Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
and you missd my point, its not prohibitive, produce already comes in from all over the world.

Why on earth do we continue to put up with having this incompetent negotiating team, packed with and led by Remoaners, being bullied by the EU.

Isn't it about time that the dream team of Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Andrea Leadsom and Michael Gove, who so successfully led the Brexit campaign, stepped up and led us to the promised land ???

Johnson, Leadsom, Gove - What was it that drove them to campaign for leave? hmmmmm. Come to think of it, why did May back remain?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That same god-awful woman who despised the opinion of 17 million of her fellow citizens, and had enough money to throw her weight about, costing the taxpayer a lot of money in the process. Yes, that's the one.

So you don't believe in protecting the sovereignty of parliament. That's pretty poor. Or do you have some other axe to grind?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I beg to differ on the chaos Greeks would have faced had they jettisoned out of The EU and The Eurozone and all it's various institutions. It's why Varoufakis pulled back from the cliff edge, it'd have been far worse than now and the consequences far worse than what happened in Argentina at the turn of the century.

The case at The ICJ? It'll be the big one post a no deal Brexit - The UK vs the EU - as international lawyers argue for years over whether Boris Johnson was right to suggest the EU can go whistle etc.

Regarding the Greeks, of course they would have suffered - but it would have been only for a relatively short period. I was living in Brazil in the late 80s when inflation was over 20% per week. I was exchanging money daily to meet our needs and they had three different currencies in two years. A few years later and they were back under control and they've had single digits for a number of years. The problem with most people today is that their definition of 'long term' is about a year, or the lifetime of a parliament at most. That has never worked, and will never work.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The fact that you can barely contain your emotions demonstrates the fragility of your position. It will unravel and you will have to accept responsibility for that.

As we’re getting emotive now let me quote back what someone in politics once said, “calm down dear.” What a shame that person was ever in politics, and what a shame so many people were led astray and promised greater things if we left the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You still don't know what a fact is then. A soupcon of deserved derision is 'barely containing my emotions' ? Nah, I was just highlighting your fact-free hyperbolic nonsense .. Thanks for the heads up Nostradamus.

Getting away from the diversionary bedwetting are you ever going to define what you mean by 'Soft' Brexit?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
lol Despised. How theatrical.

Don't think you should lower the tone of this discussion by bringing in the theatre.That should be kept on the Trump thread,or any discussion on sexual perversion.This is supposedly a political thread.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You still don't know what a fact is then. A soupcon of deserved derision is 'barely containing my emotions' ? Nah, I was just highlighting your fact-free hyperbolic nonsense .. Thanks for the heads up Nostradamus.

Getting away from the diversionary bedwetting are you ever going to define what you mean by 'Soft' Brexit?

A Brexiter asking for some definition of what Brexit looks like. How novel.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
So you don't believe in protecting the sovereignty of parliament. That's pretty poor. Or do you have some other axe to grind?

Coo,I wonder what other axe you think he might have?Care to enlighten us,oh wise one?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Since when did any of the Europhiles give a toss about the sovereignty of parliament considering they have been happy for years for its powers to be leached towards Brussels and still voted for the status quo?.........oh that’s right, when they wrongly thought they had a chance of stopping the referendum result by using the courts. Whole thing backfired on the dippy tw@ts though as the ruling deemed Article 50 irrevocable and the subsequent voting had parliament vote not to have a second referendum……..all thanks to Gina………give the girl a medal..:D

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm afraid I can't. I'm not inside his head. Can you? Why would she be so awful?

All the women you know must be like fragrant little flowers,but I'm afraid Gina doesn't float my boat at all-in fact,she makes my teeth itch.Nothing to do with race,you know,I just find her the type who would spoil any party she attended,by attention-seeking.(Please note,I said attended,not invited).Perhaps the OP feels the same way,or perhaps has an equally compelling reason for finding her awful.Also non-racist,of course.:lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Since when did any of the Europhiles give a toss about the sovereignty of parliament considering they have been happy for years for its powers to be leached towards Brussels and still voted for the status quo?.........oh that’s right, when they wrongly thought they had a chance of stopping the referendum result by using the courts. Whole thing backfired on the dippy tw@ts though as the ruling deemed Article 50 irrevocable and the subsequent voting had parliament vote not to have a second referendum……..all thanks to Gina………give the girl a medal..:D

No, The Supreme Court did not rule that Article 50 is revocable or not, merely that once Article 50 was invoked, having been voted for by parliament to do so, that vote was done on the understanding by MP's, that it would not subsequently be revoked. In practise it could still technically be revoked by another act of parliament being passed to do so.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Regarding the Greeks, of course they would have suffered - but it would have been only for a relatively short period. I was living in Brazil in the late 80s when inflation was over 20% per week. I was exchanging money daily to meet our needs and they had three different currencies in two years. A few years later and they were back under control and they've had single digits for a number of years. The problem with most people today is that their definition of 'long term' is about a year, or the lifetime of a parliament at most. That has never worked, and will never work.

Perhaps, but you can't say for sure it would be for a relatively short period of time. If Greek banks had gone insolvent and with Euro denominated assets not being accessible to them and Greece not having many exports and relying on importing a great deal and setting up the 35 regulatory bodies needed to replace the EU ones, like we'll have to do, launch a new currency, attempt to raise capital through new bond issues and all the rest of it, including managing the social disorder at home etc I think it might have been for quite a while. I lived in south east Botswana for a few years where half the population is Zimbabwean immigrants. The Zimbabwean government have tried everything over the last 15 years economically and still it gets worse and worse - they've had hyperinflation, 4 currencies and you now have to queue up overnight to be able to withdraw USD in the morning before the banks run out for the day.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Third time you've dodged it.You demand a 'soft' Brexit but can't define what it means ... good grief.

How about staying in the single market? In return, we guarantee some freedom of movement. There's a simple start point. And you lot get rid of the ECJ and get your country back.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
All the women you know must be like fragrant little flowers,but I'm afraid Gina doesn't float my boat at all-in fact,she makes my teeth itch.Nothing to do with race,you know,I just find her the type who would spoil any party she attended,by attention-seeking.(Please note,I said attended,not invited).Perhaps the OP feels the same way,or perhaps has an equally compelling reason for finding her awful.Also non-racist,of course.:lolol:

So it's because she's a woman! I hadn't even considered the race implications, surely they don't play a part in why someone would dislike her do they? Just misogyny then.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

You don't understand what sovereignty means, nor where it resides.

Parliament is sovereign. It always has been. Parliament has chosen to pass certain powers to the EU in order to stay in a powerful economic bloc, but sovereignty has always resided in Westminster. It never was transferred to Brussels.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I see Lloyd Blankfein has just thrown the cat among the pigeons. if it wasn't so desperate, it would be funny.....

[tweet]920995573368545280[/tweet]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So, we are just about at the mid point between voting to leave and leaving, and what have we decided and done so far.

I know TM has decided that EU citizens can stay and asked the EU for another 2 years membership.

Have I missed anything ?

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
How about staying in the single market? In return, we guarantee some freedom of movement. There's a simple start point. And you lot get rid of the ECJ and get your country back.

Simple indeed. A couple of problems though. You can't stay in/be a member of the Single (internal) Market unless you submit too ECJ rulings. This is a central pillar of the EU construct, there's no negotating this point. I also remember that nice Mr Cameron popping over to Berlin pre-referendum, cap in hand asking Merkel for some leeway on Free movement. The answer .. Nein. The EU have made it crystal clear on numerous occasions that we cannot cherry pick parts of EU membership so your version of Soft Brexit is a non starter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here