Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
"The apartments are "newly-built social housing" in a complex where the price of private homes starts at £1.5m."

Don't get me wrong, it's excellent news something is being done BUT how can properties STARTING at £1.5m ever be classed as social housing ?

That's lower end in London....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Isn't it the local council that have sorted this rather than the government of Mrs May?

Yep - but the Government were I bit too late admitting the that the local council (on their door step) weren't up to it.

I'm gonna stick my neck out and applaud the PM tonight with her statements.

I have no idea whether this applies to the local council (I don't live round there) but "private" merged with "public" is a toxic mix.

What I mean by that is if you are "politically" opposed to state control but are quite happy to operate within it (and devoid of risk it gives you) you should really question what you are good at - because it certain isn't that.

Public authorities conning the public into believing they are "commercially efficient" by simply re-branding their departments with the word "team" doesn't wash any more.

That from experience is my "political" position. I don't favour state v privatisation at all. Fudge it like we have with those who look after social housing (or the railways) it will only end in tears.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Isn't it the local council that have sorted this rather than the government of Mrs May?

Evening Standard article says its the Homes and Communities Agency and City of London Corporation, and notes the developer provided the flats at cost price.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
How would the shareholders of the companies involved with the St Edward Property Development feel about the properties only being sold at cost.
Wouldn't it impact on any dividend pay out?

Maybe they'll pick up the land from the Grenfell Tower for a good price.

https://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/st-edward

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How would the shareholders of the companies involved with the St Edward Property Development feel about the properties only being sold at cost.
Wouldn't it impact on any dividend pay out?

Maybe they'll pick up the land from the Grenfell Tower for a good price.

https://www.berkeleygroup.co.uk/property-developers/st-edward

Maybe.

Though, I may be HOPELESSLY naïve here, but wouldn't you kind of hope, that the Grenfell site is not rebuilt?

Surely some form of memorial park or the like, is in order? I wouldn't want to live in a new block on the site, myself.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There are as many as 600 tower blocks with cladding that have to be tested.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40366646

Camden council have three blocks with the same cladding as Grenfell, and are in the process of being removed. The panels are aluminium with polyethylene insulation. The council have declared this is not was agreed with the contractors and are taking legal advice.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe.

Though, I may be HOPELESSLY naïve here, but wouldn't you kind of hope, that the Grenfell site is not rebuilt?

Surely some form of memorial park or the like, is in order?
They'll almost certainly find there's an urgent need for a new supermarket. Or possibly a multi-storey car park, though my money would still be on the supermarket or other megastore.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
They'll almost certainly find there's an urgent need for a new supermarket. Or possibly a multi-storey car park, though my money would still be on the supermarket or other megastore.

Have you seen the size of the site?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

Camden council have three blocks with the same cladding as Grenfell, and are in the process of being removed. The panels are aluminium with polyethylene insulation. The council have declared this is not was agreed with the contractors and are taking legal advice.

I look after the composite fire door department for my company and have had 5 unsolicited enquiries/requests for quotes in the last few days for FD60 (60 min rated) fire doors all from companies working on behalf of local authorities who have realised that their flat entrance doors don't meet the correct specifications and one yesterday also mentioned their block had external cladding. These enquiries were from all over the country so I think this is going to be found to be a widespread issue of shocking potential concequences.

In the previous two years I have only had two enquiries from new customers regarding these doors as most people go for the cheaper FD30 doors. Think this is at least going to force companies and local authorities to finally get their shit together

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
You may be correct or not, my point is that whilst people are suffering Corbyn and his cohorts seek to knowingly inflict unrealistics expextations on those at the lowest mental and physical state. They very well know that answers could not be given so shortly after the tragedy, even with the building smouldering and being too hot for the firefighters to enter on certain floors. On the one hand he critices the firefighters for not diseminating information then he applauds them for their bravery. Full of contradictions and political opportunism, he is the lowest of the low.

According to this resident , the Fire Service in Bangladesh would have handled the incident better .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40366646

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Unfortunately, it was Rydon who installed the cladding here (and the same Crowborough-based cladding supplier). They are based in Forest Row, which is about 4 miles from West Hoathly, and are one of Sussex's biggest companies. I know these blocks, as they are just down the road from my brother's flat. Presumably there will have to be checks in Sussex, on the Four Courts blocks in Hastings, and blocks in Brighton such as Dewdney Lodge, Nettleton Court, and the Swanborough flats in Whitehawk.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Fire confirmed as started by a fridge and Police are considering manslaughter charges regarding insulation/cladding that has failed tests.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-grenfell-tower-fire/?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_fb_tmg

"The Grenfell Tower fire started in a faulty fridge and the cladding and insulation on the block has failed safety tests, police said.

Metropolitan Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack said the Hotpoint FF175BP model had not been subject to any product recall.

Witnesses at the scene of the 24-storey blaze in north Kensington on June 14 described hearing one resident claiming it was his appliance which was responsible.

The number of people to have died, including those classed as missing presumed dead, remains at 79, she said.

Ms McCormack said the tests carried out as part of the investigation were "small scale", but added: "All I can say at the moment is they (tiles and insulation) don't pass any safety tests.

"What we are being told at the moment by the Building Research Establishment is that the cladding and insulation failed all safety tests."

She added: "Our investigation is to establish how the fire started."

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Fire confirmed as started by a fridge and Police are considering manslaughter charges regarding insulation/cladding that has failed tests.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...s-grenfell-tower-fire/?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_fb_tmg

"The Grenfell Tower fire started in a faulty fridge and the cladding and insulation on the block has failed safety tests, police said.

Metropolitan Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack said the Hotpoint FF175BP model had not been subject to any product recall.

Witnesses at the scene of the 24-storey blaze in north Kensington on June 14 described hearing one resident claiming it was his appliance which was responsible.

The number of people to have died, including those classed as missing presumed dead, remains at 79, she said.

Ms McCormack said the tests carried out as part of the investigation were "small scale", but added: "All I can say at the moment is they (tiles and insulation) don't pass any safety tests.

"What we are being told at the moment by the Building Research Establishment is that the cladding and insulation failed all safety tests."

She added: "Our investigation is to establish how the fire started."

Surely these tests should be done when 1) The buildings are built and 2) When renovated? If they were then how did they pass the fire tests or am I missing something?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Wow, misquoting a guy that's lost family, you really are a class act.

I didn't quote him , I summarized his comments in the BBC video .

This is a quote from the text below the BBC video " Mohammed Abdur Rahim, who lost family in the fire, says a third world country would have handled it better "

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least the Daily Mail is prepared to get to the heart of the problem:-

DC6VkT7WAAAIbLN.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
According to this resident , the Fire Service in Bangladesh would have handled the incident better .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40366646

I didn't quote him , I summarized his comments in the BBC video .

This is a quote from the text below the BBC video " Mohammed Abdur Rahim, who lost family in the fire, says a third world country would have handled it better "

You just decided to add the fire service into your post, as if he were criticising the London Fire Brigade directly. It's unclear whether he is talking about the response, aftermath, the escape, the rehousing, the immediate looking after of people...he's just clearly upset.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here