Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Peru v Denmark

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
There was the tiniest little touch at the end of the challenge, but the Peru player was already diving on the way down. The VAR didn’t show the best angle. I agree with GL, why does the red have to watch it on tv, it should just be a message in his ear, yes it’s a pen, or no it’s not. Also why isn’t VAR picking up pushes and shirt pulling on corners in the box? But the tiniest touch you’ll ever see, wins a penalty? Sometimes football is shite.

Because at the moment they are still going with the referees decision is final it may change though in future

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
What would have happened if Denmark had scored quickly on the counter attack ? ie before the VAR refs had a chance to view the incident and contact the ref.
Feels like I'm watching a game show rather than a football match.

This has already happened and the counter attack goal was nullified.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Because at the moment they are still going with the referees decision is final it may change though in future

If that’s the case, the ref in this case didn’t think it was a pen because he played on. Let’s not forget that ultimately the ref made the wrong decision. It wasn’t a pen. How you can bring in VAR in such a huge tournament when it still has so many problems is crazy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A ref can call for VAR but he can also get someone in his ear telling him he may want to look at it from what i understand.

That is the only explanation that makes sense.

Not sure all the boys in the studio know the rules, though.

Imagine what the TV studio (or its Victorian equivalent) was like in the months after the introduction of the 'offside' rule :wozza::lolol:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
It was mentioned that VAR has taken the pressure off of linos putting their flag up for offside. If in doubt play on and if the attacking team score then go back to the offside. Is this correct and, upon scoring a goal, the ref can check for offside? Would the lino speak to the ref explaining he wasn't sure and let it go?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
If that’s the case, the ref in this case didn’t think it was a pen because he played on. Let’s not forget that ultimately the ref made the wrong decision. It wasn’t a pen. How you can bring in VAR in such a huge tournament when it still has so many problems is crazy.

Yea i know he obviously got told to review it though and then they didnt show him the best angle...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I think [MENTION=36014]Saunders[/MENTION] has described the situation perfectly, and it now makes sense to me. You are right - the ref did not think it was a pen - in rael time. That was why he was told to view the VAR. But the final decision is and was his. Makes perfect sense to me.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
It was mentioned that VAR has taken the pressure off of linos putting their flag up for offside. If in doubt play on and if the attacking team score then go back to the offside. Is this correct and, upon scoring a goal, the ref can check for offside? Would the lino speak to the ref explaining he wasn't sure and let it go?

It was bad enough when commentators were saying this year that was a late flag when linos were told only to flag when a player was actively trying to play the ball. Now they dont even have to flag at all I can only imagine the shit storm with the commentary.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think [MENTION=36014]Saunders[/MENTION] has dscribed the situation perfectly, and it now makes sense to me. You are right - the ref did not think it was a pen - in rael time. That was why he was told to view the VAR. But the final decision is and was his. Makes perfect sense to me.

In theory it makes sense. But.. they showed him a crap angle, and it shouldn’t be about contact or no contact, the Peru player wasn’t touched and was already diving. The overall decision was wrong. That’s the problem. VAR assisted the ref in stopping the game and giving a penalty that wasn’t.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In theory it makes sense. But.. they showed him a crap angle, and it shouldn’t be about contact or no contact, the Peru player wasn’t touched and was already diving. The overall decision was wrong. That’s the problem. VAR assisted the ref in stopping the game and giving a penalty that wasn’t.

I agree the vid they showed him was utterly useless. They should show all angles. I agree that in the angle shown it dos not look like a pen. The only problem here for me was that the ref didn't see able to select or be offere a good view. The actual decision was correct - another angle shows clear pen all day.

(F'uck me Peru are massive bottlers)

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I agree the vid they showed him was utterly useless. They should show all angles. I agree that in the angle shown it dos not look like a pen. The only problem here for me was that the ref didn't see able to select or be offere a good view. The actual decision was correct - another angle shows clear pen all day.

(F'uck me Peru are massive bottlers)

Out of interest, why do you think it was a penalty? I can’t see a penalty in any angle.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
No goal less games in this tournament yet. On the whole its been good so far.

Until England's debut:annoyed:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Schmeichel is unbeatable today. Peru have played some silky, passing football. Deserve better than a defeat. :down:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm tempting fate here, but I don't remember the first group stage fixtures ever being this much fun.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here