Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex, third most expensive pint in the UK

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Evening Star has a beer for £9.50 a pint. I stick to Hophead at £3.35

What was this particular beer out of interest?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
A subsidised pint in my local costs $9 which in pounds is 5.55, don't think you have much to complain about.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We're I drink before and after games does a loyalty card while any sport showen on TV screens makes your pint of Harveys about £ 3-37 if you remeber to get your card clipped. It all helps

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One doesn't have to endure a Wetherspoon (although some are okaaaaaay) to get a well priced pint. One of my favourite pubs do a decent IPA for £2.30. They also do a card that gives you 10% off during matches. That can make a difference in a round. That's about my usual quota on a pub night so a tenner does me fine.
I have paid over and above for an exceptional beer but am not in the position to do so currently.
Anyway my point is you don't have to sit indoors drinking tins or sit in a Wetherspoon, you just have to find a decent pub.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
What was this particular beer out of interest?

Was racking my brains trying to remember it but I'll be in there before the game tomorrow and find out.
[MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] may remember

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A subsidised pint in my local costs $9 which in pounds is 5.55, don't think you have much to complain about.

Things are all relative though, may I ask what you earn an hour in A$ ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was racking my brains trying to remember it but I'll be in there before the game tomorrow and find out.
[MENTION=459]Bwian[/MENTION] may remember

I'll pop in myself. To be fair a number of craft beers come in a silly prices for a pint but they're often north of 8% in alcohol, quite special and only drunk in halves. And The Evening Star always warn you if the price is silly.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Things are all relative though, may I ask what you earn an hour in A$ ?

On my current contract I am on around $ 1730 a week before tax etc. which is about 1065 pounds, but I pay very heavy taxes as a result.
Houses and cars are a pretty good price here compared to over there, but everything else is extortionate.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Harvey's is ridiculously expensive.

About 20% more than some comparable bitters to buy.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Got my fiver out to pay for a pint of coast to coast at Komedia Wednesday night, was surprised when the barmaid came back to me to say I was 50p short.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I find the craft beers that I drink to be cheaper in London than Brighton at the moment. Prime example is £6.20 for a gamma ray in hove, £4.20 in my local in London :shrug:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Worked in a DrinkInBrighton for a while and remember when Harvey's jacked up the prices. DIB opened the North Laine Brewery and started pushing out Laine's Best and making an absolute mint with it. Harvey's less and less common in Brighton

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
JD Wetherspoon pricing would tell us thats not the case, as they have higher overheads (large sites) but do ales £2.50-£3 a pint. and thats not down to economies of scale because most pubs are still under lease/chains. a manager for a chain said they are told to rise prices to match London/Brighton as thats what locals will pay. in east London i know of a couple of pubs about 1/2 mile apart, one a trendy gastro affair, the other old school boozer, the later is about a £ cheaper on most beers, though it has a limited range. pubs will fleece us if they want and or can, and the "craft" beer thing has definatly allowed them to rise prices on the pretense of something special.

I think I was coming from a small independent angle whose motives are not about charging 'what they can get away with' but simply generating enough money to survive and earn a reasonable wage. The average landlord has to deal with prohibitive (tied)leases, increased business rates, and a 20 percent VAT rate, which is criminal when you consider the big supermarkets use alcohol as a loss leader.

The margins on the 'craft' pint would be similar to the pint of 'Old Windbag' in percentage terms. It simply costs more for the pub to buy a keg of 'craft'.

Finally, Wetherspoons have enormous buying power, and is not a reasonable comparison.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Finally, Wetherspoons have enormous buying power, and is not a reasonable comparison.

when buying from Fosters or Doombar, the same as a large chain such as Mitchell and Butler. But the later will charge a £ more. when buying from the small local breweries they stock, the Longman or Southwark Brewery i cant see they have buying power because the brewery only has so much capacity and 'Spoons is buying up a few barrels.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I find the craft beers that I drink to be cheaper in London than Brighton at the moment. Prime example is £6.20 for a gamma ray in hove, £4.20 in my local in London :shrug:

I'd go along with that. Keg stuff in Brighton is quite pricey, especially in the Indigo pubs. On that note, have Indigo gone away from local cask stuff? The William the Fourth seemed to have Sharps beer on, Doom Bar and Atlantic. Disappointing.

Last edited:

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
Works out about £3.00-£3.50 a pint in the Grenadier, Hove depending on what people are drinking. Carlsberg is only £2.55. But go five minutes along the road to Hove Park Tavern and its around £4.50 a pint. Baffles me.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I've genuinely never come across such a thing. If you can point me in the direction of one I'd be grateful. The closest is London Pride but it has nothing like the depth of flavour.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I reckon it's pretty much the same everywhere now. There are pubs / bars in Sheffield that charge north of £5 a pint and others (Wetherspoons included) where you can pay around £2, depending on what you're drinking.

Haven't really noticed a big difference elsewhere in the country, even in London, it just depends on the pub.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've genuinely never come across such a thing. If you can point me in the direction of one I'd be grateful. The closest is London Pride but it has nothing like the depth of flavour.

Longman Sussex Best is a cracking pint and it's 20 odd quid cheaper for a nine and more consistent in quality.
At it's 'best' Harvey's gets the nod for me but there are very few places I will drink it.
Namely:
Poet's Corner, Mitre and where I work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here