Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I bet the brexit team across the channel are chuffed with the way we negotiated 1bn to the DUP . We are fast becoming a pathetic nation .

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Great stuff. Most people who turned out on 23 June voted Leave but the margin was small and even the man in charge of Vote Leave admits that a lie won the victory and if there hadn't been the lie there wouldn't have been the victory. I accept that to leave is the default position and I understand why you want the 23 June vote preserved in aspic but to me it seems reasonable to take heed of changes in the public mood should they happen.

There were lies told on both sides.
Most people voting Leave did so for reasons other than a vacuous promise to spend all £350m saved on extra funding for the NHS. It was a ridiculous tag-line and most people treated it with the contempt it deserved. The same contempt that was shown to Cameron and Osborne for their pathetic efforts to suggest we could be heading for economic meltdown if we left the EU.
A lot of people who voted Leave did so because they saw a country spiralling out of control and realised that nothing could change unless we divorced ourselves from the European agenda. There will be no change of public mood. The majority wanted out and still do. The EU has no long term future as it stands. As surely as it continues to try and grow into an omnipotent European Superstate, then it continues to write its own death warrant..

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I bet the brexit team across the channel are chuffed with the way we negotiated 1bn to the DUP . We are fast becoming a pathetic nation .

Where have you been? We have been a pathetic nation for years and the EU know this! Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, Clegg and May what a shower of shite!

It was the tip of the iceberg when they sent Cameron back to the UK with a flee in his ear we are a weak lily livered liberal nation now better get used to it because we are f**ked. :shrug:

D

Deleted member 22389

In a few years we will have an immigration system fit for purpose again. It is one of the main reason why I voted leave.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Well at least we're now controlled by Belfast instead of Brussels. Those dinosaur denying parade monkeys must be an upgrade on the educated descendants of the creators of The Enlightenment.

#TakingControlBack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Great stuff. Most people who turned out on 23 June voted Leave but the margin was small and even the man in charge of Vote Leave admits that a lie won the victory and if there hadn't been the lie there wouldn't have been the victory. I accept that to leave is the default position and I understand why you want the 23 June vote preserved in aspic but to me it seems reasonable to take heed of changes in the public mood should they happen.

Most people voting Leave did so for reasons other than a vacuous promise to spend all £350m saved on extra funding for the NHS. It was a ridiculous tag-line and most people treated it with the contempt it deserved. The same contempt that was shown to Cameron and Osborne for their pathetic efforts to suggest we could be heading for economic meltdown if we left the EU.
A lot of people who voted Leave did so because they saw a country spiralling out of control and realised that nothing could change unless we divorced ourselves from the European agenda. There will be no change of public mood. The majority wanted out and still do. The EU has no long term future as it stands. As surely as it continues to try and grow into an omnipotent European Superstate, then it continues to write its own death warrant..

Not so sure about that. Leavers would freak out if there was another vote due to not being so sure about that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I believe it is a misleading over-simplification for the reasons I gave. The fact that it is the latest official Brexit buzzphrase doesn't make it meaningful.

The natural extension of your position is that everyone who voted Labour must be in favour of Trident, given that renewing Trident is the official policy of the Labour Party.

It is indeed over simplification BUT it was a simplification that was used for years by the main parties towards those of us that wanted out of the EU. They kept saying well vote for an anti-EU party - problem being that all the main parties that would ever have a chance of a sniff of power had exactly the same pro-EU policies so I might as well have voted for the Monster Raving Loony Party for all the good it would do my belief in getting out of the EU.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In a few years we will have an immigration system fit for purpose again. It is one of the main reason why I voted leave.

Really? When are we getting net-migration down to the 'tens of thousands' and actually hitting the long-time target then? Is The UK Border Agency and Home Office getting billions from the magic money tree? The EU money is going to The NHS remember, so where's The Home Office getting it from?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not so sure about that. Leavers would freak out if there was another vote due to not being so sure about that.

The issue with the "we decided democratically" argument is that it's both irrefutable and asinine. We decided democratically at a specific point in time.

If you elect a shit government then you get to undo the damage in a minimum of five years. Yet we changed the constitutional way we work based on 6 weeks of lies on a bus. We can't undo it again later. If 90% of people end up worse off under Brexit there won't be a damned thing we can do about it.

Right now I accept the result and I definitely don't think there should be another referendum. But no one can claim the result would be the same today as it was last year. Theresa May knows this best of all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Really? When are we getting net-migration down to the 'tens of thousands' and actually hitting the long-time target then? Is The UK Border Agency and Home Office getting billions from the magic money tree? The EU money is going to The NHS remember, so where's The Home Office getting it from?

We will just exchange nationals from the EU to nations we want trade deals with.

India have already told us what they want.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Bloomberg change their tune on BrExit...

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/arti...-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Ever since Britain voted to leave the European Union, analysts have debated the City's fate. In 2016, the British financial services sector employed over one million people (3.1 percent of all U.K. jobs) and contributed around 7.2 percent of the U.K.’s total gross value added, just over half of it from London. Any threat to the sector -- and to London's place as arguably the leading global financial center -- would be a major blow.

Fortunately for the U.K., Brexit itself won't erode the significant advantages London currently enjoys. Perhaps more importantly, neither will it help European rivals build up similar advantages.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
also today an economist from University of Cambridge published review the Treasury predictions on Brexit, finding they overstate the cost of Brexit. something to do with gravity models, admit i dont know about these, they are something to do with modelling the trade between countries. apparently the Treasury assumed that all trade across EU nations had same weight (which they dont), all benefits of trade with EU will disappear after Brexit (it wont) and that no new trade will occur with nations outside the EU.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

A lot of people who voted Leave did so because they saw a country spiralling out of control and realised that nothing could change unless we divorced ourselves from the European agenda. There will be no change of public mood. The majority wanted out and still do. The EU has no long term future as it stands. As surely as it continues to try and grow into an omnipotent European Superstate, then it continues to write its own death warrant.
Excellent riposte! For some reason, some remainers seem to believe they know what other people were thinking. They actually believe we voted for the £350M a day (or whatever the fictional figure was) for the NHS!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Excellent riposte! For some reason, some remainers seem to believe they know what other people were thinking. They actually believe we voted for the £350M a day (or whatever the fictional figure was) for the NHS!

You would shit yourself if another vote was called. Be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here