Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Visa cards are currently NOT working

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Visa outage: payment chaos after card network crashes

The extent of the disruption is not yet clear but customers in the UK and Europe have been complaining that payments have been denied.

Barclays and Bank of Ireland advised customers to use ATMs to withdraw cash, which appear to still be working.

Visa is working to resolve the problem but one payments firm said transactions were now working intermittently.

The Payment Systems Regulator told the BBC it understood the problem to be limited to Visa card payments only. Mastercard said it was seeing no problems on its network.

Supermarket Tesco said that the problem was not affecting chip and pin payments, but that it was affecting customers using contactless payments.

My visa didn’t work yesterday

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sensible advice, If your Bank card is Visa, then ensure your credit card is Mastercard.

Resolves issues such as these, and should be standard approach.

And how would that solve a line out issue in a shop ? Also what about those of us without a credit card ?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
If you don't have a credit card use cash

So you're suggesting everyone without an alternative card should carry enough cash to cover what they plan to purchase on their card just in case ? :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And how would that solve a line out issue in a shop ? Also what about those of us without a credit card ?

I don't know what a line out issue is, but our Visa card worked in two places yesterday teatime, but then failed in Morrison's. My other half also has a MasterCard credit card, so he used that instead, which worked.
Does it mean no telephone lines working?
That wasn't the issue yesterday.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I don't know what a line out issue is, but our Visa card worked in two places yesterday teatime, but then failed in Morrison's. My other half also has a MasterCard credit card, so he used that instead, which worked.
Does it mean no telephone lines working?
That wasn't the issue yesterday.

It does indeed mean telephone/broadband lines down. Some of the problems yesterday were down to Visa but some were down to the Talk Talk network having a major outage. Many traders with PDQ machines on a Talk Talk line couldn't take any card payments not just Visa. Talk Talk issued a MSO notice to telecoms providers - although we knew before they sent that as we were taking hundreds of calls each hour from traders.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
It's intermittent. We've just done the weekly shop, and paid via Apple pay (linked to a Visa card) in Lidl's, then to Morrisons garage, but in Morrisons store just 25 mins later the payment was refused. Luckily my other half also has a Mastercard card, otherwise we'd have had to abandon the shopping, run right round to the bank to draw out cash.

You got your weekly shop for under £30 ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You got your weekly shop for under £30 ???

We spent £17 in Lidls, £20 in the garage, and then usually use Apple watch in Morrisons which is contactless but linked to our bank account via a Visa debit card.
Other customers were able to use chip and pin, some contactless. It was very random.

PS Would you like my DOB too?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
We spent £17 in Lidls, £20 in the garage, and then usually use Apple watch in Morrisons which is contactless but linked to our bank account via a Visa debit card.
Other customers were able to use chip and pin, some contactless. It was very random.

PS Would you like my DOB too?

I was just impressed you got your weekly shop done for less than £30 !!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There is when a pensioner still walks to the post office, collects their pension, gets shoved to the ground and their handbag taken, as happened to a good friend of mine in her 80s.

Unfortunate but an extremely rare occurrence. On the same basis you could argue don't carry cards in case you are mugged or subject to on line fraud

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Unfortunate but an extremely rare occurrence. On the same basis you could argue don't carry cards in case you are mugged or subject to on line fraud

Not so rare unfortunately, but a lot of pensioners now get their pensions paid in directly to their banks. Post Offices didn't like taking delivery of large sums of cash either.

Contactless limit is £30 but my I've used Google Pay for shopping up to £100 and probably more with no problem

Yes, Apple pay works the same way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So you're suggesting everyone without an alternative card should carry enough cash to cover what they plan to purchase on their card just in case ? :facepalm:

certain should carry some cash, if only a £10. this is at least 3rd major payment network outage in past 10 years or so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here