he will get there.
Agree with all that. The "real spinner who can bat a bit" is Adil Rashid.

I'm still team Hales for the opener spot though. He's matured as a batsman and should be given a chance. Think he'd surprise a lot of people.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The only one more useless and shotless than Lyth was Sam Robson.

apart from his hundred against the aussies obviously..but you knew that didnt you piers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here