A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Frankly, VERY little needs to change.

IF we kept all our key players I would IDEALLY hoe for something like:

Manu, Ince, Greer(I don't dislike him AT ALL, just think he might go) all going

Bring in:

Solid centre back
Sidwell if available. One other younger central midfielder.
1 MEGA STRIKER
1 young striker, maybe a loan.

That's about it.

If ever there was a relatively EASY summer for recruitment this is it. We have a GREAT team there. It just needs one more sprinkling of stardust and in my opinion that is a QUALITY striker (not a dig at Hemed).

Kodija at Bristol looked a hugely talented player and someone like McCormack ALWAYS scores goals, no matter what you think of him.

From the lower leagues, Bradley Dack will surely get a move away from Gillingham this summer as will Nicky Ajose at Swindon who has been phenomenal in a terrible team.

Agree with most of that, especially the "easy summer for recruitment" comment. This summer, we are in an unusual position of RETENTION being far more important.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Baldock has to stay. If he's our worst striker then we've got a damn good strike force if he's not getting a game. He'd start for more than a few of our league opposition.

Get rid of Greer and go find the next Goldson in the lower leagues to fill his void.

I want strikers that score goals. Baldock simply doesn't at this level. Top scoring side in the league and he chips in with what...3 goals? CMS got slaughtered on here for getting a dozen playing up front on his own.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Release/Retire

GG
Calde :( but hopefully stay on as coach :)
BZ
Casper

Sell:

KLL
Holla
Elvis
JFC

Keep everyone else and go again.

Bit optimistic thinking we can sell Holla and Manu. For all the brilliance of last summer's recruitment, Manu was the exception that proved the rule. I loved the Huddersfield thread of Return to Sender after his second or third performance for them. Holla seems content to turn up for training, grab his wages and take weekends off.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Very strange, Lua Lua had a storming start to the season, who's to say he won't recover that form after a rest and a good preseason. Baldock seems to inherited the irrational hate previously dished out to Barnes, mainly from people whose understanding of football is a little superficial.
You've got to love a "If you don't agree with me it's because you don't know as much as me about football" post
Everybody is entitled to an opinion and if it doesn't agree with yours it doesn't mean it's wrong.

Shippers

Jan 12, 2016
Frankly, VERY little needs to change.

IF we kept all our key players I would IDEALLY hoe for something like:

Manu, Ince, Greer(I don't dislike him AT ALL, just think he might go) all going

Bring in:

Solid centre back
Sidwell if available. One other younger central midfielder.
1 MEGA STRIKER
1 young striker, maybe a loan.

That's about it.

If ever there was a relatively EASY summer for recruitment this is it. We have a GREAT team there. It just needs one more sprinkling of stardust and in my opinion that is a QUALITY striker (not a dig at Hemed).

Kodija at Bristol looked a hugely talented player and someone like McCormack ALWAYS scores goals, no matter what you think of him.

From the lower leagues, Bradley Dack will surely get a move away from Gillingham this summer as will Nicky Ajose at Swindon who has been phenomenal in a terrible team.

Whilst I like McCormack, I think he is of the wrong age, as he would probably cost well north of 5 Mil and he turns 30 in Aug. I would much rather look at these younger up and coming players.

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Greer
Calderon (coaching role ideally)
Crofts
JFC
Ince
Baldock
Lua Lua
Elvis
Holla

I agree with most of these, with the exception of Baldock and LuaLua.

Both have been really influential this season. LuaLua's early season form picked up a good 6-9 points by itself, he was unplayable.

The effect that Baldock has on a game appears to go unnoticed by quite a few. Can we do better? Yes. Should he be sold/released from the squad entirely? Absolutely not.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
IMO, assuming players don’t leave, all we really require is a dependable #9. Unfortunately I don’t think, despite his other attributes, Baldock quite fills that role.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
This is the most important summer transfer windows we have ever had and the main thing is keeping the core of squad together for a big push next season. As for the rest:

Calde should be moved into the "Nathan Jones" role and become first team coach. Bruno gets another year's contract. Rosenior is excellent full-back cover but another will probably need to be signed.

In central defence, if it is deemed that Rea can step-up then I would release Greer...If not, then I would not be against giving Greer another year on the grounds that he is clearly 4th choice behind Dunk, Goldson & the BFG.

In midfield it is imperative we keep both Kayal & Stephens and if it means giving them vastly improved terms to keep them then it should be done. I liked the look of Richie Towell when he played on Friday so he should be decent cover. Also, if Sidwell is out of contract at Stoke he will be worth signing on a free.

Out wide we are absolutely fine. When March is back fit we will have 5 wingers and all bring something different...That variety can not be under-estimated.

