Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Jury Service

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Imagine being were sent to prison for a crime you didn't commit because someone was hungry. Terrifyingly stupid.

Having 12 people hopefully stops this happening, but as the jury is randomly selected it is actually a bit terrifying having to listen to certain views/opinions. Mine wasn’t too bad given the cross-section although on the last day we’d all agreed on 2 out of the 3 charges, but one guy wasn’t convinced on the third. He eventually said ‘**** it, go with guilty, I’m bored now’.

On the breaks, one day at lunch after the defendant had been in the dock for 2 days we saw him at lunch and he was gleefully high-fiving his lawyer, presumably about his performance. He was deluded if so, it was a disaster for him !

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Take a good book or three, there's a lot of sitting around.

I my two weeks, two defendants changed their pleas to guilty before we'd even been sworn in and I sat on one trial for someone accused of GBH.

It was really interesting to see the legal process in action and at the end of the day we (the jury) came to a unanimous decision that got a nasty wee sh*te off the streets for a while. After we'd delivered our guilty verdict the Judge was summing up and we found out that immediately prior to the GBH (he battered a German student who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time) he'd sexually assault a young lass and had already been found guilty of this at another trial!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Did it. Sat about for two weeks, getting sent home early in the afternoon and going in to work so I was at least doing something productive. Got selected into the 15 once but not picked. End of the two weeks I got selected onto the full jury. Sworn in, little bit of evidence about a domestic abuse case then sent home for the day. Next day CPS withdrew the case as the accuser decided they didn't want to co-operate, and it's hard to get conviction without their co-operation. That was pretty much it. Incredibly boring overall, but I guess I did my civic duty etc...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Having 12 people hopefully stops this happening, but as the jury is randomly selected it is actually a bit terrifying having to listen to certain views/opinions. Mine wasn’t too bad given the cross-section although on the last day we’d all agreed on 2 out of the 3 charges, but one guy wasn’t convinced on the third. He eventually said ‘**** it, go with guilty, I’m bored now’.

On the breaks, one day at lunch after the defendant had been in the dock for 2 days we saw him at lunch and he was gleefully high-fiving his lawyer, presumably about his performance. He was deluded if so, it was a disaster for him !

Similar happened to us. We used to see a (thug) defendent with his family at lunch breaks, high fiving, probably relying on their skewed take on the witnesses cross examinations.

He got a shock with the guilty verdicts, then a month later given a 6 year sentence, to add to the long list of terms served for gratuitous violence on the innocent.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Fascinating read and pretty much confirms what I've heard from others. I must be about the only person who has never been called to serve on a jury amongst friends and peers over the years. In the past, I knew two people who had been called up twice over the years.

There are pros & cons for the jury system. The biggest con being the 'mental capacity' of some jurors. When somebodys future is dependant on lay judgement, having an idiot or somebody with an agenda isn't ideal. I remember reading of a case a few years back where a Crown Court judge described the jury as idiots, although in more learned words obviously. I once worked with a man who was called up for jury service. I would struggle to think of a more unsuitable person. I wouldn't trust him to judge a dog show, let alone sit on a jury. Luckily for any defendants, he was never chosen and was sent home most days.

I'd say if you're guilty, a jury trial gives you a better chance of getting off because of the random selection of jurors. I wasn't impressed by some of the people sharing the benches with me.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Joking apart, if you are on the jury googling a case, defendant, etc is a criminal offence.
At Hove courts if someone wants a ciggy during deliberations you all have to go with them but you’re not allowed to use the canteen/cafe cos it’s used by relatives, friends of defendant, yet you can go out for a walk alone at lunch!

My wife said the same, the judge gave them very firm instructions on what they were allowed to talk about and what they couldn't, doing Google searches etc... On the first day her and a couple of jurors walked to a sandwich shop, and defence and prosecution lawyers were there chatting about the case within earshot of everyone!

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Been called three times now, fascinating experience. Bagged a six weeker in Brighton Crown Court on second service, bloke robbing antiques auction houses and domestic burglaries etc. Could have been done in 4 weeks but so many delays and days off for the Judge and Barristers to do other stuff it stretched it out, rarely finished after four.

We found him guilty (tbh you have a good idea after the first couple of days whether they are guilty or not) as the foreman said he was guilty he called us all a bunch of W***ers! laugh was on him as he got 12 years!

There were tears and arguments in the Jury room when we were deliberating, widespread dynamic from all aspects of society.

Police were literally dancing a jig round the court as they had been after him for a while and he had got away with a lot previously.

Really can't wait to be called up again.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Been called three times now, fascinating experience. Bagged a six weeker in Brighton Crown Court on second service, bloke robbing antiques auction houses and domestic burglaries etc. Could have been done in 4 weeks but so many delays and days off for the Judge and Barristers to do other stuff it stretched it out, rarely finished after four.

We found him guilty (tbh you have a good idea after the first couple of days whether they are guilty or not) as the foreman said he was guilty he called us all a bunch of W***ers! laugh was on him as he got 12 years!

There were tears and arguments in the Jury room when we were deliberating, widespread dynamic from all aspects of society.

Police were literally dancing a jig round the court as they had been after him for a while and he had got away with a lot previously.

Hopefully you won't and one of us who haven't will get a chance!

getz

Jan 15, 2010
For those in retirement with time on their hands and interested in the law process .Have a day or two in the public gallery . Pick and choose your case.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

When was this? See post 32....

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I've been SUMMONSED next month. Always quite fancied it tbh, I'm curious to see the whole judicial process first hand. Big fan of 12 Angry Men. Anyone here done it before ? OBVIOUSLY I'm aware the case cannot be discussed, so I won't be revisiting this thread once the case kicks off (assuming I'm not weeded out at the selection stage anyway). But I'd be very interested to hear of anyone elses experiences with this important civic duty.

Have a chat with Sandra at number 17 in your road. She's a relation.
She's just been on jury service for 9 weeks on one case!
My wife had two weeks and had two different cases.

I've had one call up that I got out of because of the work I do.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
First day I was selected for a child sexual abuse case. Lots of stuff I would prefer not to have known about. Its not all sitting around drinking tea waiting to be Henry Fonda (although there was a lot of that as well).

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I thought that revealing what went on in the jury room, even after a trial has finished, was contempt of court - especially posting such revelations on a public forum ???

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Was the shed covered in strange lumps, and why didn't they take the yellow bow-saw?

I remember this case. Wasn’t someone force fed doughnuts until they burst ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here