Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I know there are some old fans on here but......

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
Every once in a while I do have to remind myself:-

This is as good as it's going to get.

You really should allow yourself to dream a little of what could lie in the not too distant future. If Leicester managed it, why not us?

A top four finish in the Premier League

Champions League football

Knocky v Messi at the Amex

I could go on (I do in my dreams...)

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have to say this is probably the first time in the near 50 years I have been supporting Brighton that I actually believe we have a team capable of finishing the job in hand.

Yes, I know there is a lot that could go wrong between now and May 7th, but I have never in all my years watched a Brighton team that made me feel so positive and gives me that feeling, that - "you know what, we can do this"!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I know it's counting chickens, but we can dare to dream.

I want us to be a Stoke / Sotton type team - get to the prem and stay there - mid / top half - maybe even B'muff = mid or a bit below - but not getting a pasting every week
I don't want to be Baggy boing / bouncebackability or a Sunderland, perennially 4th from bottom and losing almost every game.
Could we ever do a Leicester and fluke it? Hell Yeah !

We've waited long enough - when we get there, I want to stay there ....

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not sure. Different times. The 70's had those cup runs (OK it was the league cup but who cared?). The whole match day experience was different with hooligans a plenty. Run down grounds, fences & searches. Getting searched and manhandled by the police at away grounds was common place. Could never wear any team colours away from home. At home it was a mans game. Very few families or even women. As a team we were good but not that good. Today we are better all round.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Golden days at the Goldstone indeed. 'Running down the Shoreham Road, to see Alan Mullery's aces' !
The list above could be a description of our team now! The only thing that compares is the feeling hope and confidence.
This is the most confident I have felt in 40 years about our chances of going up and staying up. A lot depends on CH staying IMHO, legend of a Brighton manager.
Keep the faith.
:albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lawro, Stevens, Wardy, Sully, Horton, Moseley, Robinson......have we got players better than them now? Impossible really to compare one era with another..........think I'll make up my mind if/when we're doing OK in the PL.

Wardy, much as I loved him was very average in the top two divisions, Knocky is the nearest we have and he does compare, can you imagine Knocky in League 2 which is where Wardy really shone? Murray compares well to Robinson. Stockdale is as good if not better than Moseley. I think both Dunk and Duffy will prove to be better than Foster who was very slow and a bit agricultural in style although a good leader and header of the ball.

Lawrenson is the best player I have ever seen in the stripes, Dunky will do well to get close to Lawro at his peak.

Horton probably has no equal in the current midfield but Stephens, Sidwell and Kayal run him close

March and Murphy compare to Sully and Ryan imo.

Bruno is as good a right back as we have ever had and Bong is right up there too.

So yes I do think this current SQUAD is the best we have had since I started watching in 1975. Time will tell as they do need to get promoted and stay up to truely be compared

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I reserve judgement until I see this team tested in the Prem.

If you were going to make a composite side of the 2016 vintage and the old Division One side then I still fancy the likes of Lawrenson, Stevens, Foster, Case and Moseley would take some shifting, not to mention the side of the mid-80s with Penney, Connor and Dean Saunders.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I thought our 1978/9 team that took us up were exceptional and the team that took us to the cup final, although eventually proved not good enough to keep us up, was a great side with very good players.

Neil Smiley and Gary Howlet were great little players on the wing. I did enjoy the football we played in 83 despite our relegation.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
You really should allow yourself to dream a little of what could lie in the not too distant future. If Leicester managed it, why not us?

A top four finish in the Premier League

Champions League football

Knocky v Messi at the Amex

I could go on (I do in my dreams...)

Its beginning to look as if we could be promoted however thats where the dream ends,just look at the teams we will be up against and after the successful recent years it wont be long before fans will be demanding manager and players be moved on so make the most of it now

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
..can anyone remember a better team than this one for resilience and the killer instinct?

I thought our 1978/9 team that took us up were exceptional and the team that took us to the cup final, although eventually proved not good enough to keep us up, was a great side with very good players

In my 44 years of supporting brighton, I think this is the one!

Tremendous keeper

Powerful defence

Talented and competant midfield.

Skilful and fast wingers

Talented forwards and prolific goalscorers

Extremely talented bench

Brilliant manger and back room staff

Visionary owner.

These are certainly the good days.

I'll certainly go along with that (58 years of watching). I'm loving this squad, and their togetherness. I did think the teams of the 70's which Mullery put together (Ward, Mellor, Lawrenson, Horton etc) played some pretty good football at times, but the current squad under Hughton and Trollope are consistently good.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not sure. Different times. The 70's had those cup runs (OK it was the league cup but who cared?). The whole match day experience was different with hooligans a plenty. Run down grounds, fences & searches. Getting searched and manhandled by the police at away grounds was common place. Could never wear any team colours away from home. At home it was a mans game. Very few families or even women. As a team we were good but not that good. Today we are better all round.
good old days :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here