Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is beating Spurs at home that far fetched?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Only after we stood off them and conceded two early goals!

Didn't we go at them for the first 5 minutes and were hit hard with the second being the best goal scored at the Amex. We then settled down and missed a load of chances again, and they stepped up the last 10 minutes and blew us away.

Or was I stood behind a pillar in the north stand?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Didn't we go at them for the first 5 minutes and were hit hard with the second being the best goal scored at the Amex. We then settled down and missed a load of chances again, and they stepped up the last 10 minutes and blew us away.

Or was I stood behind a pillar in the north stand?

I doubt it as we were 2 down after 6 minutes.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We owe Tottenham for the fix in the game v Southampton which stopped us getting promoted in the 70s.

So Southampton didn't want to win the league even though they could go for it in the last quarter knowing their goal difference was far superior to ours if they conceded ? It wasn't a fix. It was just tense.

If anyone won it is was the Tottenham fans who it was feared might riot if things went wrong.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
We owe Tottenham for the fix in the game v Southampton which stopped us getting promoted in the 70s.

I remember that game, and every few minutes during the Brighton game, there was the odd false cheer of a goal that Brighton needed on the radio.

No mobile phones in that era :down:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So Southampton didn't want to win the league even though they could go for it in the last quarter knowing their goal difference was far superior to ours if they conceded ? It wasn't a fix. It was just tense.

If anyone won it is was the Tottenham fans who it was feared might riot if things went wrong.

Not exactly true as both teams played out the last10 mins or so without even trying to score as they knew both were promoted with a draw.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Very disappointed yesterday, but having watched it again this morning even Roy thought Palace were fortunate to get all three points.

Obviously the Corona was flowing last night but when I even suggested that we could still shock Tottenham and win on Tuesday, I was met with laughter.

Stranger things have happened haven’t they?

And whose to say Murray won’t deliver?

I think we will pick up four more points. A win comes when least expected.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not exactly true as both teams played out the last10 mins or so without even trying to score as they knew both were promoted with a draw.

Firstly, you'd expect that, and secondly, Southampton needed a win for the title and could afford to lose by a small margin. The fact that Spurs fans were causing mayhem (again) would have been the biggest factor.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So Southampton didn't want to win the league even though they could go for it in the last quarter knowing their goal difference was far superior to ours if they conceded?

They obviously didn't. The ball hardly ever left the centre circle, except maybe to go out for the occasional throw in. Attempts to score? Not that day, thank you very much!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am sure Lenny Rider has mentioned the happenings at that game many times.in the past..

Yes, but many who speak of it weren't actually there.

My view is that, if Southampton weren't going for the win, it was more to do with fears of violence than any agreement that was in place.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Gerry Armstrong later told me, at 0-0 in the last couple of minutes he got put through only to have Steve Perryman shouting at him to take it to the corner flag which he promptly did

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007

Christ. Almost 40 years to the day. Southampton hit the post in the 89th minute and would've won the title with a win? Easy to say it's a fix when both teams did end up getting promoted as a result.

You're still angry about Maradona's handball in 1986 aswell, aren't you?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Christ. Almost 40 years to the day. Southampton hit the post in the 89th minute and would've won the title with a win? Easy to say it's a fix when both teams did end up getting promoted as a result.

You're still angry about Maradona's handball in 1986 aswell, aren't you?

Didn't realise they hit the post that late on.

Goberpiles

Feb 25, 2017
I believe this could be the most important game we play this season but we need Stoke to lose tonight really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here