Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fans United - 20 Years On...

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Husband and I lived in Cambridge at the time and I have no recollection of how we found out about Fans United. I remember thinking it was a nice idea, but that we'd be lucky if many other fans turned up in any meaningful numbers.

I can still remember walking up Sackville Road, and it being fairly quiet. We then turned into Old Shoreham Road, and the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. So many fans of so many other teams - and all there to take a stand on our behalf. I'll never forget it.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Lots of references to the Chelsea fan: does anyone have any idea who he was? He's like the unknown warrior of our struggles. Wonder if he realises that he's remembered after all these years

He was a Brighton based Chelsea fan & used to watch Albion a lot during the late 70's. Drank in the Bo'sun, sort of guy who was always up to mischief but very likeable.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sweet. Cool that so many folk made their own contribution to the day.

Warren, you're a middle aged man, and you talk like my son. Oh, hang on, he's 31 now :facepalm: :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was a Brighton based Chelsea fan & used to watch Albion a lot during the late 70's. Drank in the Bo'sun, sort of guy who was always up to mischief but very likeable.
[MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] ???? !!!!! :bowdown: :whistle::lolol:

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Can remember being in the east stand lower end looking at the north stand thinking " why didn't we get here early ??!!! ".
Only time I stood in the east as always in the north from the first time I went in 1975.............the rest of the day is a complete blur , much like most of the 90's !!!

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Still got my certificate in a scrap book in my Mum's cellar.

Yea I ve got loads of albion paraphernalia my favorite though is this one 20170209_222313.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A few bits from those bad old days:moo:

Still got my gulls eye and the certificate is in my Albion Struggle Scrape book along with news paper reports from that season.

A fantastic day, in the North Stand that filled me with emense pride and most of all hope for the future of the club and that future generations would have a local club that may some day challenge with the best clubs in the land.

Loved the Chelsea fan leading the singing, the mist, Craig Maskell throwing the hat trick ball in the North Stand.

I love this club, when someone feel so close to something they think they may lose it that love intensifies and it did.

Still got my gulls eye and the certificate is in my Albion Struggle Scrape book along with news paper reports from that season.

A fantastic day, in the North Stand that filled me with emense pride and most of all hope for the future of the club and that future generations would have a local club that may some day challenge with the best clubs in the land.

Loved the Chelsea fan leading the singing, the mist, Craig Maskell throwing the hat trick ball in the North Stand.

I love this club, when someone feel so close to something they think they may lose it that love intensifies and it did.

It was the best of times,it was the worst of times.???

veuve

Jun 27, 2015

Bit of a love it in with this bloke,however when we went in the tavern for our usual pre match he was anti Brighton,locals had a word at he changed his tone..

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
My mate printed that one??? We did they think its all over shirts too!:moo:

Yea I remember them but didnt have one well done though you should do a 20 years on tee shirt we thought it was all over now were in the top flight.slogan I should patent that hope I havent just cursed us.with a picture of Archer on the front with his black eye than on the back TB

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
He was anti Albion in the tavern untill a few locals had a word,then he changed his tune.No hero just

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
Though all of my family were from Brighton I grew up in Ashford in Kent, surrounded by Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool fans. Although a Brighton 'fan' inasmuch as I always followed their scores, when the Premier League started I felt like I needed to pick a PL team, and Villa were doing quite well that first season so I picked them. I stuck with them for a long time but it's an eternal regret that I didn't do much to support the Seagulls as they spiralled down the league. I'd only ever been to one previous game at the Goldstone, Jan 1994, beating Blackpool 3-2. Without having a job in my teens I couldn't afford to catch the interminable train down the coast, let alone a ticket.

But I'd get my chance at Fans United. I was 18 and doing two weeks' work experience in Hove and FU fell in middle weekend. I wore my Villa shirt that day, and was in the west stand. I remember the fog outside, the effigy, chatting with loads of fans at the Hogshead. No-one could quite believe how well we played that day. One of my favourite ever days down the football. Being around in Hove for another week I'd get to go to a more tense game against Exeter a few days later at the Goldstone, think we won 1-0. The great escape was on.

After that week, the Albion and Villa were two equals in my life, and though I'd never make it to Priestfield (getting to Gillingham is a ******* from Ashford), I'd go to uni in Brighton and go to plenty of games at the Withdean. I'd also get on the big screen at an Atlanta Braves baseball game wearing my United Colours Of Football shirt - wish I still had that. Didn't truly renounce Villa for a few years more, but I just felt a spiritual connection with Albion after Fans United.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here