Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working From Home

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Typically it will be large multi national corporations who pay way too much in renting office space in a desirable part of London then cram more people than there are desks to always keep the building at maximum occupancy and enforce sporadic wfh by a certain % of staff.

I've very recently moved from a role where my manager hated agreeing to it to one who is much more pragmatic and qu'elle surprise we get on famously.

I genuinely feel about 50% more productive due to reduced bellcheesery/interruptions from colleagues. Marvellous

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

Exactly what happened where I work, too many people employed wanting to be in London and not enough office space. Moved to a system where you have to book a desk to work and we were told if you can do your job from home then please do.

Works fine with me and to be honest had I still had to have commuted daily would have long since quit the company.

BangaloreGull

Jun 18, 2011
Burgess Hill
Having worked in an office job for 17 years (estate agent) leaving home just after 6am and getting back at 7pm, I would love to be able to have a job that involved working from home so I could see more of the kids. I'm quite disciplined and would happily work later at night, earlier in the morning etc if it meant I could spend more time with the little ones during the day, I feel like I'm massively missing out.

I'm amazed by how many people actually work from home these days, what work do you all do and how do I get into it?!!

Working in IT we have all the tools (webex / VC / Skype for business) in place to make it possible. I spend a lot of time travelling overseas but when at home used to go in to office 3 days per week. But now I manage teams in South Africa, Australia, and California, there is very little point going to. London, particularly as that is at my own expense. I still tend to go up once or maybe twice per week just for social interaction and to get out of house. I consider myself naturally lazy and easily distracted, but typically I will spend about 5 hours per day in meetings so they make you focus. Beyond that I am better when busy and I have a deadline, but I think it evens out. Some days at end of day I am embarrassed at how little I have done, but have new found knowledge on all kinds of obscure subjects that popped into my brain and needed googling (and not all of them x rated!). Other days I work 13 hours straight which I could never do with a commute.

What works best for me is start early, take breaks (proper breaks away from laptop) , have a clear idea of what you want to achieve. If you have a day where you achieve very little, don't beet yourself up just double you effort the next day.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Having worked in an office job for 17 years (estate agent) leaving home just after 6am and getting back at 7pm, I would love to be able to have a job that involved working from home so I could see more of the kids. I'm quite disciplined and would happily work later at night, earlier in the morning etc if it meant I could spend more time with the little ones during the day, I feel like I'm massively missing out.

I'm amazed by how many people actually work from home these days, what work do you all do and how do I get into it?!!

If you last another 15 you'll be working from home before you know it the way the industry is going, have a look on Rightmove and see nationally how many listings Purple Bricks have currently and x that by the 800 odd quid they charge UPFRONT to list with them, my calculations are at apx £24,000,000 in listing fees so far this year [emoji50]

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Until Jan this year, I spent the last 10 years wfh 4 out of 5 days a week.

Tips... work in a separate area of home away from TV and household activity.

Set basic objectives for day.

Send email or instant MSG at least once an hour to colleagues in office.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

In my case you set up your own business which involves you doing a certain amount of work at your Clients sites and the rest of the time (doing quotes/reports/admin) from an office which is cunningly located at home.

NB Make sure your Office is a proper dedicated room not just your laptop on the dining room table.

You must remember you are actually at work and you do have to be productive. Make sure by the end of the day you have done x no. of quotes, x no. of reports and most importantly x no. of invoices as if you were in a normal office.

Sometimes get a bit pissed off with grinding my way through a tedious report when I could be strolling around the garden but there is nothing wrong with taking a short break and doing same, which I certainly couldn't do in my London Commute years (1995-2007). I had to travel into London the other day to renew my Passport and the journey was shocking, simply couldn't do it anymore.

Good Luck!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tomorrow will be the first time I have ever worked from home, it's only for a day, but I'm genuinely a bit nervous about it. Anyone got any tips on how to do it successfully, without binge watching on Netflix and rinsing the kitchen for biscuits (followed by a trip to the shop to replace them). I have no will power, so any advice would be appreciated!!!

I work from home and steer clear of things like NSC as you can see from my post count...

