Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Return deposit on bottles.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Drinks bottles and can deposit return scheme proposed

Was only mentioning to a friend the other day about this. Used to have it when I was a kid for fizzy drink bottles, and obviously the milkman took back and reused milk bottles.

I'm not sure why it ever stopped but I think if my memory is correct it coincided with fizzy drinks appearing in plastic bottles.

Details of the scheme are not yet fully decided, but this has to be a good thing. :thumbsup:

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
I can remember in the seventies during the school summer holidays going round the local building sites collecting the empty Corona bottles that the builders had left behind,then taking them back to the shop.
They didn't seem to mind and as far as I can remember it didn't take too many to get a full bottle back with the proceeds.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Funnily enough here in South Australia we hav 10c back on all bottled drinks, drink cartons etc (excluding wine, milk and non drink bottles). It stops litter really well as if anyone does drop one, a large number of people collect them up and tale them to the recycle centre as extra income. I end up getting about $10 back a month.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Funnily enough here in South Australia we hav 10c back on all bottled drinks, drink cartons etc (excluding wine, milk and non drink bottles). It stops litter really well as if anyone does drop one, a large number of people collect them up and tale them to the recycle centre as extra income. I end up getting about $10 back a month.

Same here. Works really well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
while its a good idea to recycle in principle, is there any evidence this will make any actual difference? my plasitc bottles already go into recycle bin, sometimes into regular bin when out. how is this going to find its way into the environment let alone the pacific? i wonder if the sort of person who discards their waste on the side of the road is the sort ot hold on for the deposit, and it does nothing for other nations who many not care or have any facilities. and what are we doing about the all the other excess plastic, why just one prodcut type? i just dislike the preachiness and inconsistency of this.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Loads of Councils like Lewes have just spent a fortune introducing new recycling systems where everything goes in one bin and gets sorted. Will they now have to scrap this?!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
while its a good idea to recycle in principle, is there any evidence this will make any actual difference? my plasitc bottles already go into recycle bin, sometimes into regular bin when out. how is this going to find its way into the environment let alone the pacific? i wonder if the sort of person who discards their waste on the side of the road is the sort ot hold on for the deposit, and it does nothing for other nations who many not care or have any facilities.

I do often wonder if all our eco / environmental laws and ideas in this country and others will actually make a difference when other larger growing economies in the world are no where near the level we need to be and won’t be for some time like India & China it does seem futile when countries are happy to pump out green houses gas’s that dwarf the European output put together and sailors throughout the world chuck their waste overboard, I mean who’s gonna check that ? We can’t even stop the mutilation of thousands of sharks by one of these countries.

Basically we’re doomed and I wonder if me putting my plastic bottle in the recycling is actually going to make any difference other than make me feel good.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So no doubt like many others I put bottles out for recycling either as glass or plastic. But going forward I will have to stop this and take everything with me (I assume) to the supermarket and queue to put these items which were already being recycled into a machine to get a voucher where upon I will then need to join another queue to receive cash all before I start my weekly shop.
And will this be on everything such as jam jars or just drink bottles of glass and plastic.
I'm now looking forward to the even earlier Amex leavers as they seek to get their deposit back on their kids coke bottle before catching the train or bus.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
while its a good idea to recycle in principle, is there any evidence this will make any actual difference? my plasitc bottles already go into recycle bin, sometimes into regular bin when out. how is this going to find its way into the environment let alone the pacific? i wonder if the sort of person who discards their waste on the side of the road is the sort ot hold on for the deposit, and it does nothing for other nations who many not care or have any facilities. and what are we doing about the all the other excess plastic, why just one prodcut type? i just dislike the preachiness and inconsistency of this.

Just been on the news that recycling plastic bottles and cans in Germany ( where I happen to be today in Koln) anyway the recycling rate is 97% in Germany in the UK its 55% ..... Buy the bottle/can drink the product , put empty in machine and get deposit back...easy peasy.....

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I shall start stockpiling all my bottles and cans from now with the hope I will make a killing when this starts !

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Loads of Councils like Lewes have just spent a fortune introducing new recycling systems where everything goes in one bin and gets sorted. Will they now have to scrap this?!

Why are these expensive schemes necessary if everything pays its way? Not only is it money for kids and others it teaches them the work/ reward ethic and tidies the place up and teaches social responsibility. Money incentives as well as technology always change behaviour better than the dead hand of Government. Friend got £7.50 when scrap merchants came for her old washing machine the other day.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am a OCD recycler at home - but seven seasons at the Amex still can't work out those recycle bins on the concourses ???

Same. Every single game I stand there doing a double take: is my empty plastic beer glass Dry Waste or General Waste? It's all a bit vague. I tend to vary it so I at least get it right half the time :dunce:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just been on the news that recycling plastic bottles and cans in Germany ( where I happen to be today in Koln) anyway the recycling rate is 97% in Germany in the UK its 55% ..... Buy the bottle/can drink the product , put empty in machine and get deposit back...easy peasy.....

great aspiration, however this is UK where it will be a faff. there will be 2 machines which only accept the correct vessels, and dont cover 3rd and 4th types that have to be hand processed. and they will only be available at large supermarkets, with local shops only deploying 1 machine for 300-660ml bottles. we dont have consistent recycling across counties, let alone the whole country, and many recycling schemes still dump to land fill as the processing isn't in place or inadequate. focusing on bottles is a noble cause but a bit of a day-glo sticky plaster.

dont get me wrong i think we should be doing more recycling, this just feels a little bit like its not thought out, expensive deposit scheme headlining without anything about the process to deliver it.

Last edited:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I suspect I am barking up the wrong tree, when I find myself agreeing with beorhthelm - This may help push manufacturers into producing less waste, it may also help to bring down the cost of roadside recycling, frankly I value the convenience of the current system. In Adur at least we have one big bin collected once a fortnight and it works. Gove stands alone amongst his cohort of lazy rent a quote zealots in having boundless energy, which he seems to channel into endless disruption and minor tampering. This feels like another case in point. Online retailers will have fun with this. Ocado will be hit hard and I have some sympathy for them. Amazon may have to rethink their entire approach. It will create a massive stink if they are given an exemption.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
See the point is not what people do at home, its the stuff that gets thrown away when out. These now have a money value and so dont hang around long as people collect them up for cash.

I keep a couple of large boxes or bin bags in the garage and fill them, then drive them to a recycle center, 5 mins, who give me cash. Takes 15 mins tops.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here