Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hesitancy at Roundabouts

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There lies the problem ......push your trolley to the scanner as I have said and many checkout staff agree should be basket only?

I imagine you are thinking of a quite different design of self-scan area. This is absolutely DESIGNED for trolleys.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I had a couple off "lessons" from a met police driver who basically advised amongst other things, how to approach and drive through a roundabout where clear. Basically if it was clear or there was a sufficient gap, he suggested accelerating through trying to take a straightest line, which I suppose is logical really.

I tend to use that method when arriving at the roundabout from the dyke end and dyke road/ a27 as you get loads of dithering and people coming at you from the slip road off the a27 also. If there is sufficient gap, I tend to go. I sat there once for 10 minutes whilst this bloke with three dogs in the car waited for a gap the size of a bloody super tanker.
I'm a member at the Dyke golf course, so go past here regularly. Funny how many people sit and wait for ages and when I get to the roundabout, I go straight over near enough every time. And before anyone say's anything, I have had no accidents in 31 years of driving and not seen any in my rear view mirror! [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This giving way so one moves is probably better than the other options, whereby some idiot just drives straight onto the roundabout forcing someone already on the roundabout to break, or where the lanes entering the roundabout are marked, but some idiot decides to use the inside lane which is marked for left turn only, goes straight ahead and starts to undertake someone just exiting the roundabout, causing all sorts of fun.

Yep - I'd add than some people don't understand that even if a roundabout appears clear, you still have to slow down - That way someone coming on from the left who thinks it's clear doesn't get freight trained by someone else doing 40 or so....

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
No - I believe that your take on it is actually spot on - at least in the newer / refurbished stores for certain.

The self-scan check-outs at ours don't even HAVE scales. You can push your trolley up to them, lift your items up to the scanner and put them straight back in the trolley. You don't even need to put them on any counter / scales at all.

It IS a trust / perception of trust thing, for sure.
You can do this at BH as well but that is because the scales (under where the plastic bags are) have been turned off. When the self-scanners first went in it was CHAOS. I suspect that more trust is given to Waitrose customers but more because they have been shown to deserve it. Probably a bit of both - trust and expediency.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
...but some idiot decides to use the inside lane which is marked for left turn only, goes straight ahead and starts to undertake someone just exiting the roundabout, causing all sorts of fun.

Yes, people who go all the way round a roundabout using the first lane can cause havoc.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
A favourite of mine is when people are on a large roundabout with five or six exits, as soon as they enter the roundabout they ping their left indicator on, THEY KNOW THEY ARE TAKING THE FOURTH POXY EXIT but merrily sail past three exits which have confuzzled people waiting in. Nob heads.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
had an interesting one last evening. Mini roundabout with three roads, all minor B ones. Three of us literally approached at same time and same distance, all indicating a right turn, all stoped watching who felt they had right of way. Never had one like that before

Get this often during morning rush hour in Cuckfield.

Also in Haywards Heath when driving down Oathall Road you have to stop to give way to cars coming out of Oathall Avenue at the mini roundabout. Many times I have been frustrated by cars just sitting there waiting when it's their turn to go. After a few years I discovered when turning right from Oathall Av. for the first time it's a bit of a blind spot for cars coming up Oathall Road. The hesitation is understandable now.

Last edited:

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
This makes no sense, if there are no other cars we won't have to guess what another driver is going to do?
Obviously just go if the roundabout is clear.

Yes but people don't do they.

Personally I look as I approach the roundabout, not just when I arrive so I can gauge the situation so I don't even have to stop.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
The Fox Way r/a in Portslade is my biggest hold up of a morning... there are drivers sat there every morning, who should never have been given a driving license. Some days the queue backs up near to Mile Oak

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
I guarantee the drivers that are hesitant at roundabouts are the same people who struggle with self service checkouts in supermarkets and/or are painfully slow going through airport security. Nimrods.

Don't get me started on Airport Security.:angry:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm a member at the Dyke golf course, so go past here regularly. Funny how many people sit and wait for ages and when I get to the roundabout, I go straight over near enough every time. And before anyone say's anything, I have had no accidents in 31 years of driving and not seen any in my rear view mirror! [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

I am a member at brighton and Hove GC and do the same.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Fox Way r/a in Portslade is my biggest hold up of a morning... there are drivers sat there every morning, who should never have been given a driving license. Some days the queue backs up near to Mile Oak

Hence we are fighting then120 new homes being planned off gorse close. The twats only thought there would be 20 extra cars as most people would be cycling! Still at appeal stage now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hence we are fighting then120 new homes being planned off gorse close. The twats only thought there would be 20 extra cars as most people would be cycling! Still at appeal stage now.

So not only will there be no provision for cars, I'll hazard as guess they'll also be no provision for cyclists either, beyond shared pavements around the new estate.
Set one wheel outside of the new build and you're back to taking your life in your hands.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Unexpectedly not entering a roundabout (when it is empty) seems to be a common cause of accidents. Of course it is the responsibility of the driver who does the rear-ending, but this dithering is bloody infuriating.

Not in my case . Lorry bumps my rear, did not even damage the paintwork on my car, has a fxxxing split in his bumper, claims I cut him up, my Insurance co agree with him and pay out, lose my ncd.
I am furious as no one came to look at the back end of my car, a Skoda Fabia,if they had have done so they would have realised that I could not have caused the bumper damage. Yes I did indicate that I was about to tur.n left

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
had an interesting one last evening. Mini roundabout with three roads, all minor B ones. Three of us literally approached at same time and same distance, all indicating a right turn, all stoped watching who felt they had right of way. Never had one like that before

Always give priority to the traffic coming from the right, unless you have been directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights

http://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/changes-and-answers/-highway-code-for-roundabouts

Some people are not so quick at working our which is right or left!?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yes but people don't do they.

Personally I look as I approach the roundabout, not just when I arrive so I can gauge the situation so I don't even have to stop.

Fair comments, but when I was going to work today I had another look at the Newhaven / Denton roundabout, it's got trees in the middle so drivers approaching the roundabout can't see what's coming the other way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here