Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Line of Duty

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Redaction

Indeed.

Am I right in thinking that the questions that perseus is asking - what did Waldron do? / who did what to Waldron? / will they catch the guilty parties? - are all irrelevant?

This is surely a series about how corruption works, not a conventional crime and detection show.

Multi dimensal. I think there is a greater underlying plot (gangland warfare) that may very well run into Series 4?

Just pointing out the obvious points that must be deliberate as attention to detail is acute. Waldron is a wild card?

Not what Waldron did (TV viewers can see this) but who knows what he did? Interrogation of Waldron interview.

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I've only seen about half hour of the first episode so far but from what I've seen I think by closing ranks with Waldron, the other officers have set themselves up to be involuntarily complicit in any future acts of aberrant behaviour he enacts and which he is clearly capable of. By that initial act of complicity they've now got themselves caught up in a web of lies and deception from which they can't extricate themselves and which I think Waldron will exploit and manipulate. They probably thought it would be a one off, but now he's got even more leverage than he had before to persuade them to back him up. It's become a bit of a Faustian pact.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've only seen about half hour of the first episode so far but from what I've seen I think by closing ranks with Waldron, the other officers have set themselves up to be involuntarily complicit in any future acts of aberrant behaviour he enacts and which he is clearly capable of. By that initial act of complicity they've now got themselves caught up in a web of lies and deception from which they can't extricate themselves and which I think Waldron will exploit and manipulate. They probably thought it would be a one off, but now he's got even more leverage than he had before to persuade them to back him up. It's become a bit of a Faustian pact.

You have to pay careful attention to the details. I cannot see any other alternative than one of the three has grassed Waldron up. How else would Arnott know the A1 pistol was five metres away? Only the team knew and at that time the gun had not been fired! Now Waldron must work out he has been grassed up by one of his partners. But he does not know who?

We are led to believe he thinks it is Hari when I think it is Kennedy (unless there is a mistake in the script? Other interviews suggest there is a mistake? But it is a bit obvious?).

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Having now seen the end it looks like there'll be a closing ranks again but this time between the other three to cover up what really happened to Waldron, which wouldn't have happened if they hadn't backed him up in the first place. I think it will be Hari, the only one who didn't pull his trigger the first time round, and I reckon he might have somehow got hold of the gun that Waldron stole. Remember Hari was the only one who was told they were going to disband the squad and he objected. He probably had a plan in his mind already and if they had disbanded the squad it would have deprived him of his opportunity. There's obviously also some bad history between Kennedy and Waldron which the investigating team might find out about so the figure of suspicion will probably be pointed at him.
Series 2 is coming back to me a bit more now. I seem to remember Supt Hastings was the one Keeley Hawes had been having an affair with so we were led to believe it was him who was setting her up because she was harassing him. Also DS Cottan, the third investigating officer was corrupt in some way but I can't remember why.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Having now seen the end it looks like there'll be a closing ranks again but this time between the other three to cover up what really happened to Waldron, which wouldn't have happened if they hadn't backed him up in the first place. I think it will be Hari, the only one who didn't pull his trigger the first time round, and I reckon he might have somehow got hold of the gun that Waldron stole. Remember Hari was the only one who was told they were going to disband the squad and he objected. He probably had a plan in his mind already and if they had disbanded the squad it would have deprived him of his opportunity. There's obviously also some bad history between Kennedy and Waldron which the investigating team might find out about so the figure of suspicion will probably be pointed at him.
Series 2 is coming back to me a bit more now. I seem to remember Supt Hastings was the one Keeley Hawes had been having an affair with so we were led to believe it was him who was setting her up because she was harassing him. Also DS Cottan, the third investigating officer was corrupt in some way but I can't remember why.

Nothing is ever obvious. I thought Series 2 was bit obscure and impossible to follow. This show is much better.

The firearms team all choked, except the heroine. I reckon so there must have been a third agent. A bit predictable really. Up to you to guess!?

Remember the Caddy from series 2. Worked for Tommy Hunter deceased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_Duty#Series_2_.282014.29

What I missed at first was that Tommy Hunter (killed in series 2 first scene) was crossed on the list of names. List of names had blood spots as well.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Why was the file redacted?

The most plausible expanation it is on a need to know basis (from higher up the food chain).

Ronan Murphy deceased) may very well have a long criminal history but being let off serious offences because he was a registered informer or even a supergrass? (inductive leap, not deductive)

All very good for the watcher. We know more than the investigation team ???

Now it a paper file and blacked out. So it can't be reconstittuted using computer software and therefore won't be revealed until a much later episode? Even whether Ronan Murphy (deceased) is right-handed or left-handed or ambidexdrous is blacked out. This is rather convenient, but it so obvious it might be a misdirection (red herring).

