Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Season Ticket Match Upgrade - Taking the Mick

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I certain poster on here [MENTION=16399]pb21[/MENTION] purchased a season ticket this season after upgrading my mother's OAP one on a number of occasions and getting into the habit of going to games. He can't be the only one. Love taking friends and colleagues who aren't albion fans along ocassionally but they aren't going to pay £42.

So, so, so short sighted by the club.

Quite. Over the course of a season there will be plenty of legitimate reasons why people who have lower priced season tickets can't make a game. The club should be encouraging new people to the Amex. I probably wouldn't now have a season ticket if the upgrade process was what it is now the past couple of seasons. I think a maximum of six pro rata upgrades seems fair to me.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I had an email from club today clarifying the position on upgrading

As a supporter holding a concession season ticket (65+, U21, U18 or U10) you are reminded that, if you can't make a match, you can upgrade your ticket so it can be used by an adult/65+/u21/u18.

We know evening matches are difficult, and we realise that supporters may wish to take the opportunity to upgrade tickets, rather than leave the seat empty. You are entitled to upgrade a maximum of six times in a season and upgrading an under-18 ticket to an adult costs as little as £15* in the North Stand.

Last December we wrote to all season-ticket holders to clarify the club's policy on upgrades. Those clubs who permit upgrades such as Derby County and Charlton Athletic, for example, limit their season-ticket holders to less upgrades than we do.

We chose to allow up to six upgrades because we fully appreciate that our younger fans may struggle to commit to every match, particularly midweek evening games that fall on a school night.

At the seventh time of asking for an upgrade we will allow the season ticket to be fully upgraded for the remainder, of the season but we do not permit any further match-by-match upgrades.

The upgrade limit is in place to stop abuse of the club's heavily discounted concession-priced season tickets. Sadly, in previous seasons, this has involved some fans using an under-10 season ticket as a place holder for regular upgrades for bigger matches.

To upgrade a ticket simply call the Albion Booking Line on 0844 327 1901** and select option 5. The cost of the change will be calculated as the pro-rata cost of the concession season ticket to the cost of the adult matchday ticket, rounded up to the nearest £1 – from this season we also will not be charging a booking fee.

You will note this is a change from last season, when our system would only allow us to charge the difference between concession and adult season-ticket prices, hence supporters who upgraded season tickets received an added benefit throughout 2015/16.

To help supporters who wished to upgrade, the club honoured the lower upgrade price rather than deny any upgrades taking place, with the system now corrected, we feel it is no longer fair to continue to charge the lower price to those taking advantage of the upgrade.

Our discounted ticket prices are only available to supporters who purchase a season ticket – as the discount is provided in recognition of the significant commitment a season-ticket holder shows to the club.

Having discussed this right through to board level, we feel season ticket holders' guests (those fans benefiting from the upgrade) are not entitled to the adult season ticket discounted price to attend a single match because they haven’t made the same commitment as an adult season-ticket holder.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You will note this is a change from last season, when our system would only allow us to charge the difference between concession and adult season-ticket prices, hence supporters who upgraded season tickets received an added benefit throughout 2015/16.

To help supporters who wished to upgrade, the club honoured the lower upgrade price rather than deny any upgrades taking place, with the system now corrected, we feel it is no longer fair to continue to charge the lower price to those taking advantage of the upgrade.

Our discounted ticket prices are only available to supporters who purchase a season ticket – as the discount is provided in recognition of the significant commitment a season-ticket holder shows to the club.

Having discussed this right through to board level, we feel season ticket holders' guests (those fans benefiting from the upgrade) are not entitled to the adult season ticket discounted price to attend a single match because they haven’t made the same commitment as an adult season-ticket holder.

There's a fair bit of confusion in the Albion's own tale, above, surrounding this.

The fact is that in the early Amex years, the season ticket upgrade was such as it is now, i.e. you paid the difference up to the full single match day price in place for the game in question.

Then the new ticketing system (the much-fabled "upgrade") came in and, all of a sudden, the upgrade cost reduced to that of the difference between the prorated concession ticket and the prorated adult ticket.

