Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Interesting. However, I think views might have changed since this was written (2015) and it might now be regarded as damage limitation by the Remain camp. The lack of a 'voice' on any of the EU policy-making mechanisms is now a given I guess.

Fortunately, the Remain camp isn't in charge of negotiations which is why any belief we will end up in the single market, customs union or end up with a Norway type deal is delusional. We will end up with a Canada ++ trade deal imo.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We will see, not long to wait as a broad agreement is scheduled to be finalised by October.

Dream on again.

And I’ll be very disappointed if it is a Canada plus plus deal.

D

Deleted member 22389

Britain seems broken now’: faces from the Brexit exodus to Europe
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/mar/24/meet-the-brexiles-who-voted-with-their-feet

“The UK has been neglected for decades and it shows: public transport is a joke, the NHS is falling to pieces, the education system is broken. I wanted to give my children the best start in life and I wanted the basic stuff – housing, education and healthcare – to be sorted. ”

People have been leaving this country for years, it's nothing new. Once again they try and paint this picture of loads of brits leaving, just like the supposed exodus of Eastern Europeans after Brexit.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Absolutely no point without the jobs but what kind of jobs should these be? As you say you can't focus just on the service sector; I think someone once said that you can't build an economy on people holding doors open for each other. Globalisation (mostly outside EU) means that mass manufacturing will never deliver them. So you are left with skilled roles in advanced manufacturing, new technology and 'knowledge' related areas (media, publishing etc). Creating the environment for businesses in this ares to grow (particularly small and medium-sized) is a mixture of government action and private investment and neither has performed this role well in recent years. For all the name-calling (traitors, bigots,twunts and so on). that happens on this thread the key dividing issue between leave and remain is probably whether this environment can be best developed in a national economy with more controlled points of exit and entry or within the context of a larger more open multi-national economic unit.

Most sensible post I have ever seen on here!We have always been good at engineering,inventing,and creativity in this country.Dyson gets slagged to death on here,but his ideas for training up the wizz-kids of the future sounds good,and he is putting his money where his mouth is with his new 'university'.JCB were derided by an ignorant poster on here who had no idea what they were talking about-"just an assembly plant",proving the oaf had never been near it.The Bamford family have produced more engineers than any university ever has.These successful business,and their ilk,is where training should be focussed.Instead of Ethiopian Spice Girls,we should be investing money in Rolls-Royce's research into mini nuclear power stations to give developing nations reliable power.Perhaps,once we are free from the stultifying atmosphere of the EU,we can be a leading light for full youth employment rather than their mass unemployment in the EU.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
People have been leaving this country for years, it's nothing new. Once again they try and paint this picture of loads of brits leaving, just like the supposed exodus of Eastern Europeans after Brexit.

If the number of people they make out were leaving actually went there wouldn't be any housing shortage!As for the idiot saying his kids had a multi-cultural environment (French and Dutch kids) what a crock.Another racist for the EU white club.Apart from the South,Britain is one of the most multi-cultural countries in the world.Apart from the South,public transport is excellent.Apart from the South,the NHS is perfectly adequate.So just an EU whinger going home to mummy cos he didn't like the rules.Good riddance :bigwave:

D

Deleted member 22389

If the number of people they make out were leaving actually went there wouldn't be any housing shortage!As for the idiot saying his kids had a multi-cultural environment (French and Dutch kids) what a crock.Another racist for the EU white club.Apart from the South,Britain is one of the most multi-cultural countries in the world.Apart from the South,public transport is excellent.Apart from the South,the NHS is perfectly adequate.So just an EU whinger going home to mummy cos he didn't like the rules.Good riddance :bigwave:

The article is a right load of bollocks. That bit about a multi cultural environment, it made me laugh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Apart from, apart from, apart from. You remind me of Mark MaGoo’s “we won the second half” response to a 2-1 defeat :lolol:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I expect it will end being a Norway style deal, but dressed up in a different form of words so it looks as though the UK is out of the single market while in practice it remains close to membership. If the EU had offered this kind of associate membership back when Cameron tried to negotiate with them it would have saved a lot of bother.

IMO the vote was too close for any kind of deal that doesn't give quite a lot of ground to both sides. The second Norwegian referendum, in 1994, was 52:48 to stay out, so there is a certain amount of precedence for that kind of solution. Note also that there is consistent majority in Norway for their status to continue as it is - not much of a clamour to get in the EU. I would expect the same to apply in the UK.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Britain seems broken now’: faces from the Brexit exodus to Europe
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/mar/24/meet-the-brexiles-who-voted-with-their-feet

“The UK has been neglected for decades and it shows: public transport is a joke, the NHS is falling to pieces, the education system is broken. I wanted to give my children the best start in life and I wanted the basic stuff – housing, education and healthcare – to be sorted. ”

Mmmm….. food for thought.

The thing is though - only 3 families were reported - wont help our situation!

Now! If a few million families left our shores, that would definitely relieve the pressure on our services - Transport, NHS, Education, Housing etc.

Our population (England) has been rising by up to 500,000 per year recently and raced to 65,000,000.

Strange, also, isn't it Herr, that England is the worlds favourite destination.

Good piece of propaganda though.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Mmmm….. food for thought.

The thing is though - only 3 families were reported - wont help our situation!

Now! If a few million families left our shores, that would definitely relieve the pressure on our services - Transport, NHS, Education, Housing etc.

Our population (England) has been rising by up to 500,000 per year recently and raced to 65,000,000.

Strange, also, isn't it Herr, that England is the worlds favourite destination.

No your wrong according to the remainers on here it is a horrid place to live

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
No your wrong according to the remainers on here it is a horrid place to live

It’s a great place to live, which is we are keen to keep it as it is, to let developers as it has been, an inclusive society. It’s the leavers who think it’s horrid, with all these foreigners stealing all the jobs that no one else wants and paying for our ageing population.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It’s a great place to live, which is we are keen to keep it as it is, to let developers as it has been, an inclusive society. It’s the leavers who think it’s horrid, with all these foreigners stealing all the jobs that no one else wants and paying for our ageing population.

I've never moaned about the UK being a bad place to live, its great. The moaning comes from the remain side on this with their stuck in the groove racist argument. If it were that bad maybe thousands of No voters would be leaving but there not which means they must also think it's not that bad.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Can I make the radical suggestion that there are people from both sides of the argument who like or indeed love our country? Some might not like its current direction of travel and maybe that's why they come across as rather negative. Equally some of the most virulent critics of the country were the pre-Brexit expats. One thing is sure: we've all (well nearly all) got to live in it after Brexit so we might as well try to get on.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Can I make the radical suggestion that there are people from both sides of the argument who like or indeed love our country? Some might not like its current direction of travel and maybe that's why they come across as rather negative. Equally some of the most virulent critics of the country were the pre-Brexit expats. One thing is sure: we've all (well nearly all) got to live in it after Brexit so we might as well try to get on.

Well said. Precious little effort to reconcile from the die-hards on either side. Most people were neither vehemently anti or pro EU in my experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here