Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] I will be at Hove Park parkrun tomorrow unless I do myself a mischief tonight. Just found my barcode which was impressive after a year. Will be happy with 25 mins though.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] I will be at Hove Park parkrun tomorrow unless I do myself a mischief tonight. Just found my barcode which was impressive after a year. Will be happy with 25 mins though.

See you there. It's Hove Park's 500th Parkrun tomorrow (@greg bobkin has run nearly all of them), so expect celebrations, cake and lashings of ginger beer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
See you there. It's Hove Park's 500th Parkrun tomorrow (@greg bobkin has run nearly all of them), so expect celebrations, cake and lashings of ginger beer.

Sounds great. It will be my third so I'll be feeling slightly fraudulent. Not enough to stop me having cake, mind.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Any truth to the David Walliams rumours for tomorrow's 500th Hove Park parkrun?!

I'll be there, on the assumption I wake up. I've been training hard in the gym, and getting into a training plan to run a 17 minute 5k this year. I'm not going to be going for a PB for 7 weeks, tomorrow will be 23-25 minutes for me. Nice and steady.

Good to see you back in the fold [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. I'm well up for the relay as well, sign me up captain!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Any truth to the David Walliams rumours for tomorrow's 500th Hove Park parkrun?!

I'll be there, on the assumption I wake up. I've been training hard in the gym, and getting into a training plan to run a 17 minute 5k this year. I'm not going to be going for a PB for 7 weeks, tomorrow will be 23-25 minutes for me. Nice and steady.

Good to see you back in the fold [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION]. I'm well up for the relay as well, sign me up captain!

You'll be skipper if you are in 17 minute 5k form. It's 5:47 pace just to get 17:59! Seriously quick for the distance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You'll be skipper if you are in 17 minute 5k form. It's 5:47 pace just to get 17:59! Seriously quick for the distance.

I'm targeting hitting the 17:59 in my target parkrun on the 17th June. That's the one for me, I'm going to be well off the pace for the next few weeks, the plan I'm following doesn't call for smacking it around on the saturday morning. I might volunteer to do some pacing, but I'm not sure I'd like the pressure to be honest. The sub 17 target is for later in the year, depending on how this target goes. I want to win a parkrun in 2017. Mentally it's been a tough few weeks, I've been struggling with both shins as well which has been frustrating but I'm feeling good to go again now and getting back out there.

Getting a new bike very shortly as well for the cross training benefits! And looking to try and swim more as well.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm targeting hitting the 17:59 in my target parkrun on the 17th June. That's the one for me, I'm going to be well off the pace for the next few weeks, the plan I'm following doesn't call for smacking it around on the saturday morning. I might volunteer to do some pacing, but I'm not sure I'd like the pressure to be honest. The sub 17 target is for later in the year, depending on how this target goes. I want to win a parkrun in 2017. Mentally it's been a tough few weeks, I've been struggling with both shins as well which has been frustrating but I'm feeling good to go again now and getting back out there.

Getting a new bike very shortly as well for the cross training benefits! And looking to try and swim more as well.

Which course are you looking at? I'm presuming Hove Park but other local ones are arguably faster. Might even be worth looking outside the area as you need serious wheels for this sort of time and every little helps eg you don't need a congested course.
The bike certainly should help - my times dropped quite significantly last year when I was training for duathlons. Basically I think you'll need to be inducted into a world of pain!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

....and fastest runner should be expected to run leg 4 and continue straight into leg 5 with the team. First team is looking very good already and a sub 20 5k may not be enough for some to run with the NSC Elite.
Will have to request expected times beginning of June.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Go to Margate. I came second by 45 seconds in 21:30 last year. Easy peasy.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

That's a bold plan. Looks like we will have our own 17minute runner to fill the shoes of the £2 Arena thief. Interesting your plan seems to be more gym and cardio work, that approach seems to be working miracles for you.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Woo-hoo! I got the Parkrun hat trick I was aiming for! Three consecutive runs at sub19 minutes at three separate courses was completed at Woking this morning, in a time of about 18:36 according to my watch.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Woo-hoo! I got the Parkrun hat trick I was aiming for! Three consecutive runs at sub19 minutes at three separate courses was completed at Woking this morning, in a time of about 18:36 according to my watch.

Saw that on Strava just now. Super speedy :thumbsup:

I managed to limp round Hove Park in 24.21 unofficially. Had to stretch out my back and hips before running and last night's red wine certainly didn't help my breathing but if I can get round in sub 24 before Worthing 10K then I'm pretty confident of racing [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] to a sub 50 at Worthing.

Great event at Hove, absolutely packed at the start with many in fancy dress and a good catch up with [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] after

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Knocked 4 minutes of my 2017 Parkrun pb today and finished lowest ever. 563rd.
Hove Park run's 500th run and over 600 runners ran. They ran out of finishing tags. Great event.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
After the three forts I was back to the summer sport (after a three day recovery to shake a cold) with a swim on Thursday, cycle ride on Friday, then Orpington Parkrun in an unexciting 28 minutes today. Next on the list is Arundel lido Triathlon in two weeks, probably the short one. Then it is on to Could-you-compete-in-an-Ironman.

And here is a calamity. I booked the Dartford Midnight Wo/Man in a hurry at the end of December to bag a free entry to the Big Swim. Last week I finally noticed when the race is. Triathlons are normally on a Sunday but this one starts on the Saturday.

August 12th. At 5:40 pm in Dartford.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
24.27 officially for me, finishing 196th. I did beat Stuart Tuck though, and he was in the correct age group to be THAT Stuart Tuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ha ha! As it happens I wasn't there this morning but heard it was a cracker.

I haven't run much this week. The eldest Bobkin Jnr had brain surgery on Thursday (successful - and we're now back home, thankfully) so I've been in Saints country boosting the share price of Costa and M&S!

I'm up for Weakest Link. I need to shift some serious timber (again) did this gives me a good incentive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here