Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Arrggh! Yes! Yes! Yes! I've just had to leave the office for a bit as two people who admit they aren't interested in football and don't follow a team have just had a row about the referee and refereeing in general. That was after lots of comments from other non-football fans about our performance and tactics. ("Why didn't we attack more? Why don't they play more forwards? I thought we'd beat Colombia easily as they're not one of the best teams are they?") I have heard more complete, total and utter bollocks being spoken here this morning than I have ever heard in my life. ****'s sake just shut up you ****ing pig-ignorant *****.

The time difference here meant I had to watch the game IN the office. Thankfully there's loads of football fans, so they've actually given us a meeting room to watch the World Cup in. However, it hasn't been made clear that non football fans need not attend. Some of the Canadian guys pop in every now and again to see what the score is and make some hilarious comments like "Nothing ever happens" or "Why are they just passing it between themselves at the back?"

If we get to the semi finals, I'm taking the afternoon off and going to an English bar.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The time difference here meant I had to watch the game IN the office. Thankfully there's loads of football fans, so they've actually given us a meeting room to watch the World Cup in. However, it hasn't been made clear that non football fans need not attend. Some of the Canadian guys pop in every now and again to see what the score is and make some hilarious comments like "Nothing ever happens" or "Why are they just passing it between themselves at the back?"

If we get to the semi finals, I'm taking the afternoon off and going to an English bar.

Would be interested in knowing the location of any decent English bars for future reference if you have any.......found it difficult to find anywhere on my last couple of trips. Simply ‘going for a pint’ doesn’t seem to be part of the culture......

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Would be interested in knowing the location of any decent English bars for future reference if you have any.......found it difficult to find anywhere on my last couple of trips. Simply ‘going for a pint’ doesn’t seem to be part of the culture......

There's a few around town that I go to for football matches.

The Queen and Beaver (central downtown) - Decent British style pub, with a good upstairs bar
Scallywags (midtown) - Probably the biggest football pub, slightly ruined by being the home of the Liverpool supporters club
The Dog and Bear (west of downtown) - Always full of Brits. Home of the West Ham supporters club, but they don't take over the place and act like dicks like the Liverpool fans do.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There's a few around town that I go to for football matches.

The Queen and Beaver (central downtown) - Decent British style pub, with a good upstairs bar
Scallywags (midtown) - Probably the biggest football pub, slightly ruined by being the home of the Liverpool supporters club
The Dog and Bear (west of downtown) - Always full of Brits. Home of the West Ham supporters club, but they don't take over the place and act like dicks like the Liverpool fans do.

Cool cheers, will take a look next time. I don’t usually stray too far from the hotel/office in Downtown (unless I’m out for a run [emoji23]) so the Q&B will probably be first on the list. I try to avoid travelling when we’ve got matches when I can.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Cool cheers, will take a look next time. I don’t usually stray too far from the hotel/office in Downtown (unless I’m out for a run [emoji23]) so the Q&B will probably be first on the list. I try to avoid travelling when we’ve got matches when I can.

Well if you're looking for running routes, I'm your man!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
the genius of agile is that its not strictly defined, just some woolley ideology, therefore an organisation can change it to suit themselves. we have a programme of training for it this summer, as someone who's been (mis)using for 2-3 years already its going to be fun finding out the new official methods...
Sounds a lot like "Brexit".

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yesterday a project manager arranged a session with me to walk through a plan for a new client we’ve just taken on. I’d done a lot of the requirements and he’d split the estimate in to three; development, test and analysis.

The test column was headed “test”. The development column header was abbreviated to “dev”. And the Analysis header was abbreviated to the first four letters of that word.

My project plan review contained the line “you might want to reconsider your abbreviated headings”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seen that many times in accountancy. People with spreadsheets that have the tabs as "ANAL1" and so on. Always found it amusing.

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
:eek: Where can I download an application, could they be persuaded to do Harvey's Best and Seasonal Ales after 17:00

One of the companies I am working for at the moment has a couple of offices in London, one of which is rented from WeWork (wework.com). Membership has some of the fringe benefits mentioned above, people can bring their dogs into work, for example - although this has been known to create carnage during conference calls. Only realised there was free beer on tap when I was too late to get another coffee and found several beers and lagers on draught across three floors of the building. A company renting a whole floor privately had to lock down their door access after their cava, champagne and prosecco stocks "evaporated" due to people "wandering" in with pint size plastic glasses....

