Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Comedy Rant

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The BBC gave him another series on Radio 4 a year after the post, but let's not let truth get in the way of the myth.

I wasn't aware of that. So there's no need to get snidey, now. All I heard was that he'd been blackballed for his immigration post. I don't particularly found him funny and had seen him only a handful of times before he kindnof disappeared. I only knew about his "controversy" from a documentary online I half watched a couple of months ago.
I don't especially like him, he's mildly amusing but he has a manky proof-of-age beard and skinny, blotchy red hands that always look cold, like he's always poorly and I don't like that so I don't make a point of watching his stuff. I may check him out on the radio though as I may find him funnier where the sight of his painfully itchy looking hands can't prejudice my views on his comedy.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Hang on. You just said that Lawrence was only mentioned in passing and this is the part that we are discussing: namely Lee's attack on Lawrence. And I've quoted it verbatim there's nothing that's been taken out of context by me. Don't try to move the goalposts now. A man's mental state was questioned because he ranted about BBC quotas and more specifically about conveyor-belt jokes about easy targets. I don't know if that passes as run of the mill Guardian but it is definitely an ad hominem attack and I think Lawrence is justified in responding.

Regards my beef with Stewart Lee, I don't have a lot of time for comedians that announce their brilliance. I think that's for others to judge, not them. Also, Stewart Lee does seem to bring out a certain type of person that love to regurgitate his monologues in the belief that by repeating them it endows them with his wit and intelligence. it's a 21st century version of a group of pub bores reciting Monty Python sketches. Fast Show Colin Hunts.

He didn't attack Lawrence. The bit about questioning his mental state is actually a report of the reactions of others. I would imagine that this is just true reporting of Lee's experience of his colleague's reactions. This is likely how most of us would react should someone do something that we would view as angry and out of character. Lee mentions the reaction of his colleagues only to show that the real reaction of real people was not the leftist PC stereotype as suggested by Farage's article. He doesn't say they thought he had gone mad, he says that they "expressed genuine and sympathetic concern" for his "mental wellbeing". That concern could be on the level of 'blimey, he is really angry about something. I hope he's okay.'

I'm surprised that you haven't seen through Lee's announcing his own brilliance. He lays out his methods very clearly in most interviews and has even written two books that pick apart his own comedic methods. His act is based upon his character speaking to the audience from a position of high status, whilst proving himself to be inadequate at his announced intent. The failure is the joke. He has even spoken about the difficulty of maintaining an aura of failure in the face of genuine popularity.

The Colin Hunt critique is something that we all complain about others doing, but probably have all done ourselves at some point or other. Lee has a good turn of phrase and people like to quote him about some subjects and appreciate the wit. They have done the same with Oscar Wilde and George Bernard Shaw, Winston Churchill, Peter Cook and countless others and people only seem to get cross about it when those being quoted are saying things that they don't like or agree with.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Without wishing to sound like a stalker [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION], you seem to have conveniently swerved my question about the rape gag.

As I said, I'm not easily offended and often end up on the defending side when it comes to "everyday sexism" bullshit debates. But I reckon Lawrence was totally wrong on that point. Unfunny and totally wrong. In a nasty way because I don't believe he's that stupid.

So I just wondered what you thought?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Without wishing to sound like a stalker [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION], you seem to have conveniently swerved my question about the rape gag.

As I said, I'm not easily offended and often end up on the defending side when it comes to "everyday sexism" bullshit debates. But I reckon Lawrence was totally wrong on that point. Unfunny and totally wrong. In a nasty way because I don't believe he's that stupid.

So I just wondered what you thought?

Sorry but haven't had time to listen and then respond. Will try tomorrow.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Okay. I think we're done and won't find common ground here.

Have you ever really argued with someone on the internet because you wanted to find common ground?

I thought we were all doing it to claim the moral high ground, massage our own egos and convince ourselves that we're the cleverest.

Sorry to the OP for high-jacking a thread ironically about ranting.