D

Deleted member 22389

Personally I think you need a mixture of both, work from home, and go to your place of work, or hire a desk somewhere, so you are at least speaking to people. Also get a separate office if your working at home. If you have the money buy a nice shed away from the house, nothing more unprofessional than speaking to your boss with the TV blaring in the background, or in my case as I had an office at my mums house one time, asking what you would like in your sandwiches lol.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Cup of coffee piece of toast walk round the garden in the sun, feeling very happy, thinking of all those commuters, great way to start the day

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I've worked at home for myself now for 29 years, wouldn't have it any other way. Can't add anything other than what others have already said really, way to go!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I worked at home for about 4 years and had a dedicated room with a full office set up. It worked very well for this time but when I moved I had a rethink and decided to move to a coworking space. Each to their own but I find I now prefer getting up and leaving the house and interacting with a really varied bunch of people who, importantly, don't work with me. It's the best bits of office life without the politics. It's also a 10 minute bike ride and I stop off at a coffee shop which is a nice energising start to the day. I also leave all my office shit (tangible and intangible) at the coworking space which helps with life.

Oh, I found I spent a lot of time grazing when I worked at home. Put a timer lock on your fridge.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Get up, get showered and dressed as you would if you were going to the office, and go out for a walk - even if just round the block for 2 minutes. This gives you the feeling of actually "going to work" rather than just falling out of bed, logging on and starting work 2 minutes later still your pj's. I started doing this and became much more productive.

Absolutely this. I'm far more professional when I do this. If I don't, it's 9:30 and I've watched 2 episodes of The US Office, checked Twitter about a billion times and bought something I don't need from Amazon Warehouse deals

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tomorrow will be the first time I have ever worked from home, it's only for a day, but I'm genuinely a bit nervous about it. Anyone got any tips on how to do it successfully, without binge watching on Netflix and rinsing the kitchen for biscuits (followed by a trip to the shop to replace them). I have no will power, so any advice would be appreciated!!!

Huh? Nervous about working from home? I've heard it all now.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I work from home 3 days a week usually. At minimum on a Monday and Friday. For the first ten years I took the train, tube and bus to work 5 days a week. I estimate by working from home I get back 15 hours a week in travel time and am saving 4k plus a year in travel costs. The benefits of working from home are huge. I don't think I'd take a job now in London that didn't give me the flexibility to do that.

I have my spare bedroom set up as an office. Although I struggle to use it. I usually end up working at my dining room table with the patio doors open. Particularly on days like this. It does take some discipline to get in to it. I have a global role at work which leans itself to a flexible approach. I could be online at 6am for a call and back on at 6pm for a couple of hours. It's give and take.

I also find myself in a lot of coffee shops during the day. Cafe nero know me very well. I live alone so working from home can send me a little stir crazy. Getting out and speaking face to face people is the only thing I miss.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Get up, get showered and dressed as you would if you were going to the office, and go out for a walk - even if just round the block for 2 minutes. This gives you the feeling of actually "going to work" rather than just falling out of bed, logging on and starting work 2 minutes later still your pj's. I started doing this and became much more productive.

For added "going to work" authenticity I think you should also catch a Southern train to Gatwick and back so you arrive at your home desk super scratchy and irritable and ready to snap at anyone and everyone.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I find it's best to have a desk.

Stick radio on. Not TV.

Go OUT for a walk / coffee at lunchtime.

You will oddly find you get more work done.

Lastly finish off the 5-5:30 bit by finishing off work by drinking a beer and wonder why you never did this before.

This is sound advice. I also like to factor in a 20-minute nap at lunch too. Sets you up for the afternoon.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I also imagine that my cat and my dog are co-workers. Gives me a more authentic office experience. Christmas party is shit though...

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The company I work for closed the office and now I am full time home worker. Lucky for me we had a spare room which was used as a bit of dumping ground, so had a clear out and redecorated and turned in to an a dedicated office. The company paid for all the office equipment I needed, even the desk and chair I could choose and expense.

After 25 years of going to an office I was not sure I was going to like it. I try to keep the same routine as I did when I had to go in to an office, with the only difference the drive or ride to work. I never had to dress smart for work so it's the same jeans and t-shirt, and I always get showered and dressed. It's been a couple of months and I quite like it. Seem to be more productive without the distractions. I finish much the same time and get more done in that time.

I try not to go in to the office room once I have finished for the day.

I don't think I would have been comfortable doing it if I did not have the dedicated space. Before the permanent move I worked from home a couple times when waiting for someone or something to be delivered. I had a laptop on the kitchen table, that was not good.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When I used to WFH the only problem I had was the increase in office bellcheesery

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here