Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Baldock

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The Barnsley one was in the list, I think.

The two he refers to above were away to Sheffield Wednesday (not brilliant from Westwood, but a dream of a ball forward from Dunk) and home to Reading (ran on to Bruno's chip, held off McShane, then lashed it past Al Habsi from six yards).

Correct. Both delicious goals and I'm really of the view that the Reading one was within the top three scored this season (alongside Sidwell and Pocognoli). I also thought the one he scored vs Preston(?), when set up by a Bruno cross from a Norwood through-ball, was a cracker, and a great team goal.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not happy.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At risk of sounding a bit HB&B, I spoke to SB last night at the awards thing and asked him direct if he'd be fit for the last two games.

He said no. Shame, I think he works so well with Murray, and he's a very intelligent, technically gifted player.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of the best bits of management done by the club, this season, was squeezing a little over half a season out of Baldock.

I was sure promotion would once again be derailed by injuries to him and...

...Murray :facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
One of the best bits of management done by the club, this season, was squeezing a little over half a season out of Baldock.

I was sure promotion would once again be derailed by injuries to him and...

...Murray :facepalm:

In January I was gutted the club didn't acquire a striker to take over the line. We were so dependent on Murray and I thought our luck would run out in him remaining injury free. For once, the football gods were on our side.

SB is a quality forward, with pace. But due to his injury record, we must get in another striker or two this summer of quality. If not, we would most likely do a miserable M'boro.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Reoccurring injuries to players makes it tricky to manage the recruitment for the Prem. It will be good to see Baldock in the Prem and 100% fit, but from what we have seen he cannot be relied on fully next season unless this issue is sorted out over the summer. We clearly need another speedy striker anyway in the summer window, but depending on Baldocks fitness we may have to buy another striker in January. I hope he will be fit and ready for it otherwise it will be a waste of his talent, and let down by his body.

Doesn't matter how good a player is, if they spend a lot of time injured it can be very costly and not much use. We had certainly better make sure that the next speedy striker we purchase has no history of injury.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Reoccurring injuries to players makes it tricky to manage the recruitment for the Prem. It will be good to see Baldock in the Prem and 100% fit, but from what we have seen he cannot be relied on fully next season unless this issue is sorted out over the summer. We clearly need another speedy striker anyway in the summer window, but depending on Baldocks fitness we may have to buy another striker in January. I hope he will be fit and ready for it otherwise it will be a waste of his talent, and let down by his body.

Doesn't matter how good a player is, if they spend a lot of time injured it can be very costly and not much use. We had certainly better make sure that the next speedy striker we purchase has no history of injury.
I can't see SB as anything other than the 5th (luxury) striker.

It'll a complete waste of his talents, but the fact is, even as 5th choice (3rd choice runaroundy) striker, still nobody would guarantee his fitness at the time he'd be needed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't see SB as anything other than the 5th (luxury) striker.

It'll a complete waste of his talents, but the fact is, even as 5th choice (3rd choice runaroundy) striker, still nobody would guarantee his fitness at the time he'd be needed.

I think we need two strikers of top flight quality, one of Murray's style and one with exceptional pace. Your 5th choice sounds right.

Interesting contract discussions between the club and Hemed / Baldock this summer. They're obviously on Championship wages and will be expecting huge PL level pay rises. Will they get them if there are three strikers ahead of them in the queue to play, and with Baldock's unfortunate injury record.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think we need two strikers of top flight quality, one of Murray's style and one with exceptional pace. Your 5th choice sounds right.

Interesting contract discussions between the club and Hemed / Baldock this summer. They're obviously on Championship wages and will be expecting huge PL level pay rises. Will they get them if there are three strikers ahead of them in the queue to play, and with Baldock's unfortunate injury record.

I think we have to believe the club when they say there won't be wholesale changes.
Hemed and Murray are fine.
Hemed and Baldock have a year left on their contracts - they'll both get paid (to a point) and renewed.

We have to be pretty much certain a better Baldock will be arriving.
The record signing we should all be excited about
After that I'd like to see a 'decent' 'worth a punt' fella in as well, taking the place of the elusive yoof teamer stepping up.

From there let form, fitness and the manager sort it out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here