I think perhaps we need Palace to score a goal so that their fans start to sneak back, bringing with them the usual fishy barrel shoot that keeps me on an even keel.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wasn't aware of that. So there's no need to get snidey, now. All I heard was that he'd been blackballed for his immigration post. I don't particularly found him funny and had seen him only a handful of times before he kindnof disappeared. I only knew about his "controversy" from a documentary online I half watched a couple of months ago.
I don't especially like him, he's mildly amusing but he has a manky proof-of-age beard and skinny, blotchy red hands that always look cold, like he's always poorly and I don't like that so I don't make a point of watching his stuff. I may check him out on the radio though as I may find him funnier where the sight of his painfully itchy looking hands can't prejudice my views on his comedy.

The fact he appeared on Micheal Macintyre and John Bishop prejudiced my views on his comedy.

(Given the way this thread has gone I'd better add "joke" to the end)

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The fact he appeared on Micheal Macintyre and John Bishop prejudiced my views on his comedy.

MM I find vaguely enjoyable, especially live about 15 years ago. He was filthy believe it or not. John Bishop however is very unfunny. I imagine in real life he practices "hostage comedy". This is where a person, invariably a scouse male, makes jokes in company, usually in a pub, and if you don't laugh uproariously at said "humour" you receive a torrent of "eh, eh, come on lad it's only a craic eh! Eh, isn't that funny? Tell yer face then eh! Come on, life can't be that bad eh, gotta laugh eh, that's what gets you through eh, bit of a laff eh, am I right lad? Eh? Chin up our Tubthumper, could be worse eh! Eh, here's one for ya..."

Get ****ed.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
David Mitchell sprung to mind when I saw the thread title.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Andrew Lawrence does the best comedy rants. On the 1 minute mark he tells the truth about Frankie Boyle's utter and complete hypocrisy and on the 3 minute mark completely dissects Stewart Lee for what he really is. This is a masterclass in how to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mrL0x3oEh8
Steve Coogan has said that the reason you see so few conservative comics is because they lack the humanity necessary to see the humour in the human condition. I think that theory is supported by this bell end.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From the article in question:

"The truth is that, in our comedy community, everyone I met, including all the black and Asian comics I worked with last week, expressed genuine and sympathetic concern for their colleague Andrew Lawrence’s mental wellbeing."

If the comedy community includes everyone then why make a specific point about mentioning comedians of an ethnic background? The answer: it's a dog whistle implication that he thinks Lawrence is a racist but he doesn't have the minerals to state it explicitly. Instead he chooses another ad hominem, that because Lawrence is at odds with the majority of the comedy circuit in not wanting to do UKIP jokes because they are easy, lazy and virtue-signalling that he must be suffering a mental illness.

No wonder Lawrence was angry.

Edit - I'm presuming that Lee and Lawrence know each other well enough for Lee to have made this cod psychologist diagnosis otherwise it paints Lee in an even worse light.

Think you are reading far too much into this one, mate. I laughed at the clip you posted, but for the wordsmithry, not the 'points made'...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
[MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] is there a video you can link to of Lawrence talking about Clarkson and Dapper Laughs? I'm interested to see what angle he takes.

I assume you're referring to his "look at her, she's gagging for a rape" line. The silly thing about that is if you watch the whole act in context he was actually talking about the media perception of him and that line was entirely sarcastic. The tabloids took it out of context and called it a joke about rape, when it was actually a joke about them!

I'm no fan of Dapper Laughs, his videos are aimed at the lowest common denominator and are full of uncomfortable behaviour towards women, but the tabloid witch hunt was way OTT - at least go after him for something that he actually did.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Steve Coogan has said that the reason you see so few conservative comics is because they lack the humanity necessary to see the humour in the human condition. I think that theory is supported by this bell end.

:lolol: Next week in Amateur Psychologist, comedian Coogan explains how floating voters miraculously lose and then regain their humanity whenever they vote for and against the Tories. This replaces an article on self-awareness by the well-known sex pest.

Also one-time regular NSCer Tesco In Disguise explains what 'confirmation bias' is and why it's best to ignore the long tradition of misanthropic comedians from Carlin and Stanhope to Sadowitz when making your weak arguments based on dodgy cod psychology.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is going well....it has to be the must unfunny thread about comedy I've ever seen.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here