Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10 from usb

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Is it easy to use and what about the things on usb like letters which have been obtained through windows. If it free to ownload and install I may try it to avoid having a new hard drive.installed. If I dont like it I couldremove it but the laaptop wont boot up.

Yes, Linux is free to download. You can download it onto a disc and boot it from there 'as live' to try it first even before deciding whether to install it or not. Have a look through this thread:
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343425-Linux-and-SSD-help-please&highlight=linux

Open Office will deal easily with any documents you already have and future ones too, and that comes with a Linux download anyway. I even used to use Open Office long before I discovered Linux.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How do I install it if my laptop wont boot up to get onto the internet?

Download it onto a disc on your wife's computer.

Go into bios in your computer and set it to boot from disc drive. Stick in the disc and away you go.

It's all covered in that other thread.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Download it onto a disc on your wife's computer.

Go into bios in your computer and set it to boot from disc drive. Stick in the disc and away you go.

It's all covered in that other thread.

After reading the other thread I have decided that I aam going to download linux and give ita try Which is the best to download as I see there are a few like Mint Urbanto etc.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
After reading the other thread I have decided that I aam going to download linux and give ita try Which is the best to download as I see there are a few like Mint Urbanto etc.

I went for MInt Sarah, now updated to Mint Serena. Very good for beginners, like me. Check whether you need a 32 or 64 bit version. There are loads of distros to chose from though. Take your pick really.

Here's the latest Mint downloads ( I went for the MATE version and am very happy with it):

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Actually it is an old laptop of mine that my wife shares with my granddaughter.but it still wurks but very slow. Even that s better than mine.

If yours or your wife's machines are very slow or low on spec there are very lite distros of Linux available like Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Linux Lite, all of which are fantastic on low-spec machines. I have an old low-spec machine which struggled to even run Vista, and it's super fast with Lubuntu installed on it.

I did a comparison a while back on memory usage from boot between my Windows 8.1 machine and the Lubuntu installation I have:

Windows: 1.7 Gigabytes

Lubuntu: 137 Megabytes

:lolol:

I also have a lady friend who is not at all tech savvy who recently installed Linux Lite herself, and she's loving it much more than her old Windows 7. :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I couldnt install Linux from a usb The repaair shops all want in excess of £100 to replace a hard drive which costs from £25 -£30 on e bay. I am considering buying a hard drive and asking youngest son to follow you tube and install it as it doesnt look very difficult just fiddly and patience.which counts me out. Anybody know is it a difficult job to do at home.

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I couldnt install Linux from a usb The repaair shops all want in excess of £100 to replace a hard drive which costs from £25 -£30 on e bay. I am considering buying a hard drive and asking youngest son to follow you tube and install it as it doesnt look very difficult just fiddly and patience.which counts me out. Anybody know is it a difficult job to do at home.

You can install Linux Mint from USB because I have done it on my wife's laptop. You have to make the USB stick bootable though.

Have a look at https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bootable-linux-mint-usb-2202084

Changing a hard drive is quite an easy job. What is the Laptop make/model ? Can you take a photo of the underneath and post it here ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You can install Linux Mint from USB because I have done it on my wife's laptop. You have to make the USB stick bootable though.

Have a look at https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bootable-linux-mint-usb-2202084

Changing a hard drive is quite an easy job. What is the Laptop make/model ? Can you take a photo of the underneath and post it here ?

I am just getting frustrated with it all. Son has returned from Algarve and watched you tube and said he will replace it for me so have orderedone on e bay. I have the usb of the ISO downloaded by microsoft so hopefully all should be well.by about Thursday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Slightly OT but taking Brother in Law to Devon at the weekend and he likes to watch the ol Seagulls DVDs as given to STH but they do not play on my wifes laptop with Power DVd but ones that I have made from the TV films etc do why is that

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Having problems re installing windows 10 from usb. Been on to microsoft who created the usb from the ISO whatever that is. Went into Google and did as suggested but the screens I got bore no relation to what google says should be there However the screen is now showing

Installing Windows

Status

green tick on copying window files
in bold Getting files ready for installation (59%)
Installing features
Installing updates
getting finishedi

What do I do when all lines havea green tick as this happened previously and then just restarted the process again.

Any help would be appreciated Thanks

I know it's no help, but why has it taken you till now to download 10 and what exactly made you think you could possibly do it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know it's no help, but why has it taken you till now to download 10 and what exactly made you think you could possibly do it?

I have had Windows 10 for about 18 months and last week it failed to boot up. So bought a re-installation disc on ebay which didnt work and so contacted Microsoft and then all the problems began.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here