Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Named and Shamed

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and does anyone else find it deeply ironic the HMRC feels the need to name shame companies with 1 off incidents when they get thousands of people's taxes wrong every year? we should have naming and shaming of the tax inspectors who force solvent companies to close down after an incorrect tax assessment prehaps?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When it is your wage that is effected by the "administrative error" even when it is corrected I believe you would feel very differently. I think the players or player would be very vocal about their pay if it was done incorrectly. The club is much more careful when it comes to higher wage earners because if they make an "administrative error" with their higher wage earners to the good of the employee then it could cost the club much more severely.

I think you are talking a load of assumptive bollocks about a one-off incident which you know very little about. If a player discovered an error had been made in his wages, would he:

a) Go running to the media to alert the public that BHAFC has an active policy of employing incompetent administrative staff so that they can get away with underpaying people

or

b) Have a word with his agent, Paul Barber, or someone in Payroll to bring it to their attention so that it could be corrected

Answers on a postcard.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No kind of work should be unpaid, even work experience. It's unfair on those whose parents can't subsidise them whilst they do it

Should a Patron of a charity be paid?
St John's Ambulance Nurse?
RNLI?
Supporter at a Charity Fun Run?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To me it shows that "administrative cock ups" are allowable for lower wage earners but I don't think they happen with higher wage earners. Every employee's pay should be handled with the utmost respect and accuracy. BHA were guilty of not handling an employees pay in this manner and deserved to be shamed for it.

You have absolutely no way of knowing that. None whatsoever. Its a complete guess, another assumption on your part because it fits your curious agenda. It wasn't YOU was it ?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think you are talking a load of assumptive bollocks about a one-off incident which you know very little about. If a player discovered an error had been made in his wages, would he:

a) Go running to the media to alert the public that BHAFC has an active policy of employing incompetent administrative staff so that they can get away with underpaying people

or

b) Have a word with his agent, Paul Barber, or someone in Payroll to bring it to their attention so that it could be corrected

Answers on a postcard.

I reckon the answer would be b but dont have a postcard to hand.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
So how do we close the gap between those that have the platform, skills, knowledge and experience people need to gain understanding but either don't have the money or work demand to employ someone? Most companies don't really want to do work experience, because to do it properly you've got to make sure its valuable to the student.

AND pay them correctly even though it takes time to carefully study the government requirements for paying these lower wage earners correctly. Something the club has previously not been willing to do whether you call it an "administrative error" or not.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
To me it shows that "administrative cock ups" are allowable for lower wage earners but I don't think they happen with higher wage earners. Every employee's pay should be handled with the utmost respect and accuracy. BHA were guilty of not handling an employees pay in this manner and deserved to be shamed for it.

I can tell you, from first hand experience, that this is categorically false.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Our club does so many good things in and around the community i'm really struggling to accept this was a cold concise decision to pay below the minimum wage to save a few quid , it simply does not add up why as a football club we are so giving (not inclusive of tea and coffee obviously ) yet we would knowinglystoop to this sort of bollox ,not that its any of my business but i will take Insiders response in good faith and hope it is exactly how he explained it . I would like to know however if the club intend to re start the brilliant work experience program in the future ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
and does anyone else find it deeply ironic the HMRC feels the need to name shame companies with 1 off incidents when they get thousands of people's taxes wrong every year? we should have naming and shaming of the tax inspectors who force solvent companies to close down after an incorrect tax assessment prehaps?

You are spot on here. HMRC act with complete impunity. Individual officers can continue in a job making poor decisions and giving out bad advice without management being any the wiser. The culture at HMRC is rotten; one of my clients was due a huge tax refund of c. £160K and HMRC's own ineptitude meant that it wasn't refunded until some 4 months later.

No interest was paid to my client because it was a PAYE reclaim, as opposed to a Self-Assessment refund, yet with an interest rate of 3% the HMRC's incompetence earned them a cool £1,600 in interest - money that my client lost out on.

If HMRC are going to name and shame effectively then that involves some human intervention to select the right cases. Once again, this smacks of poor selection, poor communication. There are no winners in this case - everybody comes out of it worse off.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005

Very true. I had to pay back more than this one Incident due to their cock up.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

So true. Some amazing knee jerks here.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Jnr. Skipper has a placement, job, whatever, connected with his Degree Course at the moment. Accommodation provided and expenses, which would equate to about 30 hours a week at his age. He appears to be doing more than twice that, which probably breaks the working hours directive as well.
This is invaluable experience in connection with his career, he loves it, his CV will be impressive everybody wins.
The Clubs situation smacks more of a discontented placement rather than an attempt by the Club to send small boys up chimneys.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
AND pay them correctly even though it takes time to carefully study the government requirements for paying these lower wage earners correctly. Something the club has previously not been willing to do whether you call it an "administrative error" or not.

Think you may need to read my earlier posts, I wasn't discussing the club, although it is relevant to them too. Work Experience ISN'T a one-way flow mate, some people need the skills and experience more than the company needs an extra pair of hands. It's a balance.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

or

Answers on a postcard.

Does anyone on this message board truly have better info on this subject than anyone else who has commented. You don't know anymore about there being an error with a player's pay than I do. It's all assumptive bollocks, isn't it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
From what I read in the clubs statement, it seems to me that by paying a person on work experience too much in the way of expenses, changed his status from an exempt person to a non exempt person.
There are rules which state that only reasonable and relevant expenses should be paid, otherwise the person becomes someone who is paid and therefore has to be paid minimum wage.
This is not the club being tight, it is the club falling foul of a rule that allows them to pay nothing, but if they pay something they have to pay minimum wage.

Here is an example from HMRC.
Example 3: work experience with a financial reward

David successfully applies for a work experience position in a small graphic design company, after seeing an advert offering £50 ‘travel expenses’ for each week. He receives these ‘travel expenses’ despite walking to work.

David should be paid at least the NMW.

Paying a financial reward which is more than paying back genuine ‘out-of-pocket’ expenses is evidence that David is a worker for NMW purposes.

you can read all about it here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-minimum-wage-work-experience-and-internships

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Does anyone on this message board truly have better info on this subject than anyone else who has commented. You don't know anymore about there being an error with a player's pay than I do. It's all assumptive bollocks, isn't it?

Equally, we know that HMRC will go chasing after a Championship club for one error which must account for around 0.01% of their total HMRC transactions in a year and yet they allow Lords, Ladies & Gentlemen to create tax havens here ther and everyhwere!

The club haven't set up a sweat shop they've tried to give someone some experience to stick on their CV, possibly at more expense than it's worth by the time you write a WE programme, appointment a mentor, conduct an induction etc etc, chill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here