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Thanks, although it is intended as a simple observation of events unfolding outside the window when working for home in a typical dreary outer London suburb, or walking down the street (a concept unfamiliar to most local residents and - multiple- car owners) to the Post Office and/or London Overground station.

Can only properly de-stress when back in the central London office where barista coffee and fruit is free, as is Meantime Lager and Pale Ale after 5 pm or yoga/Broga or Boxercise on the roof terrace
Hero to zero? Or have I been whooshed? The irony levels on here have been cranked up so high that I am starting to doubt myself...

mxs_harrow

Jan 20, 2009
HA5
Number plates that are clearly personalised but for whom the significance is meaningless unless you are the owner or close relative gets me. Spend the money on something useful.

I'll try and think of something the moment I have completed my purchases at Primark...

A lot of "personal" number plates spotted locally seem to have been purchased by cryptic crossword compilers or dyslexics.

Drew up alongside a white Rolls Royce with a BF1 number plate at Gypsy Corner 20 years ago. Said " Look, there's Brian Ferry" to my seven-year old ( at the time) son. "Brian, who?" was the reply, so whatever the number plate cost, was obviously lost on him...

Lush

Mods' Pet
E-mail sent to staff in a Sydney company. Hopefully not fake. Funny nonetheless. 4893A977-FE13-4FC0-BB3C-10658F5A9DF9.jpeg

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm leaving the source of all my recent moans today. From the coffee-breathed moron who has somehow managed to get himself promoted to a level beyond his incompetence (still fairly lowly) who spends half his day asking me questions I'd expect a college intern to know, to the guy who turns off the lights because they "hurt his eyes", to the person who microwaves stinky food in the office and not the canteen, the guy who falls asleep at his desk, etc, etc.

All back to the nest of vipers I worked for previously, where at least nobody is individually that annoying.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Basically this thread is quite amusing, but it reminded me of a crap situation I had a year or so ago.
So, terminal ill portuguese man with a few days to live, family had all flown over to be by his side. He lived alone in a multi occupancy house. Very young doctor walks in, pulls me over to the window.... “ Listen, tell him he’s got a couple of days to live and we need the bed. Try and convince him he would be better off at home ( In his bedsit?), just tell the family he cannot stay here”.
He then left the room. As I moved towards the family, one of the sons said in perfect English “ Is that haw you treat terminally ill patients in the UK?”
I did not translate what th3 doctor had said, I walked outside onto the ward, obviously I was quite upset. A staff nurse came over, and I explained what had happened and why I refused to translate the information. We went back in and she assured the family he could stay as long as was required.
Never saw the Dr again, and my daughter is doing medicine at Edinburgh, but sometimes situations at work, any work just leave you speechless, and never leave you. The gentleman passed away the next morning.

Basically this thread is quite amusing, but it reminded me of a crap situation I had a year or so ago.
So, terminal ill portuguese man with a few days to live, family had all flown over to be by his side. He lived alone in a multi occupancy house. Very young doctor walks in, pulls me over to the window.... “ Listen, tell him he’s got a couple of days to live and we need the bed. Try and convince him he would be better off at home ( In his bedsit?), just tell the family he cannot stay here”.
He then left the room. As I moved towards the family, one of the sons said in perfect English “ Is that haw you treat terminally ill patients in the UK?”
I did not translate what th3 doctor had said, I walked outside onto the ward, obviously I was quite upset. A staff nurse came over, and I explained what had happened and why I refused to translate the information. We went back in and she assured the family he could stay as long as was required.
Never saw the Dr again, and my daughter is doing medicine at Edinburgh, but sometimes situations at work, any work just leave you speechless, and never leave you. The gentleman passed away the next morning.

Respect due - sadly in a similar situation with my mum at the moment but pleased to report that all the medical staff I have encountered so far have been superb.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

I'm not sure "Bellcheese" is sufficient for this one.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'll try and think of something the moment I have completed my purchases at Primark...

A lot of "personal" number plates spotted locally seem to have been purchased by cryptic crossword compilers or dyslexics.

Drew up alongside a white Rolls Royce with a BF1 number plate at Gypsy Corner 20 years ago. Said " Look, there's Brian Ferry" to my seven-year old ( at the time) son. "Brian, who?" was the reply, so whatever the number plate cost, was obviously lost on him...

When I saw him outside Pulborough Sainsbury's a few years back he was driving a Land Rover Discovery with normal Plates.

Imagined he would have a ridiculously glam blonde on his arm but he was actually doing his shopping on his Jack.

Not a very Rock 'n Roll anecdote, I'm afraid. :down:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here