Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Some cracking stats there.

From my experience the Prom is quickest on a calm day, followed by PP then Hove.

The stats lie and you have the correct order.
Being oldest Hove Park has had more runs and so had all the best runners for a number of years and even now is favoured by the faster club runners on average.
Hove Prom was 17:03 yesterday almost a minute behind Hove Park despite being the faster course. Not sure on PP.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The stats lie and you have the correct order.
Being oldest Hove Park has had more runs and so had all the best runners for a number of years and even now is favoured by the faster club runners on average.
Hove Prom was 17:03 yesterday almost a minute behind Hove Park despite being the faster course. Not sure on PP.

PP won in 17'50 yday by a lady

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Can anyone tell me what some of the Sussex Parkruns are like? I've done about 50 in total, the majority in Worthing. I've also done Hove Park (as well as some random ones around the UK), but would like to tick off more courses over the summer. Has anyone got experience of courses like Bognor, Chichester, Horsham, Haywards Heath, Eastbourne and Hastings? I don't want to make the effort to go there only to find their course is on the side of a mountain, especially when I'm used to the flatness of Worthing!

Of those I've only done Chichester which is three times round the rugby pitches - it's a bit like when games was rained off on a Wednesday afternoon.
Tilgate in Crawley is worth a visit and newly opened Peacehaven is really nice too.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
In my attempt to get into running I did my first ever park run yesterday at peacehaven. Brilliantly organised and a great atmosphere. The heat and hills almost killed me and I had a real reality check to how unfit I am. Stopped twice but got a time of 32 mins which I was surprised by!

Will definitely be back next week to try and only stop once.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can anyone tell me what some of the Sussex Parkruns are like? I've done about 50 in total, the majority in Worthing. I've also done Hove Park (as well as some random ones around the UK), but would like to tick off more courses over the summer. Has anyone got experience of courses like Bognor, Chichester, Horsham, Haywards Heath, Eastbourne and Hastings? I don't want to make the effort to go there only to find their course is on the side of a mountain, especially when I'm used to the flatness of Worthing!

Haywards Heath is 4.5 laps of Clair Park. Parking on site, usual very friendly atmosphere. It's quite narrow, so can be a bit congested at the start, and hilly. Essentially feels like half a lap of uphill and half a lap downhill.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Well done yesterday, ran peacehaven myself for first time (2nd ever 5k). Definitely a load harder than preston park and the heat made that last hill really tough. Knocked 47 seconds off my 5k time at preston park, so was really happy. 27m 32s
Followed it up by running the peacehaven junior 2k with my daughter, who ended up being first girl home. So made up with my weekends running.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In my attempt to get into running I did my first ever park run yesterday at peacehaven. Brilliantly organised and a great atmosphere. The heat and hills almost killed me and I had a real reality check to how unfit I am. Stopped twice but got a time of 32 mins which I was surprised by!

Will definitely be back next week to try and only stop once.

Well done yesterday, ran peacehaven myself for first time (2nd ever 5k). Definitely a load harder than preston park and the heat made that last hill really tough. Knocked 47 seconds off my 5k time at preston park, so was really happy. 27m 32s
Followed it up by running the peacehaven junior 2k with my daughter, who ended up being first girl home. So made up with my weekends running.

Good running. I notice from the results that AG course record holder [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] has slipped down to third place in the all time rankings. He needs to return to grab it back.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Bognor: lovely park (i.e. a genuine 'park run') and flat but very twisty and with some narrow paths. Not in any way a PB contender but a pleasant atmosphere if getting rather over-crowded.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good running. I notice from the results that AG course record holder [MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION] has slipped down to third place in the all time rankings. He needs to return to grab it back.

Will put it on my 'to do' list! (But standards will of course rise so I think I peaked.) There was an amazing MV70-74 year old at Worthing yesterday. Achieved a 90%+ AG! I thought he looked serious as he was wearing a Dave Bedford style headband (younger readers please refer to Wikipedia!).

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Horsham normally gets between 400-500 running it. Its 3 times around Horsham park. Course is gently uphill, gently downhill and repeat (3 times). Well organised. There are some fast runners so you will do well to win it. Bonniface has the CR I think in 15 mins.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Eastbourne is very flat, well supported and marshalled. Not a pb course as lots of tight turns and narrow in places but running around shinewater has a nice feel about it.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran the Wealden challenge half today. Was intending to do the ultra but ongoing niggles made me take the shorter option. Really nice route virtually all off road starting and finishing in Chiddingly. The longest run I've managed for 6 weeks and very happy to see the finish. Very humid even at 10am with lots struggling in the heat. Not breaking any records but happy to get round in 1:54

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Waiting for [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] to recover and give us a race report. The results for the Grand Union Canal 145 mile are up. He finished in 43:41:00. Incredible achievement. Did you have a nap at any point? That's more mileage than I've done in 14 months.

Noticed that he crossed line in same time as two others. Must be practising for the weakest link rely. Congratulations.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Waiting for [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION] to recover and give us a race report. The results for the Grand Union Canal 145 mile are up. He finished in 43:41:00. Incredible achievement. Did you have a nap at any point? That's more mileage than I've done in 14 months.

Noticed that he crossed line in same time as two others. Must be practising for the weakest link rely. Congratulations.

Bloody amazing! Worthing is proud of him.

Checked out the Manchester 10K results. A certain Bryan Robson - arguably the best box-to-box player England ever produced - did 1:02:29. Mind you, he probably stopped off in every pub on the route.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Found a totally new route today and ran it slowly. I've been missing speed work and LSRs over the last week and a it so decided to do a very slow long run with lots of hills. up Hangleton Road, up Snakey Hill (that hurt), down Woodruff, round the park a couple of time, up and down Fonthill Road (the first time I've run through that railway tunnel for a VERY long time :lolol:) and then down to the seafront and home. Never faster than 10:13 per mile but constantly on the go. That's a course I think I'll do a lot more of and try and get faster over. Feeling WAY better about Worthing now. Just got to get through a week without booze!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Bloody amazing! Worthing is proud of him.

Checked out the Manchester 10K results. A certain Bryan Robson - arguably the best box-to-box player England ever produced - did 1:02:29. Mind you, he probably stopped off in every pub on the route.

Quite a few current boxers ran it too, Scott Quigg was quickest 43:28 I think. Not sure how serious they took it but looked a great event on tv.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Incredible stuff.........it really is. As for naps, not usually. May have a little sit down at an aid station now and again for 5 mins but the majority certainly won't sleep. Occasionally see a runner have a 20 minute nap but pretty rare. Never been out that long but it's a but bizarre how you feel when the sun comes back up after being on the go all night - very definite new lease of life.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

My word, that's amazing. Huge respect to [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION]

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
No, done the full marathon a couple of times. Wouldn't rush back as the course is a bit dull and the organisation shite........suspect the half is a lot better (don't know where the route goes but the marathon is almost not in Edinburgh at all, and the finish is about 8 miles away in Musselburgh)

Haha! I now know what you mean. Should be called the "Portobello & Musselburgh Half Marathon". I guess its difficult closing down part of a city centre for runners but its a shame the marathon doesn't spend more time actually in Edinburgh. If they did that, they could reduce the 4 miles or so at the end where it doubles back on itself.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here