Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Half and Half Scarves

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
They were even selling them round the back of Brighton station just after midday today. Must be worth their while I suppose, but just seems a lot of effort to go to for a mickey mouse profit. Even if they cost thruppence apiece to churn out, could you seriously be arsed with the aggro of touting them as a one-off. Subtract your transport costs and having to sell unused stock half price after the game and it's really really hard so see where there's much profit to be made.o

The economics of it intrigue me too. Surely it must be worth their while as otherwise they wouldn't exist but how is it worth their while? How many get sold per game?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Half n half scarfs need to be added to the ever growing list of banned items to the Amex, so that they are removed and thrown in the bin when people are searched ahead of entering the ground

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Only JCL's and people who are Brighton 'followers' rather than supporters could possibly want one of those aberrations. That and the mobbing of the Liverpool coach by such people is an unfortunate bi-product of being in the Premier League.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I didnt count any in the ESU......because it dont wind me up and I dont give a toss what people want to buy and wear.

Exactly. I too was in ESU, and in fact did see one lady with such a scarf. We are all different, admittedly, with all our various obsessions, but I really do struggle to see why people get so irate about this.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How do the tourists get these tickets?

There always seems to be tickets for sale through the official website. And once the game sells out the ticket exchange. I understand the ticket exchange gets quite lively as match-day nears.

If you want to get a ticket, and are determined and organised, you can.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The economics of it intrigue me too. Surely it must be worth their while as otherwise they wouldn't exist but how is it worth their while? How many get sold per game?

And what happens to the leftovers, does the material get recycled somehow for the next week's games? It's a mysterious trade to be sure.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There always seems to be tickets for sale through the official website. And once the game sells out the ticket exchange. I understand the ticket exchange gets quite lively as match-day nears.

If you want to get a ticket, and are determined and organised, you can.

Heard tales of people that live locally but don't support Albion buy membership at start of season for sole purpose of going to see "their" team when they visit.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Blimey it's not complicated; one off match attendees buy them as souvenirs. Two mums on the train had bought one each for four excited kids they had with them, and from their jabber it was clear that a) this was their first game and b) from out of town

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Really don’t see why people get so angry and upset over these other than Barber & Co who might be losing revenue.

So much vitriol and hate spat about.

I think that they are good to commemorate things like the first ever match you attend. My nephew has a Albion vs Lazio scarf that will always remind him of his first match, it’s pretty cool for hanging in the bedroom having only been worn once.

Live and let live.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Heard tales of people that live locally but don't support Albion buy membership at start of season for sole purpose of going to see "their" team when they visit.

Im sure it goes on. And there’s not a lot the club can do about it even if people feel they should.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really don’t see why people get so angry and upset over these other than Barber & Co who might be losing revenue.

So much vitriol and hate spat about.

I think that they are good to commemorate things like the first ever match you attend. My nephew has a Albion vs Lazio scarf that will always remind him of his first match, it’s pretty cool for hanging in the bedroom having only been worn once.

Live and let live.

I really didn't get H&H scarves, and would talk about them and those that wore them with some of the disdain shown on this thread.

Then I went to Manchester United for our league game last year, and suddenly got it.

The place was awash with tourists who were visiting Old Trafford, probably an essential stop on their visit to the UK, and taking in the sights. The dodgy geezer tat vendors were doing a roaring trade flogging the H&H scarves, many standing immediately outside the gargantuan official shop. For people taking in their first, and probably only, Man Utd game, the scarf is a memento of the occasion.

Most of us aren't the target market for H&H scarves - they're for a completely different demographic.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So encouraging to see so many in the home end today.

At a time when the country is so divided it brought a tear to my eye that so many fans can cross divides through the medium of knitwear.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

So you think those scarves are knitted do u? hmmmm.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I really didn't get H&H scarves, and would talk about them and those that wore them with some of the disdain shown on this thread.

Then I went to Manchester United for our league game last year, and suddenly got it.

The place was awash with tourists who were visiting Old Trafford, probably an essential stop on their visit to the UK and taking in the sights. The dodgy geezer tat vendors were doing a roaring trade flogging the H&H scarves, many standing immediately outside the gargantuan official shop. For people taking in their first, and probably only, Man Utd game, the scarf is a memento of the occasion.

Most of us aren't the target market for H&H scarves - they're for a completely different demographic.
My sons football club went on a visit to Old Trafford to do their stadium tour. It’s an industry in itself. Tours lasted for about an hour, with 30/40 people in each group, the groups were staggered in 15 minute intervals meaning that four groups could visit every hour. These were on all day. Most of the folk looking around the place were oriental.

OT is very, very dated compared to the Amex.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

The place was awash with tourists who were visiting Old Trafford, probably an essential stop on their visit to the UK and taking in the sights. The dodgy geezer tat vendors were doing a roaring trade flogging the H&H scarves, many standing immediately outside the gargantuan official shop. For people taking in their first, and probably only, Man Utd game, the scarf is a memento of the occasion.

A different demographic most certainly, but Manchester United being the global brand that it is, ensures the Old Trafford is going to get countless times more overseas visitors than the Amex, and will thus sell more of the said scarves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here