Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swan and Uni Bars Next Season - Home Only?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did the Student Union bars let in away fans last season? Also I noticed more away fans in the Swan and wasn't always asked for my ticket last season. Does anyone know if that will continue?

I've got a Man City mate who intends to come down on their supporters club coach. I'd like to catch up for a beer before but not in Dick's as we'll have under 18s with us. I'm guessing when the coaches get there a quick trip in to town and back will be pushing it time wise.

Cheers in advance if anyone knows.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would be nice to know the score on the Uni bars. Load of wise guys seem to head up that way who are patently non-student. Maybe it's open house which would be just grand. Do you just have to give them MONEY? Or maybe it's a well kept secret, like us who always gets a seat on the secret post-match bus that isn't a 25. Really HATE queues, as you may have already gathered. Always grand to leave the queues to bennies who actively subscribe to that kind of thing. Stadium couldn't function otherwise.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Would be nice to know the score on the Uni bars. Load of wise guys seem to head up that way who are patently non-student. Maybe it's open house which would be just grand. Do you just have to give them MONEY? Or maybe it's a well kept secret, like us who always gets a seat on the secret post-match bus that isn't a 25. Really HATE queues, as you may have already gathered. Always grand to leave the queues to bennies who actively subscribe to that kind of thing. Stadium couldn't function otherwise.

We've drunk in the Uni bar behind the West Stand quite often but heard from their staff and door staff that it wouldn't be open to non-students next season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We've drunk in the Uni bar behind the West Stand quite often but heard from their staff and door staff that it wouldn't be open to non-students next season.

Cheers. My assumption is with so many big / local games it's all going to be home only again except Dick's which would be a shame. I would hope they'd open up for City though as there are no students present at that time of year.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The Hive bar was very popular over the past few years. Decent beer, in glass, good food and somewhere to sit. All at a good price too.

Then it started to change and they couldn't seem to make their mind up if fans were allowed in or not. They did still let us in after they said they wouldn't, and even added our names to a list for future entry, but seemed to change their mind again. Beer prices jumped up a fair bit too - suspect they went back down on non-match days.

Not sure being in the PL makes much difference - we were selling out to home fans anyway. If most Albion fans didn't even know the bar was there, away fans wouldn't!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Don't know if it's open to football fans on match days but there is a bar in Sussex Uni in first building by the zebra crossing, after you've come up from the foot tunnel under A27. Been served there before but never tried when wearing football colours.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Cheers. My assumption is with so many big / local games it's all going to be home only again except Dick's which would be a shame. I would hope they'd open up for City though as there are no students present at that time of year.
I'd never had any trouble getting into the uni bar, right up until the last game of the season, when they had bouncers on the door and flatly refused us admission as we were (clearly) not students. I would take that as a sign of things to come. Every silver cloud has a rainy lining.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Don't know if it's open to football fans on match days but there is a bar in Sussex Uni in first building by the zebra crossing, after you've come up from the foot tunnel under A27. Been served there before but never tried when wearing football colours.

That's actually the one I was talking about.

Seagulls perm

Banned
Apr 20, 2017
Good thread. For the vast majority of PL fans the game at the Amex will be their must do away fixture of the season. So, some definitive statements would be worth seeing.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Doesn't that only serve booze for low priority matches so might be the same issue? Excellent Plan B if it's open :thumbsup:

I very much doubt that it will be to be honest. A good shout re the uni bars though. With the students all off on their holidays it would make a good revenue earner l would of thought.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
They should open, and advertise the fact. And they should charge us regular town prices. If I was running those bars that is what I would do, it really is a no brainer from there point of view. All Uni bars are super dead at the weekend, and Sussex has several so they can keep some exclusively for the students.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What's happening with the Hikers Rest?

It was meant to be opening as a cafe/bar this summer but work seems to have stopped on it. I'll try to find out what's going on when I next go to their other shop

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They should open, and advertise the fact. And they should charge us regular town prices. If I was running those bars that is what I would do, it really is a no brainer from there point of view. All Uni bars are super dead at the weekend, and Sussex has several so they can keep some exclusively for the students.

So a friend tells me.......

With reference to the Hive Cafe-Bar on the Brighton Uni campus (behind the West Stand). It is run by the Students' Union whom rent the space from the University. They have a tenancy agreement which states that only members of the University community (and up to four of their guests) are allowed to use the facility. The Union's interpretation of that clause in the agreement had been a little lax and a number of supporters were using the facility (The Blues Away Club for example). The University then clamped down on the Union after a fan (who had been barred) repeatedly tried to get into the venue to abuse staff causing lots of issues for the security.

Supporters can still use the venue (prices are no longer increased) if they are signed in by someone with University ID (staff or Students).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The Hive has always been open until recently, they charged near on town prices (after previously being cheap) and no advertising required as it was rammed as more people got to know about "the secret bar."

I shall remember fondly those halcyon days of a choice of decent craft lager that cost next to nothing, accompanied with a hearty panini or pizza and a chair to sit in and a quick wander down to the West 15 minutes prior to kick-off.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I shall remember fondly those halcyon days of a choice of decent craft lager that cost next to nothing, accompanied with a hearty panini or pizza and a chair to sit in and a quick wander down to the West 15 minutes prior to kick-off.

PM me when you want to go again and you'll be on a guest list.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here