Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Iceland (the country, not the shop) - worth the cost?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Go for the longer trip. We drove there in our Bongo camper. 600 miles to northern Denmark and then 3 days on the ferry and then 4 weeks driving around the island for 5,000 miles. Incredible place. Didn't stay in a hotel once and only a few nights on a campsite. Just us, the elements and £25 5L wine boxes from the Vinbudin. Not many geological features you won't find. Great walking. Brilliant heated outdoor pools in every small settlement.

That was 2 years ago and already thinking of going back next year. Days will be very short in November.

Wow. That ticks all the boxes for me.

Having discussed this with [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] and other friends who have been there it is high up my to do list. I LOVE earth sciences, geology included, and Iceland has sooo much of that to see.

I am well aware that it's pricey, but cheaper places don't have the same sights to see.

I need to get myself made redundant in June / July again and have the summer off to do such a long trip (they aren't keen on people taking 3+ weeks off here), but that trips sounds amazing.

On the assumption we won't be taking our camper van there soon, I do fancy a family short break there some time soon.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Having discussed this with [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] and other friends who have been there it is high up my to do list. I LOVE earth sciences, geology included, and Iceland has sooo much of that to see.

I am well aware that it's pricey, but cheaper places don't have the same sights to see.

I need to get myself made redundant in June / July again and have the summer off to do such a long trip (they aren't keen on people taking 3+ weeks off here), but that trips sounds amazing.

On the assumption we won't be taking our camper van there soon, I do fancy a family short break there some time soon.

Stayed in this place for a couple of nights: http://www.frostogfuni.is

Brilliant walk into the hills where you can bath in hot streams. Worth a look if you are planning a trip.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My gf and I are considering a week in Iceland in Nov - northern lights, blue lagoon, yada, yada.

Thing is, I can't really think of anything to replace "yada, yada" with and I was shocked at the prices of everything other than the flight (average airbnb price is £115, food looks dear etc). It's not the cost per se that's the issue, it's the thought that we could easily go much further afield for the same price - Boston or St Petersburg, for example.

Is there more to do/see in Iceland that make it worth what seems to be very high prices?

Had a wonderful break with the missus and stayed in a couple of places with this being the best http://www.frostogfuni.is

Was a completely memorable trip where we saw some amazing things, and would love to go back.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I think so, couple of years back so memory a bit hazy, but definitely went to a couple of locations that I did (at least faintly) recognise from scenes in the show. Was good just to see the frozen waterfalls and really rugged terrain anyhow.

Awesome; lots to consider now since I hadn't realised GOT was partly filmed in Iceland.. Just got back from Seville and saw the palaces used in GOT which was quite something! (thoroughly recommend btw)

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Went 6 years ago in Feb and had one of the best experience s. As above and watching a football match on the frozen lake in the centre of the city. 100% recommend.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Another yes vote here.

Have spent a week or more, on at least 10 separate occasions in Reykjavik, Kopurvagur, Reyjanesbaer all for work, and absolutely adore the place.

The scenery is unique if not PRETTY, and there might not be all that much to actually DO, but that's not what the place is about, for me. Its all about the PEOPLE who in my (pretty extensive) experience, are all absolutely LOVELY. The woman are generally beautiful, too, which is nice.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Another yes vote here.

Have spent a week or more, on at least 10 separate occasions in Reykjavik, Kopurvagur, Reyjanesbaer all for work, and absolutely adore the place.

The scenery is unique if not PRETTY, and there might not be all that much to actually DO, but that's not what the place is about, for me. Its all about the PEOPLE who in my (pretty extensive) experience, are all absolutely LOVELY. The woman are generally beautiful, too, which is nice.

So [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] maybe a place to visit without the GF?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Right up your street. Where else can you have one bollock on the North American tectonic plate and the other one on the Eurasion tectonic plate? Be great for your snow thread, as well.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
My favourite short trip. Plenty to do. Would recommend the Golden Circle Tour which for breathtaking sightseeing including waterfalls and Geysirs.

Also, don't expect to see the lights. Just see it as an added bonus if you do.

The food can be very expensive, but you can eat cheap(er) in pizza places and supermarkets. Would recommend Roadhouse as a decent and reasonably priced place to eat. http://www.roadhouse.is/ and make sure you check out 'The worlds greatest hot dog' at Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Right up your street. Where else can you have one bollock on the North American tectonic plate and the other one on the Eurasion tectonic plate? Be great for your snow thread, as well.

And you can swim along the divide between the 2 plates (in the summer, in a wetsuit probably)...

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
It's an incredible place, but you wouldn't want more than 3/4 days.

The scenery is incredible, and things like the Blue Lagoon, Jokulsarlon, and Gulfoss are amazing to see in person. It is expensive though, and if you do go further out, there is NOTHING to do when it gets dark unless you are staying in Reykjavik.

But then again I've been to Boston and wouldn't want more than a couple of days there. Unless you plan on going further north to ski, which is what I did.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] maybe a place to visit without the GF?

I was just thinking the same thing! I was considering showing her this thread as a research resource for a basis of discussion. I may have to delete some posts before I do - sorry in advance.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not in November presumably?

Left October 20th. Days getting short. Coffee in the dark before going for a pre 9am sunrise swim in an outdoor steaming swimming pool. Had High pressure weather system so ice every morning but clear blue skies in the day and Northern Lights at night.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Went there perhaps 15 years back on a package whale watching trip. That was great but it has a reputation for high cost if you eat out normally.

Did I see enough to make me want to return on a city break? No, only if you have been everywhere else.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I went in April for a work incentive.

It was amazing but 4 days/3 nights was enough. We did the usual blue lagoon and off into the countryside to see the northern lights (but we didn't due to wrong time of the year) we also went whale watching and up into the mountains to do snowmobiles and go in the largest man made ice tunnel

it was incredible, however there wouldn't have been much to do the next day. as others have said the price is insane, we spoke to one tour guide and he said that they have always been expensive but since the pound crashed and the krona stayed stable it has added an extra 50% to the cost. I looked at getting my son an Iceland shirt and it would have been £99!

Brilliant country with a lot of fantastic people and well worth it in my view

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Left October 20th. Days getting short. Coffee in the dark before going for a pre 9am sunrise swim in an outdoor steaming swimming pool. Had High pressure weather system so ice every morning but clear blue skies in the day and Northern Lights at night.

Nice. Are the F roads closed by then? I drove around the island (not all the way) in the autumn - but think it was Sept/Oct.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here