As for upfront, I like Baldock and is an asset...Also, we have a great record when he and Hemed play together. On the subject of Hemed, he has great on the whole and 17 goals in first season in English football is a great return. If Zamora is up to another season then give him a contract, but I fully expect him to retire...Thanks Bobby. Either way we will still need reinforcements and someone like Murray would be a decent signing. Also a smaller striker should be added...It has already been alluded to on this thread that we should be looking at Euro 2016 for players...Or take another look at South America. We should not try and get Wilson back at all.

With regards to Chicksen, Ince, Holla, JFC, Crofts & Manu (anyone else I have forgotten?), it is unlikely any of them have a future at the club so they need to go one way or the other.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
So that's Lua Lua, Championship Player of the Month and ripping the division apart before he got injured? Granted, not great since he came back but that happens sometimes when players haven't had regular football. I'd have thought any decision on him would come down to whether he physically can handle the rigours of the season, rather than not being able to cut it at this level.

LuaLua has been with us permanently at Championship level for five seasons now. In that time, other than a purple patch at the start of this season, how many times has he actually looked like a game changing winger at this level? In fact, I'm struggling to think of any player who has spent so long with us having such a little impact. Knockaert, March, Skalak and Murphy have all done more in a shorter period. Just because he does a nice backflip and retweets a lot doesn't mean he is a good enough player for a side who want to be challenging for the Premier League

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Calderon, Chicksen, Rea, JFC, Ince, Crofts, Holla, Lua Lua, Zamora, Ogrady

Thats 10 that be should moving on for One reason or another.

Id be delighted if we managed to get rid of 8 of them in reality.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I think Calde will retire but will hopefully get a role within the club in some capacity. Bobby will probably retire as well but I can't see GG wanting to hang up his boots yet so would offer him another year as a back up to Dunk, Goldson and BFG.

Offer Sidwell a deal as he is a capable deputy to Kayal and Stephens who will both hopefully stay, along with Knockaert who has been outstanding.

Lua Lua seems to have lost his edge and apart from a purple patch at the beginning of the season, still flatters to deceive - move him on or loan him out to get match time.

We need another striker to be our main goal getter and take the strain off of Hemed. I like McCormack but is he the answer? I see him as a Baldock replacement more than our main striker.

I also like the look of the young winger at Charlton - Luckman? who seems to have bags of pace and raw talent. A Lua Lua replacement maybe?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I wouldn't be surprised to see us offer Sidwell a contract.

I would keep Baldock as he really adds something. Get in another striker, cover at either right or left back as Bruno won't go on forever

That's probably it, maybe one more winger if we don't keep Kaz but I think we will and after a rest and pre season he could get back to how he was

what exactly does Baldock 'add' ? He's a striker that doesn't score goals......end of !

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Of the out of contract players, I think Ankergren, Calde, Chicksen, Crofts and Zamora will go. Greer might get another year if he's happy to be back up. Thought he did okay coming back into the side the last couple of games. Rea will depend how impressed we were with his loan spell but might also get another year to see if he develops further.

Of the others, I am sure we'll try to offload Holla and O'Grady. They may try to give Manu a full pre season and see if he improves (or try to offload him to a Dutch team). JFC and Ince both have potential still but can't see either fitting in 4-4-2, which we seem to be going for now.

I assume we'll offer new contracts to Stockdale, Bong, Kayal and Stephens as a priority as they are all out of contract at the end of next season. If we can keep all the key players from this season and add about five more of the quality we signed last summer, I'm confident we'll be up there again.

Re LuaLua, I agree he's not done a lot over five years. However, his future may depend on March's recovery and whether the club are concerned about potential bids for Knockaert. Hughton may also feel pre season is a chance to get him back to the level of the start of the season. However, there's always the danger of another injury setting him back again.

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
If we can get some decent money for him then Kaz has to go, he's lost that yard of pace and has been sussed out by every decent player he's come up against. Baldock has to go aswell imo, he is a decent player but nowhere near good enough to be a striker to take us up, 40 odd games with only 8 goals is no better than barnes/cms and baldock has played in a 4-4-2. Saying that we have a very good squad and if we can get 1 or 2 class strikers in and a couple of other signings we will be very dangerous next year (although I think Stephens will go)

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Lua Lua, Greer and baldock id keep as all can play a part and have done this year, yes i agree with the others maybe keep Ince as gives us something different in the middle of the park.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed on LuaLua. Time for him to drop down to League One and carve out a career.

We have had him for a longtime and likely through injury he has lost his edge and shine. I don't buy in to the needs a run in the side theory, as we just can't afford to carry players like him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here