Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris O'Grady

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't understand the attitude of some of our fans. O'Grady has not been used properly so far and when he was used properly at Barnsley he got 15/16 goals at this level. Surely, he's worth giving another chance before we go and throw more money at another striker.

Totally ... he was never given much of a chance by many. "We only paid £500K for him and he came from a s**t club, so he can't be any good" seems to be the attitude of some.

He's hardly been given a chance and when he has played he's been largely isolated and playing much wider than I would have thought is ideal ... even then I thought he showed some decent touches and definitely can hold a ball up and bring others into play.

Don't know if he'll come good or not but would like to see him given a chance

mikevapour

Apr 18, 2012
I thought O'Grady's hold up play in all the games was excellent, very similar to Barnes, but Barnes input seemed to bypass all the fans and the fans have done the same with O'Grady, we should play him just behind macca or baldock

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I fear it may be too late to keep O'Grady if he doesn't want to stay. Can't really blame him either. When he joined it was to a chorus of "why the feck did we buy him", his performances were those of a man who didn't feel he belonged, our opinion of him morphed into 'we're too big a club for a player like him" and so little surprise, when he got the chance to return to Yorkshire, he jumped at it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
David Burke can sure pick a good player and only £750k, bargaintastic.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
David Burke can sure pick a good player and only £750k, bargaintastic.

I think it is the suspected wage packet that is the issue with CoG.

But your point stands - when people were putting the boot into Burke - he was being judged at least in part on Hyypia's ability to make the most of the players at his disposal. Which was limited.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I think it is the suspected wage packet that is the issue with CoG.

But your point stands - when people were putting the boot into Burke - he was being judged at least in part on Hyypia's ability to make the most of the players at his disposal. Which was limited.

What about the sh*te he brought in for Oscar who just refused to play most of them, does the point still stand then?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
What about the sh*te he brought in for Oscar who just refused to play most of them, does the point still stand then?

I clearly don't follow it in the same detail. Off the top of my head I don't know who you are referring to. I am not defending Burke. He may well have been rubbish at his job. I am just making the point that it is probably more fair to judge his signings in a formation from a manager that allows them to show what they can do.

Anyway - that battle is won. There is not much to be gained from raking those embers.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I clearly don't follow it in the same detail. Off the top of my head I don't know who you are referring to. I am not defending Burke. He may well have been rubbish at his job. I am just making the point that it is probably more fair to judge his signings in a formation from a manager that allows them to show what they can do.

Anyway - that battle is won. There is not much to be gained from raking those embers.

Just to give you some idea who I was referring to, he brought in for Oscar players like Chicksen, Agustein, Obika, Lita, Rodrigeuz and Monakana who you will agree did not feature in too many games between them.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just to give you some idea who I was referring to, he brought in for Oscar players like Chicksen, Agustein, Obika, Lita, Rodrigeuz and Monakana who you will agree did not feature in too many games between them.

Fair enough but two of those are development players aren't they ? Lita was ok.

Obika was just a poor player. Bizarre. And Agustein is a disgrace. Point taken.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought Rodrigeuz was Oscar's choice?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fair enough but two of those are development players aren't they ? Lita was ok.

Obika was just a poor player. Bizarre. And Agustein is a disgrace. Point taken.

Obika and Lita were emergency loan strikers who, in the end, didn't have to play and weren't relied upon. Lita only really featured briefly in the FA Cup (scored). Obika was on the bench (briefly) but it didn't in the end matter. Bent has proven a better bet doing a similar role this season admittedly.

Chicksen as third choice for Bruno/Calderon is still, imo, a good prospect.
Rodriguez was identified by Oscar and didn't work out.

I think everyone can agree that Agustien hasn't also worked out but thats the type of player that Albion have to gamble on given their wage structure, ex Prem players with issues (attitude/injuries), sometimes it works out. - Orlandi, Vicente only just, Kus - perhaps; sometimes it doesn't. Kemy has been a mistake but Burke's team identified him at the same time as we signed, for example, Upson, and Ward who were , everyone agrees, a big success.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As for Monakana then that has been an odd one. Loaned out constantly and we can add Maksimenko to the list. But then Burke can and did (in his goodbye statement) point to Ince and Walton as having several surefire successes of identifying dev squad players that make the transition to the first team.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought he and his family didn't want to be here and stated how happy they were to be back in Yorkshire

Coming into a new squad of individual players and a new manager, who didn't know each other, and being expected to lead them from the front, was probably a tough ask for him. Hopefully now with the squad establishing a better understanding of how to play together he may fit in well.

So maybe a happy O'Grady will sway his Old Lady. In any case I don't think the family can moan too much when they are benefiting from his good wage.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Coming into a new squad of individual players and a new manager, who didn't know each other, and being expected to lead them from the front, was probably a tough ask for him. Hopefully now with the squad establishing a better understanding of how to play together he may fit in well.

So maybe a happy O'Grady will sway his Old Lady. In any case I don't think the family can moan too much when they are benefiting from his good wage.

He's contracted to BHA, we call the shots, not his wife...I hope

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He's contracted to BHA, we call the shots, not his wife...I hope

Exactly. I can understand the upheaval if he has kids and the hassle of schooling them, but that’s what the WAG’s sign up to. I am sure they will be fine though and if he does want to sign for a club up North he can put himself in the shop window by playing well for us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think everyone can agree that Agustien hasn't also worked out but thats the type of player that Albion have to gamble on given their wage structure, ex Prem players with issues (attitude/injuries), sometimes it works out. - Orlandi, Vicente only just, Kus - perhaps; sometimes it doesn't. Kemy has been a mistake but Burke's team identified him at the same time as we signed, for example, Upson, and Ward who were , everyone agrees, a big success.
I think everyone can also agree that Agustien is exactly the player our team has been in desperate need of for the last 18 months.
An attack minded, ball playing, front foot midfield, unit.

We could and should be singing songs to Kemy as he's handed Player of the Season trophies, c'est la vie.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought he and his family didn't want to be here and stated how happy they were to be back in Yorkshire

If this is the case, his problem is that he's signed a three-year deal with us and is under contract. If he wants to return to Yorkshire, then he'll have to accept a substantial reduction in his wage packet so that the buying club increase the transfer fee they pay to us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here