I've still got a inkling that some scenes have been cut from the original and may spoil the story?

From the first sentence, there is an implication of gang warfare.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.....I thought Series 2 was bit obscure and impossible to follow.
I thought series 2 was difficult to follow but that made it all the more challenging and interesting. At least we have the benefit nowadays of being able to rerun certain parts if we don't understand them first time or think we missed something. I did this quite a lot with series 2. I think to really appreciate and understand series 2, it really has to be viewed a second time, or at least parts of it. I don't think many people could have taken in all the complexities of that series in a single viewing. I certainly couldn't, but I still really enjoyed it and more so as a result of my revisiting certain scenes.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I thought series 2 was difficult to follow but that made it all the more challenging and interesting. At least we have the benefit nowadays of being able to rerun certain parts if we don't understand them first time or think we missed something. I did this quite a lot with series 2. I think to really appreciate and understand series 2, it really has to be viewed a second time, or at least parts of it. I don't think many people could have taken in all the complexities of that series in a single viewing. I certainly couldn't, but I still really enjoyed it and more so as a result of my revisiting certain scenes.

I didn't do this with series 2 because there did not seem to be any obvious clues. Series 3 asks more questions so the guesses can be more attuned to what was going on.

Some things were mentioned quite a lot: gun residue, choking, redaction.

What was your take on the last scene? It all seem to happen in real time. In about as much, or little, time it takes me to get out my season ticket and go thought the electronic turnstile at the Amex. And I'm not carrying a G36 big gun or watching out for bandits. Add 15 seconds (to 30 seconds) for the conversation.

"Better come here skipper." (Hari)

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Really enjoyed the first episode but was surprised at Waldron being shot and guess it was by one of his team. Unsure who the man he visited after the funeral was or why he killed him, but assume the list Waldron has is a list of future possible assassinations, if he survives that is. Cannot wait for the next episode.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The first 2 series are on netflix so going to go through them as well as watching current series.

I have recorded this series as I dint realize there had been a previous couple of series. Do I need to watch those 2 series before the latest or are they individual stories so that it wouldnt matter?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have recorded this series as I dint realize there had been a previous couple of series. Do I need to watch those 2 series before the latest or are they individual stories so that it wouldnt matter?

I was watched the Series 2 for the second time as it was on recently and will be on i-player. I could not hack for a third time. Worth watching if you don't know the convolated plot.

Not necessary.

Third series is much better so far.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Really enjoyed the first episode but was surprised at Waldron being shot and guess it was by one of his team. Unsure who the man he visited after the funeral was or why he killed him, but assume the list Waldron has is a list of future possible assassinations, if he survives that is. Cannot wait for the next episode.

This is quite good. Subplot; three people in a (closed, no exit?) room with guns, something mysterious, one shot and an injured victim (will Waldron survive?). What happened Sherlock?

Key words: gun residue, choking, safety catch.

PS: research the sound of a G36 firing.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I was watched the Series 2 for the second time as it was on recently and will be on i-player. I could not hack for a third time. Worth watching if you don't know the convolated plot.

Not necessary.

Third series is much better so far.

But what if the caddy is required to do something or his past pops up in series 3 and you haven't watched the previous 2.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just looked at BBC Player and prior to this series there is a synopsis of all that has happened up to the start of series 3. It is tiled Everything You Must Know before watching series 3

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
This is quite good. Subplot; three people in a (closed, no exit?) room with guns, something mysterious, one shot and an injured victim (will Waldron survive?). What happened Sherlock?

Key words: gun residue, choking, safety catch.

PS: research the sound of a G36 firing.

Excellent stuff. Unsure I will be researching the sound of a G36 though.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Radio times spoilers :

2/6. The shooting at the drugs house intensifies the scrutiny on Danny Waldron's armed-response unit, who once again close ranks. But with Kate Fleming on the inside, AC-12 feed in new information that helps her expose cracks in the team's story, while Steve Arnott looks deeper into the suspect sergeant's background and makes a shocking discovery. However, the anti-corruption cop's life is complicated by an investigation into his own past conduct. Crime drama, starring Daniel Mays, Martin Compston, Vicky McClure and Will Mellor.

3/6. Steve Arnott remains undeterred by recent events, continuing his search for evidence in the case against Danny Waldron, and when his theory is confirmed he vows to get justice. Meanwhile, Kate Fleming discovers that PC Hari Bains is making calls to an unregistered phone number while having clandestine meetings with colleague Jackie Brickford. Steve acts fast - but it is Cottan's actions that garner praise. Crime drama, starring Martin Compston, Vicky McClure, Arsher Ali, Leanne Best and Craig Parkinson.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here