Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Poor support when we needed it most

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
The Amex is a nice ground and all that but not designed with any thought whatsoever in helping to create an atmosphere. The Northstand is too small and too far from the away fans. The West upper should not be relied on for atmosphere as its miles from the pitch and cut off by 3000 prawn sandwich munchers. Forget the East (I was in it Saturday). Even Sussex by the sea is very disappointing as most just clap along and quietly mumble the words.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Amex is a nice ground and all that but not designed with any thought whatsoever in helping to create an atmosphere. The Northstand is too small and too far from the away fans. The West upper should not be relied on for atmosphere as its miles from the pitch and cut off by 3000 prawn sandwich munchers. Forget the East (I was in it Saturday). Even Sussex by the sea is very disappointing as most just clap along and quietly mumble the words.

Agree with one point - a larger NS would help. Danny Levy at Spuds freely admits that their new Kop follows the Anfield model and that they did not want 4 homogenous sides like the dead Emirates.

But the Amex can have a great atmosphere and has on many an occasion. It started well yesterday but the increasingly comotose performance by the players yesterday killed expectation and made everyone nervous in a must win cup final.

Jan 30, 2008
Thought our support today was reactive rather than proactive. When “come on Brighton” is your loudest chant you’re not backing the players.

For the first 5 mins the players were fantastic and so were we but after that Hudds were louder more often.

Two split groups in the North competing with each other yet again. WSU not joining in often enough. And, to be fair, the players making mistake after mistake just as we got going.

Before you ask I’m back of WSU North End. Personal tally = Songs started 3, other people’s songs taken up 2, songs joined in with all. Still too quiet for me where I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm18Ko06g0Q it won't get any better ,its finished !
regards
DR

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Look - Murray’s penalty miss and Duffy’s brain fart are not conducive moments to fire the crowd. Throw in some glaring misses when we are still in a relegation fight and things are going to be massively nervous.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Haven’t had time to read all the thread, have we named and shamed those who didn’t fully participate yet?

There are rumours of someone out of key in West Stand Lower, but shock seems to be reserved for allegations of miming in the North Stand to Brighton Aces. Now we have this information we can make sense of Duffy's blind pass.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
There were one or two regulars behind me who were missing. Their replacements were sub-standard.

Give them a few games, they'll find their voice. If not we could loan them out as supporters for Crawley Town.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
There were one or two regulars behind me who were missing. Their replacements were sub-standard.

Yes but I suspect they are now refreshed after a nice trip to Cyprus and are probably big fans of Frappe with milk no sugar and no doubt will be in full voice for the visit to smellhurst.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
The Amex is a nice ground and all that but not designed with any thought whatsoever in helping to create an atmosphere.
This is a quite incredible statement even by NSC standards.

Have you ever watched back an Amex game that has been on telly with the volume turned up to a reasonable level? When we are doing well in a game and the crowd are singing the noise generated inside The Amex is AMAZINGLY GOOD and is usually remarked upon by the commentators as being exceptional.

Slightly ironically, the Sky highlights from yesterday include a reference from the commentators to the superb atmosphere created by the Albion fans and the statement "if you can't be inspired by this atmosphere then you should give up playing" ....!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
This is a quite incredible statement even by NSC standards.

Have you ever watched back an Amex game that has been on telly with the volume turned up to a reasonable level? When we are doing well in a game and the crowd are singing the noise generated inside The Amex is AMAZINGLY GOOD and is usually remarked upon by the commentators as being exceptional.

Slightly ironically, the Sky highlights from yesterday include a reference from the commentators to the superb atmosphere created by the Albion fans and the statement "if you can't be inspired by this atmosphere then you should give up playing" ....!!!!!!!

Yes I agree.....when it's loud it is very loud. Bit flat yesterday but still good at times. Always sounds reasonable on the tellybox

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Agree with this to a point. I’ve heard that the acoustics have been designed to maximise the noise on the pitch but that means that you can’t hear another stand from where you’re sitting. When I’ve been in the North you can’t hear the away fans or the other end of the NS. When you’re in the WSU, my normal seat, you can’t hear the songs the scoreboard lot sing at all unless everyone joins in.

All seater is partly to blame. At the Goldstone everyone who sung was in one block and sometimes it carried elsewhere. There were little groups from all over but we all sung together. Right now there are still two groups in the NS who think they are more important than a big, ground wide, noise. However the north stand is too small and the west too big. We can’t change that though and it hasn’t mattered in other massive games.

It’s too late now but moving away fans in to the south east corner and making the standing “tolerance” area with the cheapest tickets bang next to them would improve the atmosphere 100% and we’re still one of the best in this league. Anyone hear a half empty Emirates singing “sing when you’re winning” to the scummers today? Embarrassing. They don’t even sing when they’re 2-0 up.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with this to a point. I’ve heard that the acoustics have been designed to maximise the noise on the pitch but that means that you can’t hear another stand from where you’re sitting. When I’ve been in the North you can’t hear the away fans or the other end of the NS. When you’re in the WSU, my normal seat, you can’t hear the songs the scoreboard lot sing at all unless everyone joins in.

All seater is partly to blame. At the Goldstone everyone who sung was in one block and sometimes it carried elsewhere. There were little groups from all over but we all sung together. Right now there are still two groups in the NS who think they are more important than a big, ground wide, noise. However the north stand is too small and the west too big. We can’t change that though and it hasn’t mattered in other massive games.

It’s too late now but moving away fans in to the south east corner and making the standing “tolerance” area with the cheapest tickets bang next to them would improve the atmosphere 100% and we’re still one of the best in this league. Anyone hear a half empty Emirates singing “sing when you’re winning” to the scummers today? Embarrassing. They don’t even sing when they’re 2-0 up.

On that last point, today we heard chants by about ten Gooners of “We’re the North Bank, we’re the North Bank Arsenal boys”, countered by an equally insipid “We’re the Clock End Arsenal boys”.

Nice wide open architecture a long way from the pitch, but not a football cathedral of noise.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
On that last point, today we heard chants by about ten Gooners of “We’re the North Bank, we’re the North Bank Arsenal boys”, countered by an equally insipid “We’re the Clock End Arsenal boys”.

Nice wide open architecture a long way from the pitch, but not a football cathedral of noise.

That’s what I meant by the “agree to a point”. I think our atmosphere could be a lot better with a couple of tweaks and I still think we let the players down yesterday but we’re miles better than some of the “big” teams at home.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
It was a must win game against a team below us in the league and one that, many, thought was a banker. As soon as the dross on the field began to play out, error strewn, outplayed and no bottle the crowd began to sense disaster.

No surprises. Hudds are a frustrating team to play, they've taken huge scalps by stopping teams playing and they did it again to us. the sending off, the miss, the back pass...what do you expect? Rapturous cheers?

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Good article in The Times today.

Stats for home advantage and commonsense understanding of human beings both point at obvious crowd effects.
25e6b8e67371ec74b9a68aa09d56dcc5.jpg

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The PA was turned up to 11 today. East Upper it was deafening. We made some noise but sadly let down on the pitch.
Saw Bruno pitchside second half trying to get the crowd up for it.

Yes, he did. But maybe his gestures might have been better directed towards his team mates; they needed lifting more than the crowd! It was a dire, lethargic performance and we were lucky to get away with a point.

The Norwich fans did warn us..............

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That’s what I meant by the “agree to a point”. I think our atmosphere could be a lot better with a couple of tweaks and I still think we let the players down yesterday but we’re miles better than some of the “big” teams at home.

And the players didn't let US down with a totally inept performance lacking any drive or determination and strewn with errors?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here