Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Sky Sports £54 price rise

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Hmm, I'm not criticising anyone for watching them, hell, if it's an Albion game that's on abroad rather than Sky I'd watch too, but my gut feeling is that if hosting the streams and providing links to the streams is illegal, you're essentially partaking in something that is illegal. I just wouldn't feel comfortable if I watched all of my sport and movies for 'free' because I'd feel like I was stealing them. I'm not saying I'm right or judging anyone else though.

I don't really feel that way about it. I know I have zero chance of being nicked, so the only issue is a moral one I suppose. I'm not to concerned about not helping sky screw up football even more, sky have not helped my love of football. In fact they have diminished it.
With kodi I can watch anything, anywhere, whenever I want.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just download kodi on your smartphone.

Could do, but I'm not one of those people who wants to watch Sky Sports (or anything else for that matter) on my phone when I'm out and about.

I'm happy to sit at my laptop and watch a match somewhere else in the house when she's got her soaps on. Or better still, in the summer, I'll take my laptop out into the garden to watch the football/cricket/baseball/golf (delete as applicable). And if I'm feeling REALLY feisty, I'll bring the spare telly downstairs, set that up in the garden, link it to my laptop and drink beer all afternoon watching whatever on the big screen.

This year I guess I'll just leave the laptop indoors and plug the Firestick into my "garden telly", which'll be even easier. Happy days.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Me and the missus watch a lot of programs on Sky Living and Sky Atlantic which weren't (last time I checked anyway) available elsewhere and as I watch a lot of sport we've stayed with Sky so far. Might have to reconsider now cost is going up!

Sky living is definitely on talktalks youview box. I'd guess BTs too.

Atlantic you'd be stuffed for though.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
That's what I meant by threaten :)

I find it helps to research the price of an alternative provider with a similar offer. I signed up to Sky on an 80% discount deal, which worked out about £20 p/m for their full package inc sports and movies.

When 12 months were up I called and said I was moving to BT as they were offering a good deal, got put through to retention a dept who offered me a 50% discount rate so more than I was paying initially but still a good deal. The guy told me to call back after 11 months before that deal runs out and they will do another one.

Did the same with my mobile phone- called EE and told them I was moving to BT for their current deal, they knocked 50% off what I was paying which actually worked out less than BT.

So, I think if you can explain to these companies an actual comparable product you will be moving to, they will take you seriously and do their best to match that price. As you are beyond just threatening to leave, they can see you have an alternative and don't really want to lose you to a rival company.

Does anyone actually pay full price for Sky?!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just bumping this. I've been paying £85 a month for the full package with Sky HD and Sky Go and just been online - the best offer from they have is to reduce it by around £12 a month for 10 months. I played the cancellation game and I've now had an email from them confirming this! There is a number to call if I want to change my mind but what is the collective wisdom on how long i should wait before making that call.........

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Received the letter from Sky this morning, and it's time to ditch Sky methinks.

Letter was classic marketing disingenuous slipperiness.

The rise was shown as £4.50 a month (yet whenever the Murdoch press quote the TV licence fee it's shown as £149 a year to make it appear more expensive), and there's no reference to the actual total cost, which is now £62 a month, or £744 a year.

This comes on top of a larger rise last year.

For that you don't even get HD.

No doubt Sky will claim that they have to recoup the cost of the new football deal, but no one forced them to pay such a sum to the PL, and similarly no one is forcing me to subscribe, so it's goodnight from me, and goodbye to them.
KODI

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I accept what you're saying about Kodi but on the plus side you can get a shedload more content. It's fairly simple once a little knowledge acquired, certainly far easier than all the useless functionality of my TV!

For me it's not the absolute cost but the principle of paying even more to absurdly over paid sports people

On the other hand I have come across (in retail banking) a great many people paying out a ridiculously large slug of their discretionary money on Sky and going without on what I consider to be fairly essential stuff, even going into debt to keep it going ... and that's not a small minority!

Another great thing I've been doing on KODI is downloading movies overnight through the Exodus add on. It uses up my midnight to dawn bandwidth and gives me a wide collection of movies to watch whenever I want.

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
Just bumping this. I've been paying £85 a month for the full package with Sky HD and Sky Go and just been online - the best offer from they have is to reduce it by around £12 a month for 10 months. I played the cancellation game and I've now had an email from them confirming this! There is a number to call if I want to change my mind but what is the collective wisdom on how long i should wait before making that call.........

First time I cancelled they rang me a couple of times in the fist two weeks of my months notice period. Eventually I settled for 10 months half price with no contractual tie in.

At the end of month 9 I cancelled again. They never contacted me so with three days of my cancellation period to go I rang them and got it half price for twelve months, albeit contracted in for for that period.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
First time I cancelled they rang me a couple of times in the fist two weeks of my months notice period. Eventually I settled for 10 months half price with no contractual tie in.

At the end of month 9 I cancelled again. They never contacted me so with three days of my cancellation period to go I rang them and got it half price for twelve months, albeit contracted in for for that period.

Bargain!

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

Don't bother going through Sky. It's much cheaper to use an independent Sky reseller.

I use Norsat, based in Horsham but they cover most of East and West Sussex. I took out my intial sky contract about 15 months ago. A 12 month contract with full sky package, phone and broadband. £54.00 a month! When the contract was up, I cancelled with Sky, went back to Norsat and got the same deal again, albeit having to use a relatives name but all my own bank details etc. Their Haywards Heath office number is 01444 318089.

It's quite simply the best deal I have found.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
With the crazy amount of money in the Premiership, I don't know why there's not a national campaign to boycott Sky. Surely people can cope without a bit of football on the telly?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

At he end of month 9 I cancelled again. They never contacted me so with three days of my cancellation period to go I rang them and got it half price for twelve months, albeit contracted in for for that period.

Thanks. I need to hold my nerve!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I played the cancellation game and I've now had an email from them confirming this! There is a number to call if I want to change my mind but what is the collective wisdom on how long i should wait before making that call.........
Forever.

I cancelled, and after a while they called with an improved deal. I said no deal. It cancelled. A few days later they offered me 50% off for a year and I said yes.
At the end of the year, I said I'd need to cancel again. The offers they gave weren't good enough, so I cancelled. This time they offered the same price my previous deal and I'm not tied in to 12 months.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You can buy a box for £20-40 and set up all the sports channels and stream them for free through your tellebox, just saying..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here