Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will we rest players vs Man Utd ?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'd certainly consider rotating the squad through those games and I think Hughton will do so. I don't think the core will change all that much though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No chance. If a rotated squad got spanked 5-0, it would set squad morale back massively. It's not a risk worth taking, especially as Man Utd are not what they were. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could get something from that one anyway. Of the big six teams, I believe Man Utd is the team we are most likely to get anything from, especially if they underestimate us.

You've also got to take into account what players want and their personal aspirations. Yes, team comes first, but someone who is playing their heart out every game is hardly going to want to be rested for a big game at Old Trafford on the argument we won't get anything.

Play your best available team in every game. We have a squad to use, but use it at Old Trafford to get something, don't use it because you don't think you will.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Why the hell would we rest players?

Jose is renowned for playing very defensive football away, we could come out with points. Why would we just roll over and admit defeat by benching our best players? We held city to 2-0 when we weren't fully firing, we can give any team a good go at the Amex.

EDIT: forgot its at Old Trafford :ffsparr: but my point still stands. don't show respect to these big teams. stick it to em

We could rest Duffy as he is a bit rubbish...

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Dunk and Duffy arnt human, they dont need a rest.

The thought of playing Man United at home should be a enough to jeer up any tired players, playing at Old Trafford and Anfield etc is probably what most of the players looked for with the fixtures were released.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Wait until we are 5:0 down before making the changes.

In reality surely this game is as big for the players as it is for the supporters. To play at OT must be quite something. Would you want to take that away from our hard working players? Who is going to tell Knocky 'sorry mate, you're dropped'?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
No chance. If a rotated squad got spanked 5-0, it would set squad morale back massively. It's not a risk worth taking, especially as Man Utd are not what they were. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could get something from that one anyway. Of the big six teams, I believe Man Utd is the team we are most likely to get anything from, especially if they underestimate us.

Funnily enough my money was on Liverpool but you do have a point there (and hopefully so will we).

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wait until we are 5:0 down before making the changes.

In reality surely this game is as big for the players as it is for the supporters. To play at OT must be quite something. Would you want to take that away from our hard working players? Who is going to tell Knocky 'sorry mate, you're dropped'?

It's not like we're playing 2 games per week.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've also got to take into account what players want and their personal aspirations. Yes, team comes first, but someone who is playing their heart out every game is hardly going to want to be rested for a big game at Old Trafford on the argument we won't get anything.

Play your best available team in every game. We have a squad to use, but use it at Old Trafford to get something, don't use it because you don't think you will.

Whereas life long Utd fan would crawl over broken glass to play and score at Old Trafford.
Keeping GM fresh enough to do much the same 72 hours later.

Now if GM scores a couple off his arse v Stoke, would that swap still be playing a 'weakened' team?

I'm kicking myself for not writing earlier:-

What's the point in these threads, second guessing CH?
This is the bloke God goes too for a second opinion.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Drop Ryan – too short*.

*Or maybe because he might be a bit tired after a round-the-world trip that includes two legs of a World Cup play-off

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It isn't that simple though. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says, the next run of games is 11 matches in just 40something days. There is no way in the world that Bruno and Murray will manage all of them. Hughton has to decide whether to let them run themselves into the ground, and THEN have to rest them, or manage them through it with rotation.

With Murray it can be done in-game, of course. Try to get him playing every match, but bring him off when possible, to protect his fitness. He wouldn't want to do that with a defender.

Propper and Stephens are the toughest ones. Their pairing is crucial to how we are doing, but the effort asked of them every game is a concern, IMO. A fully firing Beram Kayal to come on for either / or at 60 minutes of a few games would be a huge help.

Agree with this.
Propper is the one that is more likely to need a rest at some point because, as you pointed out in another post, he's also played international games, unlike Stephens. Stephens and Kayal have also played together before, and developed an understanding.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
We need to keep an eye on goal difference.
You start playing around with a side that are working effectively together and we may start conceding a few too many, if that happens will heads start to drop and confidence fade? Not worth risking it in my opinion. Put out the strongest side we can and go for points.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Now if GM scores a couple off his arse v Stoke, would that swap still be playing a 'weakened' team?

Exactly. We've actually got a balanced squad to be fair, and we have a few players that can come in without weakening the team as such. So putting Hemed, March and Suttner for example as starters at OT for me isn't fielding a weakened team, it's fielding a changed team (subtle difference I feel).

Would I field a weakened team? No. Would I field a changed team? Yes, probably, but not many.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can see your thinking but

1) The first team players deserve to play at OT.
2) Whilst were doing well, they won’t be feeling tired or feeling in need of a rest.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No why should we every game irrespective of the oppopnents is winable and worth 3 points. If wre start picking and chosing games we can win it is the sure road to relegation.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Of the big six teams in the league, I actually think United is the team that, in theory, we have the best chance of getting something against. Their style of play is probably the one that we're most setup to play against.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not sure why, this group of players are used to playing Saturday and Tuesday from last season

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I can see your thinking but

1) The first team players deserve to play at OT.
2) Whilst were doing well, they won’t be feeling tired or feeling in need of a rest.
Not so sure about 2.

These kind of periods of games in quick succession are the ones that the newly promoted teams struggle with. Brighton need to work harder than most teams in the league as the players are not quite as good as most. It was a cruel blow in the fixture list to have man u, palace and Liverpool together in a week as well as Stoke been pushed closer to those

Even the likes of man city , spurs and man u struggle more in games after a champions league midweek game.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
To add, City only scored 1 goal - if we omit Dunk's own goal. I really think this is a game we could get a result. I'd take a draw, but I reckon winning isn't impossible.
crikey I think Watford,palace,stoke have shown if you run at city they totally destroy you on the break, they are in awesome form however someone has to beat them ? surely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here