Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How many players SHORT are the Albion right now?

How many more players do we need?

• 0 - we have a PLR squad already

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.4%

Votes: 6 2.1%

Votes: 54 19.1%

Votes: 85 30.0%

Votes: 84 29.7%
  • 6 or more

Votes: 53 18.7%

• Total voters

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Must admit that I do wonder if we are having a bit of a nightmare behind the scenes this window.

There doesn't seem to be many positive indications on recruitment at the moment :shrug:

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not wishing to wet the proverbial but I think we are sailing a bit close to the wind.

We know we need to acquire at least 5 decent players who can perform at this level, the squad will need to hit the ground running otherwise we could be toast by the time Santa calls..........:shrug:

Nah, forget about football until September 1st when we're allowed to judge.

Hopefully the 3 friendlies against Man City, Leicester and Watford should give us an indication as to where we may need strengthening.:whistle:

On a serious note, still 2 weeks off serious concern for me. Have abit of faith.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How many more do we need to have a fair crack of not being one-season wonders?

If you said how many players will we need to make an impression and escape relegation by the end of March, I might voted more than 3 to 5 (3 in the summer and 2 more in January) and said 6+.

For staying up we have seven first team players coming back form long term injury which spoilt their performances last season,

Huddersfield have signed ten.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Huddersfield_Town_A.F.C._season#Transfers_in

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Huddersfield may have signed an entire new squad, but any of them any good. Really need quality, rather than a couple of duds just to make up the numbers.

Maybe people on here haven't realised quite how big the price gap is between Championship and Premier League players (plus the added wage bill), and Bloom has had a reality check in his wallet? Also why posters keep touting lower league players is beyond me - we are supposed to be above that now and looking at the cream (not the fromage frais) of talent available.

Could be a long cold winter.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Defrel
Brown ( loan )
Cafu
Delaney
Gomez ( loan )

Use any change ( lol ) on a left back.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I recall it being a good thing getting promoted 3 weeks early as we had longer to prepare and recruit:glare:

Exactly what someone at the club said in interview too..... wasted time.... but we are being either outbid, ..or.... we are just not an attractive option, at least not in those players and agents eyes.

I suspect another week or two will drift by.... then Naylor and the club will publish a disclaimer... something like "it's a tough market, tougher than we thought"....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Exactly what someone at the club said in interview too..... wasted time.... but we are being either outbid, ..or.... we are just not an attractive option, at least not in those players and agents eyes.

I suspect another week or two will drift by.... then Naylor and the club will publish a disclaimer... something like "it's a tough market, tougher than we thought"....

We signed Gross and Ryan pretty early, that could be considered as our 'head start'.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We signed Gross and Ryan pretty early, that could be considered as our 'head start'.
To replace Stockdale and Towell... who the club knew were on their way..... still leaves big gaps... in key positions.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It could be as few as three quality players. If we get it wrong we could sign a dozen and not make progress. See last summer's threads for how wise us fans are. I would just like to avoid being in that found out position, when the opposition defence are confident that they can stop your strikers from scoring and you keep losing home games to an 85th minute winner, despite dominating possession.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
So, with a squad of 20 players currently, adding just 2 is a sensible option?

Either way - I wasn't seriously suggesting the Mad Professors was actually insane. :)

Hey,how many actual players do you need on matchdays-only 20 if the number of subs has gone up to 9!:mad::smile:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Two full backs and a striker are essential.
Possibly a centre half for cover, I can see us playing three at the back Duffy, Dunk and BFG so cover on the bench.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Goalkeeper (minimum 3): Ryan, Maenpaa?? (Walton/Sanchez)
Full back (minimum 4) Bruno, (Bong, Rosenior) +1
Central defenders (minimum 4): Duffy, Dunk, Hunemeier, (Goldson)
Midfielders (minimum 5) Stephens, Gross, (Kayal, Sidwell, Norwood, lualua)
Wingers (minimum 4) Knockaert, Murphy, March, (Skalak)
Strikers (minimum 4): Murray, Baldock (Hemed) +1

Numbers 24 at the moment so room for one more in midfield or offense

Those in brackets I'm not convinced they are good enough for the premier league, or in other cases will be fit enough to play regularly

We must find a quality striker and a full back.
We may need a replacement for Maenpaa
We are short in midfield and need at least one more attacking midfielder and perhaps two
We may need a replacement for Goldson (although if he's fit he might justifiably stay in the squad)
We may need an alternative to Skalak. - perhaps a January target
We may need an alternative to Hemed - perhaps a January target

I would say three QUALITY signings would be the minimum if we hold onto Maenpaa and Goldson. Four or five would be better depending on who's available.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Must admit that I do wonder if we are having a bit of a nightmare behind the scenes this window.

There doesn't seem to be many positive indications on recruitment at the moment :shrug:

Seems to me I have read this kind of statement every transfer window and every year the Albion decision makers come through. They don't always sign the players we want but there are outside forces that influence these moves. Panic seems to be the name of the game for BHA fans during the transfer windows.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Seems to me I have read this kind of statement every transfer window and every year the Albion decision makers come through. They don't always sign the players we want but there are outside forces that influence these moves. Panic seems to be the name of the game for BHA fans during the transfer windows.

Indeed.
Have faith in the management. There is at least one decent deal in the offing. Could be delivered by the weekend ( or so my clairvoyant tells me )

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
5 but they don't all have to be amazing stars.

LB and RB I think I'd buy an experienced starting LB and a young RB. Average players who fit the scheme is more important than some godlike player for now although they are very important positions to HOW we play.

CM I'm happy with the depth and don't mind Norwood as 5th choice currently for 2-3 starting spots. More worrying is Sidwell probably only has this season in him and I'd rather get a starting level player in now to play alongside Stephens and often one of Gross, Kayal or Sidwell dependant on situation. That would be a nice unit with Towell and Norwood probably out on loan or way back in reserve for that one bad week of the season where everyone is missing through injuries and suspensions when the BENCH needs someone on it.

Striker we need 1 and this as we all know is the one spot where we should really push the boat out. I like our 3 other options but we need that one legit stud.

5th is a winger. I'd be looking to upgrade the left wing and relegate March to super sub. Murphy and Skalak are OK for 4th and 5th choice if March can stay semi fit. I'm nervous to say it but if the right player was out there this player could play upfront sometimes and mean we don't have to sign the striker till January since we have Murray. Not ideal but if really can't find the right striker then slim chance the right option for both might be there as a temporary 'fix'.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
We need a number one keeper, new left and right backs, at least one central defender,new central and attacking midfielders, at least 2 new strikers ahead of Hemed and Judas, left winger to replace March and another to cover, so bare minimum is 10 more before the city match.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Keeper unless we use Sanchez
LB
CB if CG out on loan
CM
Winger
Number 10
Striker
So I would say between 5-7
Assuming we take up 2 loans I would say we looking at 3-5 permanent deals. Someone like Joe Gomez could fill the LB slot and act as CB and still not be in the full 25 man squad.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Haven't we had that today with the interview with Hughton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here