Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Teville Gate

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We lived in South Farm Rd for a time and my wifes brother went to St Andrews and used to walk down Congreve and Northcourt Road to our flat so I assumed it was off of Congreve.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is an sad indictment that land adjacent to the train station of Sussex's second most populated town has been derelict for over 30 years.

You would have thought during the housing boom of the Blair years that developers could have made a killing. Transport links don't come much better than Teville Gate.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It is an sad indictment that land adjacent to the train station of Sussex's second most populated town has been derelict for over 30 years.

You would have thought during the housing boom of the Blair years that developers could have made a killing. Transport links don't come much better than Teville Gate.

Thirty years? I'm not sure on that. I'm 32 and remember there being shops and things actually open and trading there when I was a kid. Plus, my mate Richard used to live in the flats that used to be there.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing

There was one thought about moving the bus/coach depot there, and then redeveloping the existing bus station on the seafront, could've worked

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
One of Worthing's ongoing sagas. I once wrote a song about it - a forlorn little ditty on the ukulele. Should have been a blues, really.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Although Teville Gate is a fiasco it is worth noting that the viability of any project was not helped by the absolute train wreck of a development from the Town Hall through to the station with the ugly roundabout and awful underpasses. Both main central car parks plus the one at Teville Gate are complete eyesores and the Guildbourne Centre too. The 60s planners wrecked the town.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There were shops from The Central, as it was., right down to the join with Chapel Road when Railway Approach was open but I cant for the life of me think of what other shops were there other than those mentioned. I think possibly a builders merchants and wholesale newspaper depot.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It used to have a petrol station, tax office, lots of shops , and flats as well.

With a rising population, and immigration, I'm not sure why this area has not been looked into as a good investment for business people.

Also the Guildbourne centre in Worthing has only a few shops in it now, when it used to have 2 stories full up including a pub. It used to be a great place to go when the weather was bad.

I don't know if the fact that both places has a large multi storey car park is some reason for this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Thirty years? I'm not sure on that. I'm 32 and remember there being shops and things actually open and trading there when I was a kid. Plus, my mate Richard used to live in the flats that used to be there.

In 1985 I did a school project on the rise of out of town shopping centres (Durrington Tescos) and the demise of inner city shopping arcades (Teville Gate). I remember doing a survey standing in Teville Gate recording how many shops had shut down, the place was already graffit'd up and on the slide even then.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Although Teville Gate is a fiasco it is worth noting that the viability of any project was not helped by the absolute train wreck of a development from the Town Hall through to the station with the ugly roundabout and awful underpasses. Both main central car parks plus the one at Teville Gate are complete eyesores and the Guildbourne Centre too. The 60s planners wrecked the town.

Town planners in the 1950s and 60s had a go at wrecking a lot of places.

Churchill Square (first time around), Brighton Square, Theobald House, New England House - all in Brighton, and all blighted by pig-ugly 1960s blinkered thinking, though weirdly enough, only one of those was a failure.

Grateful the big one never came to fruition (never got past the ideas stage thankfully) - the demolition of North Laine for a flyover from Preston Circus to the seafront.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
In 1985 I did a school project on the rise of out of town shopping centres (Durrington Tescos) and the demise of inner city shopping arcades (Teville Gate). I remember doing a survey standing in Teville Gate recording how many shops had shut down, the place was already graffit'd up and on the slide even then.

Oh yeah, when I say 'kid' I could only have been three or so. Definitely a couple of places. One of them was a stereo place; can remember being mightily impressed that speakers existed which were taller than me.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It does have one claim to fame as [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] can verify. It's the site of probably the world's only marathon race competed inside a multi-storey carpark and it took place a few months back. About 80 times up and down in it. And the bright spark who thought up that idiotic idea was my brother who is 1/3rd of Sussex Trails who also do the London to Brighton trail, Mouth to Mouth, Beat The Tide and other trail events around God's own county.

Incidentally, you can hear the underground Teville stream when you use the underpass at Worthing Station. It's right by the bottom of the stairs on the northern platforms.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

When I was growing up in Worthing, our next door neighbour had a jewellery shop in Teville Gate. This was in about 1981. I think he finally gave up the shop in 1984 and then the site remained empty right up until it was all demolished. The last shop still going must have been that all-night cafe that catered for people coming out of Bensons/Illusions next to Chapmans and Area 51 near where Ron Mills Cycles used to be (showing my age here).

Teville Gate has been a criminal waste of a great location for decades. Even worse is the Guildbourne Centre, just have a look at the lovely old buildings that were demolished to build that eyesore.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here