Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
May the best men win the two challenges.
I've got noone to chase on the 5k table as the gap is too large just a few to hold at bay and an attempt to grab the silver Age Grade position from [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] . May be feasible although he is returning from injury.

I think you have some time on your hands! I stepped out, very gingerly, for the first time in ages last night. No adverse reaction so I’m going to try 5 miles tomorrow and see how I get on with that. It was nice getting out for a trot last night though.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sub 1:30 will be tough on that course but a good target. I was 1:32:16 last year when it was pretty hot, so hopefully it’s cooler this time around.

Hopefully, I snuck a 1:29:59 gun time at Windsor last year (really had to pelt it down the Long Walk for that!), which has even more elevation gain, hence the desire to have another crack at Barns Green!

I just hope I can get my back cleared up and get a couple more runs in before next weekend.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
May the best men win the two challenges.
I've got noone to chase on the 5k table as the gap is too large just a few to hold at bay and an attempt to grab the silver Age Grade position from [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] . May be feasible although he is returning from injury.

That training with the Arena 80 guys (which sound scarily intense) must give you a good chance of an AG gold? (I'm still crocked, so much so that I've switched my attention to what remains of my upper body!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That training with the Arena 80 guys (which sound scarily intense) must give you a good chance of an AG gold? (I'm still crocked, so much so that I've switched my attention to what remains of my upper body!)

Age and recovery. I’ve just recovered from Monday. I’ll need to be careful initially. Any injury and i’ll screw up November’s trek.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
All 27 Couch to 5K runs complete. I am a born again runner at 51. Highly recommend the program to anyone who wants to get in 5K shape. Plan on maintaining the 5K distance for a couple of months and then launching into the Couch to 10K in November.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My 19:30ish parkruns have become almost 21:00 parkruns after two months of reduced activity and all the aches and pains of plantar fasciitis. My training pace of 4:35/km has become about 4:50/km. But the PF has been feeling better than ever, I can now only feel it occasionally and only quite mildly. I’ve decided to take this week off as I’m away next week so that gives me two weeks off to hopefully give my feet the final breather they need to overcome this absolute ******* of an injury. By the time 1st October comes round I hope to be fit and ready to start the long road back. So my question to people who have been affected by injury is what sort of plan should I follow in the first few weeks back and how quickly can I expect to be back to my May/June peak?

Depends what you want to train for, and how hard you want to train. I would ease yourself back in gently and build up over the course of a few weeks to a month, you don't want to rush yourself back. I would set targets too, like wanting to run a sub-20 on Christmas Day at the inevitable parkrun! I think Worthing did one last year, but I'm traditionally a Preston Park man on the big day going forward.

Also, I wonder whether Worthing and Lancing will offer a New Years Day double bill to rival Hove Prom and Hove Park.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I put my application in for the Boston Marathon on Monday. I've got a 3.27 buffer under my qualifying time but it's looking like that won't be enough (last year the cut was 3.23 and they're saying there's been an increase in applications this year). This is obviously a little bit frustrating, given it's not exactly a small margin. However, in anticipation of not making the cut I'm already planning my next marathon to try and qualify for next year. Is anyone here familiar with the Phoenix Marathon? It looks like a great location and it's pretty much all downhill, which suits me! I'd be very tempted to push for the elusive sub 3-hour mark if conditions are right and I'm in good shape.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My 19:30ish parkruns have become almost 21:00 parkruns after two months of reduced activity and all the aches and pains of plantar fasciitis. My training pace of 4:35/km has become about 4:50/km. But the PF has been feeling better than ever, I can now only feel it occasionally and only quite mildly. I’ve decided to take this week off as I’m away next week so that gives me two weeks off to hopefully give my feet the final breather they need to overcome this absolute ******* of an injury. By the time 1st October comes round I hope to be fit and ready to start the long road back. So my question to people who have been affected by injury is what sort of plan should I follow in the first few weeks back and how quickly can I expect to be back to my May/June peak?

Very carefully.......can so easily come back if you over-stress it too early. Softly softly....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Haven't visited my Hove Parkrun boys for a while. Anyone there tomorrow or shall I stick to the windy prom?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I put my application in for the Boston Marathon on Monday. I've got a 3.27 buffer under my qualifying time but it's looking like that won't be enough (last year the cut was 3.23 and they're saying there's been an increase in applications this year). This is obviously a little bit frustrating, given it's not exactly a small margin. However, in anticipation of not making the cut I'm already planning my next marathon to try and qualify for next year. Is anyone here familiar with the Phoenix Marathon? It looks like a great location and it's pretty much all downhill, which suits me! I'd be very tempted to push for the elusive sub 3-hour mark if conditions are right and I'm in good shape.

That's depressing to hear. I also put an application in on Monday, and coincidentally, my buffer is also exactly the same as yours 3 min 27 sec (I'm in the 60-64 category). Fingers crossed!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very carefully.......can so easily come back if you over-stress it too early. Softly softly....

A big, fat, massive, THIS. I was out for three months with tendonitis, pushed it on my return (running and playing / coaching football in my late 40s, what was I thinking!) and then went out for five months with a groin strain and a return of the tendonitis. I literally did nothing for five months, got fat, rested, and started jogging again at Christmas. Although I was able to do the Brighton Half at the end of Feb it was 12 mins off my PB and that was deliberate.

Since then I have upped it by maybe half a mile a week, not stressed if I couldn't train and very gently adjusted my pace and diet. I'm now back to where I was three years ago but it's taken since last Christmas.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Talking of being back to where I was three years ago though I ran my fastest ever 1k (4.01) and 1 mile (6.35) on the seafront at lunchtime. It was very much wind assisted but if you're going to go for a few Strava segments you might as well do it with a force 7 at your back :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I’ll be there - it’s my 200th - a million metres as [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] put it!

:clap2:

Massive congrats. I have a daughter going to Beavers camp and a son to football training at 9am and 9.30am tomorrow morrning, therefore a three line whip not to go to parkrun. Hence the one mile speed trial. I'm hoping to parkrun next Saturday as part of my final Bright10 training / taper - should ensure that I only go for a gentle 6 or 7 on the Sunday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here