Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Albion fans to be grateful?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
According to this Birmingham Live report, it states that the Albion fans should be grateful to the golden goons of Wolverhampton, the Amex broke another record for attendance.

I quote:
'Wolves’ fans packed out the away end, and there wasn’t an empty seat to be seen at the Amex Stadium, which was reflected in the attendance.

Rarely do two sets of football fans unite in the stands, but this happened today as the announcer declared they’d set a record attendance at the Amex stadium of 30,654.

Although the majority of those fans were of a Brighton persuasion, it wouldn’t have been achieved without the wandering Wolf Pack and the Brighton fans should be grateful.'

Am I missing something here, or are they implying that other fans go to watch the Albion?
I must've missed the ultra pubes, that may have allegedly sneaked in, to get footy tips and how to really support a team :shrug::lolol:
Wolf packs and all that bollox, should remain on the Twilight Saga and Jungle Book, both fiction and fantasy!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
According to this Birmingham Live report, it states that the Albion fans should be grateful to the golden goons of Wolverhampton, the Amex broke another record for attendance.

I quote:
'Wolves’ fans packed out the away end, and there wasn’t an empty seat to be seen at the Amex Stadium, which was reflected in the attendance.

Rarely do two sets of football fans unite in the stands, but this happened today as the announcer declared they’d set a record attendance at the Amex stadium of 30,654.

Although the majority of those fans were of a Brighton persuasion, it wouldn’t have been achieved without the wandering Wolf Pack and the Brighton fans should be grateful.'

Am I missing something here, or are they implying that other fans go to watch the Albion?
I must've missed the ultra pubes, that may have allegedly sneaked in, to get footy tips and how to really support a team :shrug::lolol:

You have the wrong end of the stick. It means that the majority were home fans, but suggests we should be grateful, as if the MASSIVE Wolves contingent were responsible for edging the total above the previous record attendance.

Which is complete nonsense of course, as they were given the same number of tickets as every other visiting club in the Prem, most of whom have sold out. The record was purely down to minimal segregation gaps, and improved use of the ticket resale system.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Our record attendance is 36,747 vs Fulham at the Goldstone, 27 Dec 1958 vs Fulham. End of.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You have the wrong end of the stick. It means that the majority were home fans, but suggests we should be grateful, as if the MASSIVE Wolves contingent were responsible for edging the total above the previous record attendance.

Which is complete nonsense of course, as they were given the same number of tickets as every other visiting club in the Prem, most of whom have sold out. The record was purely down to minimal segregation gaps, and improved use of the ticket resale system.

Just my cynical nature :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It wasn't a record attendance anyways, it was a record pretendance. There were fewer bums on seats than there have been for Big Six visits. There were a noticeable number of empty seats on Saturday.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just wonder how many of those Wolves fans have seen all 7 of their defeats to us in the top division. If there are any they certainly have my sympathy

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Did you not read this bit?

"record attendance at the Amex stadium of 30,654"

The only reason Albion fans MIGHT be grateful to Wolves fans is if they break their all-time attendance record, but we haven't. We've been over 30K at the Amex loads of times - whatever. Does anyone remember the Withdean record attendance? No because it's meaningless.

I'm sick of old records being airbrushed from history. Younger people might be forgiven for thinking football was invented in 1992/93.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
All these announcements do is fire up the away support, as if THEY are they reason that the record was set when in reality the stadium is packed out every week while Martin Perry is desperately squeezing a couple of seats in anywhere he can and reducing segregation due to stadium certificates. How many was the record even broken by? 20?

It wasn't a record attendance anyways, it was a record pretendance. There were fewer bums on seats than there have been for Big Six visits. There were a noticeable number of empty seats on Saturday.

Give it a rest would you, this is not a unique situation to our football club. The average is a 7% non-attendance across the top division, and we are not an outlier in that regard.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The only reason Albion fans MIGHT be grateful to Wolves fans is if they break their all-time attendance record, but we haven't. We've been over 30K at the Amex loads of times - whatever. Does anyone remember the Withdean record attendance? No because it's meaningless.

I'm sick of old records being airbrushed from history. Younger people might be forgiven for thinking football was invented in 1992/93.

We've got a shiny, new stadium and we're proud that we've been able to fill it. What's your problem with highlighting that fact?

No one has airbrushed the Goldstone from history.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The Goldstone was and is part of Albions history - fact.
The Withdean was and is part of Albions history - fact.
The Amex is Albions future :thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

You reckon they count tickets sold twice as 2? Interesting if true and another pretendance.. I just thought it was due to minimal segregation...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I quote:

Wolf packs and all that bollox, should remain on the Twilight Saga and Jungle Book, both fiction and fantasy!!

I see no reason to be grateful... the away allocation is sold out frequently. The "record attendence" was down to the match-day sales (and factors of availability - such as the width of segregation, etc). Absolutely *nothing* to do with the travelling "wolf pack" (F**k, that's embarassing... are they all 8yo and think it's cool?)

If they had brought considerly more than the minimum allocation because somehow we were struggling to fill the home end. Immediately I think of MKDons a few seasons ago and us bringing, what was it, around 8.5k (?). In those circumstances "MKDons could thank us for helping them achieve there attendence level", because we brought a lot more than they were obliged to give us tickets for.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Was it Albion's record attendance against Wolves? I remember being in a very large crowd at the Goldstone for a FA Cup or League Cup match many moons ago,

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Was it Albion's record attendance against Wolves? I remember being in a very large crowd at the Goldstone for a FA Cup or League Cup match many moons ago,

32,539 - the 10th highest attendance at The Goldstone
24 September 1969 League Cup 3rd round
Albion 2 (Gilliver, Spearritt) Wolverhampton Wanderers 3

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why was there minimal segregation for this match, and presumably more segregation at others? Are Wolves fans less potentially aggressive than say Leicester or Arsenal? Is previous good (or bad) conduct taken into account when deciding how much segregation is needed?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
All these announcements do is fire up the away support, as if THEY are they reason that the record was set when in reality the stadium is packed out every week while Martin Perry is desperately squeezing a couple of seats in anywhere he can and reducing segregation due to stadium certificates. How many was the record even broken by? 20?

I'm glad they stopped announcing the away attendance now but I'd wish they'd wait for the final whistle to announce the total. First time I heard them all game was after the announcement was made.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

You reckon they count tickets sold twice as 2? Interesting if true and another pretendance.. I just thought it was due to minimal segregation...

This is something that passed through my mind when the Argus mentioned before the match that it could be a record gate due to higher re-sales.

What I don't understand is: we know that the "attendance" figure reported these days is actually the number of tickets sold, rather than the physical attendance on the day. I believe I am correct in stating that only season ticket holders are able to make use of the ticket exchange system, so by definition any ticket re-sold was already sold to begin with (whether or not it was purchased a second time). So how does the number of re-sales affect the "attendance" figure that gets announced?

Surely the ONLY thing that can matter is the number of (non-season ticket) matchday ticket sales (which, obviously, may be affected by the size of the segregation areas).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here