Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Antwerp

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going to Antwerp for a long weekend next weekend. Can't be bothered to buy or read a guide book on the place. Where should I eat, drink and what should I look at?

I like eating and drinking my way around cities so all food and drink tips welcome.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Moules Mariniere and Carbonade Flamande for scoff, the beer list is endless but would suggest Westmalle Dubel on draught for chugging or Westmalle Tripel,St Bernadus 12, Rocheforte 8 and 10, Tongerlo Prior 9 , Saison Dupont and Tripel Karmelite for starters....things to look at, the ship canal and shops.

Mundays Right Foot

Dec 7, 2015
NC, USA
Used to frequent there 20 years ago...Het Elfde Gebod was a great bar/restaurant - lots of religious statues watching you drink. Looks like it still exists, but it may have changed. Also, if you're not veggie, it's interesting to try some horse meat.at De Peerdestal.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Got nothing to add but a recommendation that you eat and drink yourself silly. Fantastic place for eating and drinking out.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
The railway station is rather impressive. As for bars and cafes just wander the streets, there are so many great places to take a morning coffee or an afternoon beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
If you're arriving by train, Antwerp Central Station is beautiful in itself. Finished at the start of the Twentieth century in Neo Baroque , it looks like a palace.

For Beers, you can't really go wrong in Belgium. The Oud Arsenaal at Maria Pijpelincxstraat is the quintessential Belgian boozer.

Last time I was there, I liked the Highlander at Stadswaag 21 2000 Antwerpen, possibly because they also have several Whiskys.

If you like Jazz, try De Muze 15 Melkmarkt, 2000 Antwerp -and at the edge of the Old Town, Kulminator Vleminckveld 32. Arguably one of the worlds best beer cafes.

The authentic Antwerp Beer is De Koninck - usually served in a 25cl glass called a 'bolleke'. You can book a brewery tour online if that's your thing.

As Antwerp is in Flemish Belgium, you may as well leave any schoolboy French you have at home.

Enjoy.

Collingburnian

May 13, 2016
Shoreham by Sea
Was stationed for a while in Antwerp in the RAF in the late 1950s. Have fond memories of De Koninck beer - heady stuff. The RAF bit was in the Rice Mill on the Vlaamsekaai. Would be interested to know if it still exists - not as a RAF station, obviously, but as a building. If you happen to pass by, and it's still there, say "Hello" for me. Thanks

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One word Kulminator. Ok Paters Vaetje by the cathedral as well. Go upstairs there, but duck. Den Engel though should be your first port of call in the main square to sample Antwerps own........... De Konninck. It's a insult to the people of Antwerp HT if you don't make that your first beer. It's only 5% so don't be scared.

And don't listen to anything Vegster says on this thread as he wandered around Antwerp for ages one night drunk as a skunk and knows nothing.............well apart from his very good beer advice.
Oh yes and the Aud Arsenaal had some great ales.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Okay. I'm back. Antwerp is such a lovely city. Small, pretty to look at, interesting, groovy trams and culturally rich if design is your thing. It's a nice, varied, and compact city.

Big thanks to [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24354]Cesar Chavez[/MENTION] for the Kulminator and Billies Bier Cafeteria tips. Words can't describe the Kulminator...it's really is something else. Billies was great and was lovely sitting outside on a bench in the sun drinking great beers and then moving inside their lovely little mezzanined bar for food. Went to Old Arsenal twice but it was shut...eventually we noticed the hours and it's shut Monday and Tuesday.

Big shout for Brussels Beer Project, in Brussels, as well.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Christ ! I must have been pissed, I thought Kulminator was in Brugge !

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In Brugge a few years ago I went into a cafe and asked them for their best breakfast dish and best breakfast beer to go with it.
I think I staggered out sometime in the afternoon :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here