Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Propper

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I've saw enough glimpses from him in the early games to know that if he settles and gels then he's going to be a good player for us. That seems to be happening thankfully.

On the flip side, I'm reluctant to post this after such a good win, but Stephens still has a question mark over him for me. Hopefully he's going to adjust to PL life and i definitely think he should keep the shirt after yesterday. I think he's quite lucky though that Sidwell is injured.

I think it's more than a tad unfair to pillory anyone after that performance yesterday. Every player, one to eleven put in a shift to help us to win the game. Yes I know Dale lost the ball on a few occasions, and made the odd wayward pass. We know what a good player he is from previous seasons. We are just four games into the season, FOUR, Chris won't lose faith with anyone yet.

Cowfold Seagull, Dale Stephens Appreciation Society, (Cowfold) Branch.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I thought he had a great game yesterday. I felt he had a poor game against City but in my opinion that looked a nervy performance rather than signs of a bad player. He looked much more settled yesterday and showed his class and no doubt was feeling more confident after his achievements for Holland during the week. He is going to be an influential player for us this season.

Stephens on the other hand is fortunate that both Kayal & Sidwell are injured because for me he is the one player who seems to be struggling to make the step up his season.

Davy Propper was thrown into the City match as Kayal broke his leg - I think Hughton was forced into making a move that he didn't want to make at that time. Given that Proper had only been with the club a few days and probably had difficulty settling down into a new system is it any wonder that he looked poor against City ! he's looking better game after game and I think we've got ourselves a decent player. Stephens is also learning how to play alongside him given that Propper is a different type of player to Kayal or Sidwell

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Propper is the real deal and showed glimpses of his class yesterday.

Agree with criticism of Stephens, looked slow in decision making and laboured passing on occasions.

Still, early days.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like the combination of Stephens and Propper, one has the instinct to go sideways or forwards the other has the instinct to pass sideways or backwards. Stephens is very good at breaking up play and I think Propper will be excellent at creating and getting up to score himself.

We are not going to dominate many teams in midfield and I think there is too much criticism off Stephens, it's a good pairing imo.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
When can we expect kayal back ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Propper played very well today and growing with confidence. Give him time he can pick a pass and happy to get his foot in for a tackle as well. Best CM on the pitch today and there were some good ones out there.
Think people being harsh on stephens he broke play up well and was stronger in the tackle. Needs to move the ball quicker at times still. This is likely to be our 1st choice partnership for some time yet bearing in mind injuries but 1 that will improve week on week

Well observed.

I think what is happening now is that Propper is being asked to play the role that Stephens has done for several years and that Stephens is being asked to play the Kayal role, whish is a more disciplined defensive role. The squad is progressively getting better and it can't be changed overnight so you see a more gradual evolution at clubs the size of Brighton because there isn't the wealth of say Man City to do it ''wholescale''.

The lads are finding their feet and self belief seems to be coming back. There will be set backs along the way but there is no doubt that progression is being made in an effort to compete at what is most definitely a much higher level of football.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Davy Propper was thrown into the City match as Kayal broke his leg - I think Hughton was forced into making a move that he didn't want to make at that time. Given that Proper had only been with the club a few days and probably had difficulty settling down into a new system is it any wonder that he looked poor against City ! he's looking better game after game and I think we've got ourselves a decent player. Stephens is also learning how to play alongside him given that Propper is a different type of player to Kayal or Sidwell

I completely agree with your comments on Propper - I guess that was where I was coming from with my original post, you just articulated it better !

Regarding Stephens though I tend to disagree as my concerns with him are that he has not adjusted to the pace of the PL as he wants too much time on the ball, needing more touches than others which is when he gets caught in possession, gives away cheap free kicks or is frequently forced to go backwards and this can often miss good opportunities to start an attack when you see the runs that our attacking players make and he doesn't release the pass to them. These aspects have nothing to do with who is playing alongside him and adjusting to that player. Let's hope he is just adjusting and will quickly sort this out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Propper had a decent game at Watford, but yesterday he was quality, bossed the midfield and pretty much involved in everything we did. Wouldn't be surprised if his stats show him to have had the most touches and passes completed of our team. If Gross and Propper are settling this quickly after 4 games, we can seriously start looking forward to what might follow.

As for Stephens, yes, he got caught once and perhaps misplaced a pass or two, but I thought after a dodgy start he really settled into the game and did a real job protecting our back 4. He'll probably except the criticism as he'll not want to make mistakes, and I have a lot of confidence he'll settle down and improve.

Yesterday we PROVED we have a team to compete in the Premier League. Absolutely delighted.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Irrespective of number of games you play. Passing is a basic , identifying your players in your shirt is the most simplest of tasks. Against Man City, they only needed to stand around him for him to make a direct pass to them. They didn't need to intercept.

That was my point, granted you're making a general post - but that had been my criticism all along. He was getting the bare basics wrong.

Fair play, although I still think you were being a tad unfair and premature for two reasons. First, he didn't know his team mates, so hadn't built up an understanding, and several of his misplaced passes were as a result of this. Second, football is a game of pass and move, and there was precious little movement from his team mates against City, preventing an out ball.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Fair play, although I still think you were being a tad unfair and premature for two reasons. First, he didn't know his team mates, so hadn't built up an understanding, and several of his misplaced passes were as a result of this. Second, football is a game of pass and move, and there was precious little movement from his team mates against City, preventing an out ball.

Absolutely. Passing may be a basic skill, it's not so basic when you have no experience/understanding of teammates movements/runs and you are been hassled and pressed by City players.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Propper had a decent game at Watford, but yesterday he was quality, bossed the midfield and pretty much involved in everything we did. Wouldn't be surprised if his stats show him to have had the most touches and passes completed of our team. If Gross and Propper are settling this quickly after 4 games, we can seriously start looking forward to what might follow.

As for Stephens, yes, he got caught once and perhaps misplaced a pass or two, but I thought after a dodgy start he really settled into the game and did a real job protecting our back 4. He'll probably except the criticism as he'll not want to make mistakes, and I have a lot of confidence he'll settle down and improve.

Yesterday we PROVED we have a team to compete in the Premier League. Absolutely delighted.

Yup agree with this, and would add:
-- RE: Propper, he looked very strong as well as classy, against an extremely strong team -- as you say, he bossed the middle of the park
-- RE: Stephens, he hasn't started the season that well, and needs to adjust to the pace; this was very much in evidence for the first 20 or so minutes yesterday, and Pulis had targeted him by getting Barry to him early. Thereafter, he gained his confidence and realised he had the footballing ability to cope with the situation, and it seemed as though he got his PL status up-and-running from then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here