Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is this it for Chris? Time for Hughton to go?

Why can’t we discuss changing some things Hughton wants to do without the idiocy of the sacking thread. Kayal needs to be back into our midfield as he’s the one player we have who can get our team holding the ball more

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is a quote from Chris Hughton, not from today but after the Huddersfield match on 9th December.

"What you don't want to do is concede from a corner. That changes things. That's a real disappointment and, at this moment, a problem.
"It's about people doing their jobs, people working as hard as they can on the training pitch. Setting yourself up right. We will never not be prepared - every club is.
"That's why some go from marking man-to-man to zonal, because they go through a bad period. But ultimately you've got to make sure you defend better."

Since Chris gave that quote we have conceded 8 goals in the league, 5 of those are from corners, 1 was from a free kick crossed into the box and only 1 goal came from open play.

In the entire history of Premier league football, teams concede a goal from a corner once every 10 games on average. We have conceded 11 in 23. That's 1 goal conceded from a corner every 2 games on average.

Embarrassing.

If Chris doesn't sort this out it will be the cause of our relegation.
This, in a nutshell.

It needs sorting out and a new striker is not going to make us defend corners any better. But both need addressing, for sure. If they're not, we are going to be in a relegation battle for the rest of the season. All those people who have decided we are already nailed on to go down - we're not. There are six clubs equally as shit: Stoke, Swansea, West Brom, Southampton, Newcastle and Huddersfield, as well as ourselves.

No way are we nailed on to go down even if nothing changes, but we have issues to address. Get that done, we'll be well clear of trouble.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is a quote from Chris Hughton, not from today but after the Huddersfield match on 9th December.

"What you don't want to do is concede from a corner. That changes things. That's a real disappointment and, at this moment, a problem.
"It's about people doing their jobs, people working as hard as they can on the training pitch. Setting yourself up right. We will never not be prepared - every club is.
"That's why some go from marking man-to-man to zonal, because they go through a bad period. But ultimately you've got to make sure you defend better."

Since Chris gave that quote we have conceded 8 goals in the league, 5 of those are from corners, 1 was from a free kick crossed into the box and only 1 goal came from open play.

In the entire history of Premier league football, teams concede a goal from a corner once every 10 games on average. We have conceded 11 in 23. That's 1 goal conceded from a corner every 2 games on average.

Embarrassing.

If Chris doesn't sort this out it will be the cause of our relegation.

What can Chris do exactly? He's trying men off the posts so we have more markers, he tried men on the posts today, we go man for man and big players like Propper and Bong are barely making a challenge, let alone doing enough to win the ball in the air. Nothing CH can do about that, what does he do, swap Kayal for Propper who is even shorter!? His hands are well tied at corners, the last 3 weren't free headers, we had men there in the right positions, they've just not done enough.

He'll be furious with the marking and robustness of our challenges today. I don't know what is going on, but perhaps Dunk or Duffy or both are simply not sorting out who is doing what. Bong beaten for their second was embarrassing, I honestly don't know what you think a manager does about that!?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Evans didn't have to beat anyone, he had a free header!

From an excellent flick as I said, inexplicable he is unmarked, but you simply cannot let someone win a header at the near post at this level, as that flick is always going to be incredibly dangerous.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why can’t we discuss changing some things Hughton wants to do without the idiocy of the sacking thread. Kayal needs to be back into our midfield as he’s the one player we have who can get our team holding the ball more

and even less height defending corners; the conundrums he is facing.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
What can Chris do exactly? He's trying men off the posts so we have more markers, he tried men on the posts today, we go man for man and big players like Propper and Bong are barely making a challenge, let alone doing enough to win the ball in the air. Nothing CH can do about that, what does he do, swap Kayal for Propper who is even shorter!? His hands are well tied at corners, the last 3 weren't free headers, we had men there in the right positions, they've just not done enough.

He'll be furious with the marking and robustness of our challenges today. I don't know what is going on, but perhaps Dunk or Duffy or both are simply not sorting out who is doing what. Bong beaten for their second was embarrassing, I honestly don't know what you think a manager does about that!?

There must be something fundamentally wrong for our figures to be so out of line with the average. The coach's job is to identify the cause and coach it out of the team.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There must be something fundamentally wrong for our figures to be so out of line with the average. The coach's job is to identify the cause and coach it out of the team.

I've seen changes for the defending at corners, how tight we are, who is on posts, it is clearly something being worked on, but as I said, you have to rely on the players. You can only coach a player to the limit of what his quality is.

I need to remind people we've only conceded 29, only the top 7 have conceded less. That doesn't speak to blaming a manager who doesn't know how to coach defending. That speaks of players not doing their jobs at set pieces.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well with our current form, lackluster tactics, Unability to score. Strange subs. Looks like he has lost his team too. Is it time we start looking for another manager?

I know this is set up for me to get torn to shreds by some of the hardcore among you like last time but to be honest i couldn't give a hoot now.

What would you do in this current situation we're facing outselves in?

Is it time we give Hughton the chop and get someone else in or keep him on and getting relegated? Thats the way it feels at the moment

I can see why you have posted fewer posts than me. Absolute drivel. You can take that as a no and a no to your questions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When has CH had the option of using what I suggested? Just have a think about it before you post such defeatist shit. Do you think he WANTS to play the tactics that are effectively forced on him by no pace in a striker?

What about sacrificing a winger and playing an extra midfielder. We have both Stephens and Propper deep so nothing between them and Gross who seems to drop deeper and deeper leaving Murray isolated so it's irrelevant how many times he then gets his head to the ball.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
He can only work with what he's got, and what he's got is inadequate for this league. Questions must be asked of recruitment if we don't bring in better players this window. Hughton is doing what he can with the players he has. It's a surprise we aren't in the bottom 3 to be honest.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe if he had some pace and quality in a striker he might adjust the tactics? Can you see us staying up with the current squad remaining as it is, regardless of the tactics. Hughton has been doing a great job under the circumstances imo but he is managing with one hand tied behind his back.

Yes. I think this is the reason why we are hearing of pacey strikers but with average scoring ratios. I don't believe that Hughton is unaware of the requirements and the limitations of resources to meet them.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Well with our current form, lackluster tactics, Unability to score. Strange subs. Looks like he has lost his team too. Is it time we start looking for another manager?

I know this is set up for me to get torn to shreds by some of the hardcore among you like last time but to be honest i couldn't give a hoot now.

What would you do in this current situation we're facing outselves in?

Is it time we give Hughton the chop and get someone else in or keep him on and getting relegated? Thats the way it feels at the moment

Face slap

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What about sacrificing a winger and playing an extra midfielder. We have both Stephens and Propper deep so nothing between them and Gross who seems to drop deeper and deeper leaving Murray isolated so it's irrelevant how many times he then gets his head to the ball.

I don’t have the answers, only suggestions. If we had genuine pace in the middle to go with the wingers we could break at pace and get the length of the pitch in three or four passes rather than 10 giving the opposition time to get back. Conceding a goal would not then be so terminal as it is now and it would take pressure off the defence knowing that if they fecked up once we are beaten. Team spirit appears to be a bit shot at the moment. However I am convinced that whatever CH does we are fecked without this elusive striker and although tinkering may make a small difference it won’t help us score the goals we so desperately need. CH does not have the players to play very differently to how we do at the moment and our paucity in front of goal is costing us big time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would expect Chris to give the team the “hairdryer treatment” following today’s performance and I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes some significant changes and, as a result, we’ll go on to turn Chelsea over next Saturday.

Play the “reserves” from the Palace game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here