Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Kicking yourself off Facebook

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Disabled my FB account a couple of years ago and finally deleted it about six months ago. Haven't regretted it at all.
[MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] - careful, TB will hit you with a twitter post, her favourite retort !

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Download the file they have on you and you will have no qualms about leaving it.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It's good for staying in touch with relatives and friends that you like.
As a self-employed person I also get lots of work from people contacting me who have become friends through work.
I enjoy staying g in touch with the people who I choose to stay in touch with around the world.

I think it's all about how you use it.
The only reason I can see for stopping using FB is because of the data that they harvest from you, but I'm realistic enough to know that they're all at it.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I am not on facebook but everyone says that I should be. My wife is and shows me the odd interesting thing like what her friend is having for dinner.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I am not on facebook but everyone says that I should be. My wife is and shows me the odd interesting thing like what her friend is having for dinner.

I especially like to see what a cup of coffee looks like, in case I forget.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Facebook fatigue is real, most kids aren’t using it. Be interesting to see how it mutates to survive

It's a pretty well discussed notion that the decrease in young people using Facebook is about their parent's generation "killing it". https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/16/parents-killed-it-facebook-losing-teenage-users Personally, I stopped posting when my aunt started commenting on everything I did.

It'll survive in that, Facebook became bigger than just Facebook when they diversified their assets and now own Instagram, Whatsapp, Oculus VR. They are also starting roll out of a dating app this year to compete with Tinder.

It used to have a bit of everything, but now if I ever go on the app, it's my mum/aunt and her friends sharing 15 posts a day (a lot of which is obviously fake news) and nothing else. It is still great for messenger and groups (all parties etc. are still arranged on the platform) but I'll stick to Instagram or Snapchat if I ever want to post anything online (outside of NSC obv).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's a pretty well discussed notion that the decrease in young people using Facebook is about their parent's generation "killing it". https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/16/parents-killed-it-facebook-losing-teenage-users Personally, I stopped posting when my aunt started commenting on everything I did.

It'll survive in that, Facebook became bigger than just Facebook when they diversified their assets and now own Instagram, Whatsapp, Oculus VR. They are also starting roll out of a dating app this year to compete with Tinder.

It used to have a bit of everything, but now if I ever go on the app, it's my mum/aunt and her friends sharing 15 posts a day (a lot of which is obviously fake news) and nothing else. It is still great for messenger and groups (all parties etc. are still arranged on the platform) but I'll stick to Instagram or Snapchat if I ever want to post anything online (outside of NSC obv).

You could just unfriend your aunt? It might offend her but hey ho facebook is good for this too.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
I left Facebook around 7 years ago. Don't miss it in the slightest. I post the odd picture on instagram, and scroll through twitter for my "funnies" and to find out what's going on, but rarely actually tweet.

Like others have said I spent most of my time on here!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
You could just unfriend your aunt? It might offend her but hey ho facebook is good for this too.

It may have been better for me in the short term to do so, but long term this would've lead to a huge amount of grief in the family that ABSOLUTELY would not have been worth it!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It may have been better for me in the short term to do so, but long term this would've lead to a huge amount of grief in the family that ABSOLUTELY would not have been worth it!

Stay friends, but you can unfollow (they don't know) so you don't see her posts.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Stay friends, but you can unfollow (they don't know) so you don't see her posts.

Fully aware but the issue is family members and their friends invading my posts really. Had someone comment on my profile picture who I haven't seen since I was a toddler.

I'm sure I would also be told in person about any family Facebook posts... Going home, I'm always asked if I've seen (and then shown) what someone has posted on The Facebook. In reality, it is far easier and less painful to leave FB's main purposes behind for platforms new and only use it for direct contact (events/messenger etc.)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Fully aware but the issue is family members and their friends invading my posts really. Had someone comment on my profile picture who I haven't seen since I was a toddler.

I'm sure I would also be told in person about any family Facebook posts... Going home, I'm always asked if I've seen (and then shown) what someone has posted on The Facebook. In reality, it is far easier and less painful to leave FB's main purposes behind for platforms new and only use it for direct contact (events/messenger etc.)

Bloody hell. That sounds like a nightmare!

I've never been on Facebook. The Mrs has it to stay in touch with a few friends but doesn't post anything and hardly uses it.

Her cousin is obsessive with it and is one of those who constantly posts about how AMAZING her son is (in horribly cringeworthy ways) and how much she LOVES her life and everyone in it.

In reality (as [MENTION=35524]Knocky's Nose[/MENTION] said) her son is a decidedly average child who cried recently when he found out that Father Christmas wasn't real (he's 11), she hates her husband and his family with a vengeance and is constantly depressed and thinking about getting divorced. Of course, her friends and family (inc the family she hates / who hate her) all "LIKE" her posts and post equally cringe comments replying to them. It's pretty sick if you think about it too much.

I'm not sure why people want to project these fake versions of their life when their time would be better spent making their real life better.

I've lost touch with a few mates because they all started using Facebook to communicate instead of any other means, but I can live with that.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm not sure why people want to project these fake versions of their life when their time would be better spent making their real life better.

I was saying much the same thing to Prince Harry and Megs over dinner round their new place in Windsor only last week.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
LinkedIn is fine, got many a contract off there, it isn't a social media network.

I agree, its been good for me too, but I retired almost a year ago and after 10 months of fending off unwanted Headhunters I've bitten the bullet and removed myself from LinkedIn.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
New years eve spam did for me. I couldn't take anymore 'please pass this message on, including back to me' everyone being a weather forecaster (like I don't go out or have any windows in my house).

I've deleted Facebook and messenger from my phone but will keep the account alive on my laptop to keep in touch with family around the world when I choose to login.

My sister even played out in full, her marriage breakdown ffs!

I feel liberated at last!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Cannot see the problem with Facebook. If you follow bellends then you Will see all the crap they post. Not difficult to remove them. Remember...Facebook friends are not usually your real friends.
I cleared about 90% of the people I was 'friends' with as I had no interest in what they were doing so removed them. Tough shit if it upset them, get a life.
I only keep it now for keeping up to date with family in Asia and it's great for business if used correctly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here