I think the price now is reasonable enough but it's clearly more about this: "when our system would only allow us to charge the difference between concession and adult season-ticket prices" than this: "we feel season ticket holders' guests (those fans benefiting from the upgrade) are not entitled to the adult season ticket discounted price to attend a single match because they haven’t made the same commitment as an adult season-ticket holder."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can anyone confirm how much it would cost now to upgrade an under 21 season ticket to an adult in the north stand, thanks

It will be MDP - ST/23, where:

MDP = Full Adult Match Day Price for the game in question
ST = Cost of the Under-21 season ticket

So, for a Category A (Norwich for example):

£32 - £340/23
= £32 - £14.78
= £17.22
= £18 (rounded up to nearest pound)

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Can anyone confirm how much it would cost now to upgrade an under 21 season ticket to an adult in the north stand, thanks

It will depend on the game, as you're now paying the full price, which is subject to category pricing. Should be somewhere between £10 and £20 (plus booking fee) I think, but will also depend on the cost of season ticket (renewed Season Tickets are cheaper and thus the upgrade will cost more).

Moonie

Jan 10, 2004
It will be MDP - ST/23, where:

MDP = Full Adult Match Day Price for the game in question
ST = Cost of the Under-21 season ticket

So, for a Category A (Norwich for example):

£32 - £340/23
= £32 - £14.78
= £17.22
= £18 (rounded up to nearest pound)

I upgraded a under 21 season ticket in the north on Friday night for £8. Same as last season.???

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Upgraded Minis from U21 to Adult given it costs £28 per match and will breach it very early as AWOL in Lincoln from September, must say club very helpful with this and even deducted the one match we used the concession.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Albion v Nottingham Forest
Venue: American Express Community Stadium
12/08/16
19:45 Adult
£21.52 (£0.00)

RETURNED: Albion v Nottingham Forest
North Stand N1H
Venue: American Express Community Stadium
12/08/16
19:45 Under 21
£13.91 (£2.39)
Your transaction reference number is:

Booking Fee: £ 2.39
Total Price: £ 10.00

I paid a tenner to upgrade my sons U21 on Friday.

super ads

Jul 14, 2009
The 6 game limit on upgrades is fine as long as there isn't more than 6 evening games. If they then start switching games to Friday nights is that not a little unfair? I take my 8 year old and don't want to keep him out late.

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
Am not sure if I am reading this thread properly.

For last nights match I upgraded an Under 18 ticket for an over 65 and it cost £6. This seems very reasonable to me.

Think I am correct in thinking that if I want to do the opposite of this.
OAP ticket but take an under 18 there's no extra to be paid.
So do I still have to phone and pay a booking fee.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The 6 game limit on upgrades is fine as long as there isn't more than 6 evening games. If they then start switching games to Friday nights is that not a little unfair? I take my 8 year old and don't want to keep him out late.

Spot on. They should extend the number of upgrades for children if there are more than six evening games.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Think I am correct in thinking that if I want to do the opposite of this.
OAP ticket but take an under 18 there's no extra to be paid.
So do I still have to phone and pay a booking fee.

My understanding is no.

I need to do the same as [MENTION=6691]ofco8[/MENTION] for tonight's game though as I didn't realise that the U18s ticket was cheaper than the over 65s

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Spot on. They should extend the number of upgrades for children if there are more than six evening games.

Agreed its fine in the old days when we used to play games on a Saturday but now games are moved left right and centre to weekdays its a complete nonstarter.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I never understand why people compare the price of football to going to a concert or the cinema. Football is completely different, it is not a one off, it's in your blood and therefore the comparison is worthless.

£42 for a second tier English Football league match is ludicrous. Not having a go at Albion but football in general. I can see four decent touring bands a month for that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not read the thread but the number of upgrades from kids to adults SHOULD be the same number of midweek / TV swap games we have.

Far more than 6 !!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
£42 for a second tier English Football league match is ludicrous. Not having a go at Albion but football in general. I can see four decent touring bands a month for that.

Wel it does appear that you are having a go at the Albion!!! £42 is one of the most expensive seats, therr are plenty cheaper.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here