Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This time last season

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It might have been better to wait until tonight's results are in but here goes anyway.

champ 5 apr 16.PNG
champ 5 apr 17.PNG

8 points and 15 goals ahead of last season's storming finish. The end of last season, saw a rapid upturn in our goal difference, so whilst two more wins would put us ahead of last season's target, hypothetically four defeats would make it very close in terms of goal difference.

Two from 6 from us would require
6 wins from 6 for Reading given their goal difference.
6 wins and a drawer from 8 for Huddersfield.

Given we finished on plus 30 last season it might be better at this stage to speculate that we need an additional draw to overhaul last season's total. That would make no change for Reading who still would require 6 from 6, but would then require Huddersfield to go undefeated (6 wins 2 draws).

I know some people are gnashing their teeth over this analysis, but this thread started at Game 15 on the premise that beating last season's total would be enough. At times it has looked completely inadequate, but as we get to the business end of the season, it is starting to look tough for our challengers.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
So simple maths

One win sees off sheds Wed
Two wins sees off Leeds
Three wins sees off reading
4 wins should see off huddersfield

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Strange how the goal difference for the teams below us and Newcastle is so small.

Last season's Top 6 all finished with 20 plus GD, so yes it is unusual.

The links below show last season's great spread of goals from everywhere, compared to this season's formidable four all in double figures.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/2016-17/top-scorers.html
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/2015-16/top-scorers.html

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
So simple maths

One win sees off sheds Wed
Two wins sees off Leeds
Three wins sees off reading
4 wins should see off huddersfield

Put simply 6 points - one win three draws - 89 points - is almost certainly enough.

5w 1d 0l would NOT be enough for Reading.
5w3d0l would NOT be enough for Huddersfield.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't get my head around Reading being so high in the table. They haven't annihilated anybody. Their goal difference is very low for a team in third (or fourth, or fifth etc). They don't have any classy strikers (Kermorgant is just a big ugly journeyman who elbows people out of his way) or a single player who gets fans out of their seats. Plenty of opponents have agreed that they're monumentally dull to watch, and they just seem to stroke it pointlessly around their back four, racking up the passing & possession stats so they can bang on about how they control games. I can only assume their game plan is to bore opponents into submission, then strike when they nod off. I mean, Leeds aren't all that (despite beating us the other week) but at least you can see how they've got where they are- his name is Chris Wood. Reading just look like another mid table side who've somehow got lucky. How have people not worked them out??

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I can't get my head around Reading being so high in the table. They haven't annihilated anybody. Their goal difference is very low for a team in third (or fourth, or fifth etc). They don't have any classy strikers (Kermorgant is just a big ugly journeyman who elbows people out of his way) or a single player who gets fans out of their seats. Plenty of opponents have agreed that they're monumentally dull to watch, and they just seem to stroke it pointlessly around their back four, racking up the passing & possession stats so they can bang on about how they control games. I can only assume their game plan is to bore opponents into submission, then strike when they nod off. I mean, Leeds aren't all that (despite beating us the other week) but at least you can see how they've got where they are- his name is Chris Wood. Reading just look like another mid table side who've somehow got lucky. How have people not worked them out??

Agree sort of, in that they haven't produced the quality of Leeds or Hudds. Also they're nowhere as dangerous going forward as Fulham (sexiest football in the league) or The Massive can be. Both of these have been frustratingly inconsistent though).

However I really still rate McCleary, Moore and McShane at this level, and Swift is destined for bigger things I reckon. Plus I thought last summer that Stam would be a complete disaster and he's proved me completely wrong.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham

I think Stam is the difference, he seems to be a pretty good manager. Set up well, they have ground out lots of results. Our win at home against them was massive and I think Houghton had them figured out pretty well.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Well, I think you're being a tad harsh. Reading looked to have some menace even when we beat them 3-0 at home, which was one of our most commanding performances of the season. They play possession football, and wait for the right opportunity to unlock the opposition's defence. Kermogant, while a thug that took out Liam, is a thoroughly decent player at this level and has been for a long time. McLeary has been good for them this season, and Swift a useful addition (although under-used by Stam).
Yes Reading have sneaked a lot of (late) victories, and have been taken apart on occasion too, but up until the last 10-15 games of last season, it's none too different to what we were then.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It's the usual amusing and enjoyable post Edna, but I'm not sure it carries too much weight. This Reading team is doing better than we ever did under Gus with Will Buckley, Craig Noone, Liam Bridcutt (all highly rated by fans at the time) and Premier League Ashley Barnes, and it can't all be fault of the useless Labrador we had up front. So given what Stam has had to work with, he's seemingly doing a great job of getting Reading to play better than the sum of their parts, and if that means stroking it round boringly, looking for an opening that might never come, so be it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It might have been better to wait until tonight's results are in but here goes anyway.

View attachment 83615
View attachment 83616

8 points and 15 goals ahead of last season's storming finish. The end of last season, saw a rapid upturn in our goal difference, so whilst two more wins would put us ahead of last season's target, hypothetically four defeats would make it very close in terms of goal difference.

Two from 6 from us would require
6 wins from 6 for Reading given their goal difference.
6 wins and a drawer from 8 for Huddersfield.

Given we finished on plus 30 last season it might be better at this stage to speculate that we need an additional draw to overhaul last season's total. That would make no change for Reading who still would require 6 from 6, but would then require Huddersfield to go undefeated (6 wins 2 draws).

I know some people are gnashing their teeth over this analysis, but this thread started at Game 15 on the premise that beating last season's total would be enough. At times it has looked completely inadequate, but as we get to the business end of the season, it is starting to look tough for our challengers.

Double figures in number of games drawn for four of the top six last season – compared with ZERO teams this time around.

Well, I found it interesting...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's the usual amusing and enjoyable post Edna, but I'm not sure it carries too much weight. This Reading team is doing better than we ever did under Gus with Will Buckley, Craig Noone, Liam Bridcutt (all highly rated by fans at the time) and Premier League Ashley Barnes, and it can't all be fault of the useless Labrador we had up front. So given what Stam has had to work with, he's seemingly doing a great job of getting Reading to play better than the sum of their parts, and if that means stroking it round boringly, looking for an opening that might never come, so be it.

Stam has done an amazing job. Other than say Mcleary and Blackett, who else would we want from their squad? Their transfer fee/player wages appears modest, in a league where others such as Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Derby, Massive, have spent fortunes over recent transfer windows. Our wage bill is large too, and Hudd' have brought in a stack of Bundesliga players using Wagner's inside knowledge.

Against all that, Stam has kept them right up there.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I would factor out 3 goals and put us on +11 (as if we had beaten Norwich 2-0) for five zero's & albion don't happen every day....
a repeat of last season and an improvement at either end and despite the fact that we (so open to debate) did not score enough (i know,after march & eventually we did) an improvement at the other end (they knew what they were doing) letting Greer go (not that he was to blame) would see Albion go up...

Barring a injury pile up (maybe the odd dip in form and suspension) we are (keep it quite) going up maybe?

That said...............

to hell with it - GOING UP

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Reading just look like another mid table side who've somehow got lucky. How have people not worked them out??

Working someone's style out and being able to do anything about it are very different things.

Look at any home team against the vast majority of away sides in any league.

The team that comes to play leaves themselves vulnerable to the quick break.

Reading are a halfway house and don't really adapt their game to playing home or away. They pretty much do bore teams into leaving a gap and then exploit it but not in a rapier like fashion more robustly like a calculated militarily advance.

Whoever gets them in the play offs will be gutted because they'll suck the life out of the games and make it less about passion and more about slow attrition.

We all jest about their tinpotness but in essence fans vote with their feet for games on the basis of entertainment - contrast the 8k attendance swing between Saturday v Leeds and Tuesday v Blackburn. Even allowing for The Champions of Europe's world class attendance of 3.5k that's still 4.5k less fans.

I suppose it's one way of trying to be successful but if I'm deep down honest about our first season at the Amex the football didn't thrill all the time....

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
3+1 and last season''s heroic failures are toast. It may well be enough to see off the gallant Yorkshiremen as well. Close now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here