Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Banter - just an excuse for otherwise socially unacceptable behaviour

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What is most worrying is the way the line keeps creeping imperceptibly forward. What was acceptable yesterday will cause offence tomorrow. I don’t generally have a problem with this. Society evolves, values change. Once upon a time I felt superior to racists, male chauvinist pigs and apologists for an outdated unaccountable establishment. Today I instinctively see the value of tradition, the wisdom of middle-age and the tragedy of common sense being eroded by the baleful influence of the snowflake generation.

That is my immediate (emotional?) response but, on reflection, I can appreciate thati it is me who is struggling to find the energy to adapt. Just like I once leapt out of bed to face the day, I now have to sit down to put my socks on. What was once easy is now bloody hard work.

Anyway, all of this is as it should be. I am the problem. However, what really worries me is that what I do today may be judged by the values of tomorrow. And if that insidious line has crept too far I will be unjustifiably found guilty for something that would have been laughed out of court today. From the outside looking in and unburdened by facts or details to support this argument, I really do sense that an ever-increasing number of people leading ordinary lives are being caught in this pernicious trap.

Mind you, one of the universities I work with has replaced M/F with 15 different gender identities. WTF?

Shuggie, you should post more. Alot more.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was in the RAF, the same time as [MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION]
What he speaks about is old school banter.
There was a lot of mickey taking in the military, it was what made you harden up to life in the forces.
Of course you didn't have to take it, there was a choice, but joining in with the banter was great fun, even if it was directed at yourself or someone else.
Personally I had the piss taken out of me, and I gave it back.
You may have come across the odd spanner, but not all were like that.

So not really applicable to what the OP was referring too

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I wasn't having a dig [emoji106], it's like here on NSC, you have different opinions, SOH and views.
It'll be really boring if all were conspiracy theorists on here :wink:
Most of its just banter anyway ..[emoji6][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
As long as it's not called, 'Top Bantz' I couldn't give a flying ****.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
So not really applicable to what the OP was referring too

The military style banter, if you could call it that, is a totally different world to the Mickey taking I experience these days.
An example would be as soft as turning a cap badge upside down on the hat/beret, shampoo in boots, bed packs being glued together, to the extremes of throwing cold water over someone if their personal hygiene wasn't up to scratch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Mind you, one of the universities I work with has replaced M/F with 15 different gender identities. WTF?

Recently an organisation I deal with included in a newsletter a piece on their 'women in (my research discipline) group'. The accompanying text referred to 'members who identify as female'.....

I emailed to point out that only women can join the women in (discipline) group, and that there are officially more than 20 genders we can identify with and that, basically, they were bahaving like virtue signaling cockwombles.

No reply.

And like you I once thought I was tremendously liberal and modern, and now I stuggle to get my socks on in the morning, and consider that most people I encounter are millions of neurons short of a neural network (aka, a functioning brain. The ****ing *****). :wave:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Surely the unavoidable conclusion from today's parliamentary committee meeting with Eni Aluko and the FA.
The latter come across as little more than mindless louts.

Agreed. The testimony today was damning, and the FA just dug themselves deeper and deeper. Not least when FA Chairman Greg Clarke - he of the email “I’ve no idea why you are sending me this. Perhaps you could enlighten me?” email when the racist allegations dossier was sent to him, sat there today in front of a Parliamentary committee, and referred to those racist allegations as "fluff".

I mean christ. Is there a more incompetent collection of duffers and blazers than this lot in the entire country ? Well, they gave the job to Southgate, so draw your own conclusions. What an absolute shower.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not really, its true.

Got my teeth knocked down my throat by a group of them years ago unprovoked, knew one that was racist and met another on a night out that was trying to start fights with everybody.

My mate joined the Paras when he was 18 and after his training came back a right arrogant sh.t.
He bought a mate back with him who was even cockier. We ended up falling out and having an almighty scrap.
I was younger but 6ft 4in by then so he came 2nd. He was embarrassed more than hurt.

That is not typical of other soldiers or military men I have met though. Nearly all of them have been good stand up guys.
If fact I can’t think of any ex military boys I dislike. I even have a soft spot for Alfred on here.
Maybe it’s the younger ones W-D.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I mean christ. Is there a more incompetent collection of duffers and blazers than this lot in the entire country ?

The management of SASTA, which can't even begin to run a decent rail service? The government: dtruggling to get support from its own backbenchers?

It's a close call, almost worthy of a poll

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My mate joined the Paras when he was 18 and after his training came back a right arrogant sh.t.
He bought a mate back with him who was even cockier. We ended up falling out and having an almighty scrap.
I was younger but 6ft 4in by then so he came 2nd. He was embarrassed more than hurt.

That is not typical of other soldiers or military men I have met though. Nearly all of them have been good stand up guys.
If fact I can’t think of any ex military boys I dislike. I even have a soft spot for Alfred on here.
Maybe it’s the younger ones W-D.

Don't think it's necessarily an age thing. We met a couple of marines on a diving holiday last year, not even out of their teens, up for a laugh but two of the most sorted young men you could want to meet. They said the cocky recruits and those in it for the pose and getting the regimental tattoos all got weeded out at the selection process pretty sharpish.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
So, did she bring back ebola or not?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Don't think it's necessarily an age thing. We met a couple of marines on a diving holiday last year, not even out of their teens, up for a laugh but two of the most sorted young men you could want to meet. They said the cocky recruits and those in it for the pose and getting the regimental tattoos all got weeded out at the selection process pretty sharpish.

Interesting. That's consistent with my experience of employing ex-Military folk, which can be summarised as:

Ex-Marine - all outstanding
Ex-Para - all interviewed well, but failed to fit in after employment
Ex-Household Division - all failed at interview
All other units - no pattern

HR told me that there was sufficient data to draw conclusions about likely suitability and hence to take the unit into account when drawing up interview lists. I never approved that policy on principle, but it was interesting.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
As an ex-service man or soldier as you put it, if you ever want to come and say this to my face let me know.
Did i say every soldier or every soldier I'd met?
I'd happily say it to your face, try not to get violent though, I know they drill that into you.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here