Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
"Ireland has also hugely benefited from the large number of foreign companies that have chosen it as a location for European expansion — mainly due to an incredibly low corporate tax rate of 12.5 per cent. The export-dominated economy has also been lifted by a low euro and a strong resumption of domestic demand from its once heavily indebted consumers."

http://business.financialpost.com/i...f-an-economic-miracle-that-rivals-china-india

What point are you making with that quote, exactly [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] ?

Are you suggesting this as a model, to follow? That low CT rates would see an influx of foreign corporations choosing the UK as a 'a base for European expansion' to ride the crest of an 'export-dominated economy'? Because the way 52% of our peers voted last year, means that is an absolute non-starter.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I read one senior economist in the economist clearly laying out that reducing it to 17p would bring in more than increasing it to 26p.

I'm just going to address this one point as I am busy today. The only way reducing it to raise revenue is that the economy grows exponentially due to added business investment in the country above and beyond the current economic output. You are relying on this economic growth because the profits have to rise firstly beyond the previous level to make up for the cut, then further still to increase the revenue with a lower rate. This model requires high economic growth, which in turn means higher investment into the country, more businesses setting up, and the elephant in the room, more immigration to supply that growth - hence, and it is a clear sign this is the case, that the Tories cannot say they can reduce immigration within the next parliament to 2022. They simply cannot, because for the economy to grow enough to raise the receipts, run a surplus and to start paying off the debt, their economic model, and what you are saying requires a high level of growth. They've not met deficit targets for 7 years because they have always over estimated that growth – the IFS is as critical of the Tory economic model as it is Labour's. The notion that 17p brings in more than 26p relies on it destroying the economy. Many economists also don't believe this will be the case. Our corporation tax receipts as a % of GDP are still very low historically. We've been through a terrible period so comparing receipts from 2011 to now doesn't give the whole picture. Businesses grew, investment grew, economy grew, and our spending was able to increase steadily through the 90's and 00's and Corporation Tax was steady at pretty much 30% throughout that period. A good offer doesn't require you to undercut everyone else. We have a great offer, but to train and educate a skills base that is equally attractive to investment, we have to raise revenue to pay for things like education.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
predictable
still refusing to answer the question

you must be 1/10 for not answering the question when you reply to this

I've answered your question you nitwit. If it's a different question please repeat it. If not then it's clear you're on a wind up.

If you want it answered repeat it. My suspicion is you have forgotten yourself but are enjoying accusing me of not answering your question. Like I say, I don't think you even remember the question. You must be 1/10 now for not answering my request.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If that was just to highlight tax-inversion, I know all about that, hence the "some a bit shady" in my post, intentionally inserted to try and stop the obvious "But, but BUT..." responses about tax-inversion.

The point was the corporation tax rate is not necessarily the signicant driver of the recovery.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
I've answered your question you nitwit. If it's a different question please repeat it. If not then it's clear you're on a wind up.

If you want it answered repeat it. My suspicion is you have forgotten yourself but are enjoying accusing me of not answering your question. Like I say, I don't think you even remember the question. You must be 1/10 now for not answering my request.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What a load of hyperbole poppycock. Where have I said my belief that gay people should have EQUAL rights to everyone else trumps the right of people to have free religious belief ? A candidate is free to hold any religious beliefs they want in exactly the same way I'm free to withhold my vote from them if I think their beliefs are in direct opposition to mine. If a candidate is likely to use their religious beliefs to influence a vote in parliament then I should have a right to know their religious beliefs when they are trying to win my vote. If I voted for someone not knowing their religious beliefs would mean they voted to ban abortion or not to allow gay marriage then I'd feel conned.

I agree a candidate is free to hold religious beliefs they can touch someone and heal them, a candidate is free to believe they can cure gay people through prayer.
This is their religious right.
You are free to believe their viewpoint is stupid.
But why should it be allowed that there is a collective campaign against this person and their religious belief.
This smacks against freedom of expression.

Its hypocritical if not applied to all nutty religions

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Ireland has also hugely benefited from the large number of foreign companies that have chosen it as a location for European expansion — mainly due to an incredibly low corporate tax rate of 12.5 per cent. The export-dominated economy has also been lifted by a low euro and a strong resumption of domestic demand from its once heavily indebted consumers."

http://business.financialpost.com/i...f-an-economic-miracle-that-rivals-china-india

Just to highlight the bleeding obvious to everyone except you, any export-focused foreign companies attracted to our shores by a reduction in CT to Ireland's level of 12.5% would be put off in equal measure by the increased trade tariffs thanks to the UK being outside the EU.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lots of people have taken A Level Economics over the years. I'm guessing that people like Nigel Lawson and John Major had a reasonable grasp of the basics to draw upon when setting the Corporation Tax rate during their times as Chancellor.

Why has it taken this government so many years to realise that ever lower taxes are the best way to maximise the finance available for public spending...?

I'm sure they did, yes.

I'm also sure the world changes and things move on. What might work well in one era, may not work well in another. I could waste my time by pulling up some Labour policies from the past that would look somewhat dated thinking now, but there's little point. It won't prove anything.

I've no idea where a corporation tax rate of 17%, 19% or 26% will benefit the economy most, but I find the corporation tax point a curious one for Labour to pick on. In their list of "record things to happen under the Conservative government", they seem to have omitted to highlight record all-time corporation tax receipts at the current rate. I wonder why...

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What point are you making with that quote, exactly [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] ?

Are you suggesting this as a model, to follow? That low CT rates would see an influx of foreign corporations choosing the UK as a 'a base for European expansion' to ride the crest of an 'export-dominated economy'? Because the way 52% of our peers voted last year, means that is an absolute non-starter.

Ok, i know there are many experts on this forum, so i will just give my opinion.
Last night i listened to the panel on QT debating corporation tax. The loud speaking Labour chap wanted the tax to go up, and Davies wanted it to go down.
I think that the businessess that we have here now, (ones which the Remainers stated would/are leaving in droves now) will be encouraged to stay.
Decent firms may also want to leave their EU bases, because they will also be able to trade with us under our tariffs, and set up here.
I expect the usual, "crap"," idiot", and other insults to an opinion that differs from about 80% of NSC, which is why it is not worth voting on this new poll, next week counts.
A big difference of opinion on this Corporation Tax, i happen to think that not putting it up is the best way forward.
I voted out of the EU so that we could make our own laws, our own trade rules, our own immigration laws etc etc, not to stop trading with Europe.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You don't sound sure.

Oh.

IDA Ireland notes that many companies, however, choose the country not for tax-inversion purposes, but because it makes a natural launching point for European operations. In addition to the low tax rate, Ireland has a comparatively high level of workers with post-secondary education, more affordable office space and a large multinational presence.

“Yes, we have a very competitive corporate tax rate, but without having the other factors that go into making a decision on where to choose in order to build your sustainable competitive company, corporate tax rate is irrelevant,” New York-based Dowdall said.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The point was the corporation tax rate is not necessarily the signicant driver of the recovery.

You don't sound sure.

It clearly IS, and the quote [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION] used only reinforces that. It basically says that IF the rest is in place (basically some desks and some literate folk to sit at them, and a ready-made market to work within) then the low CT is a huge factor.

The problem is though, Ireland clearly can't be considered any kind of model for a post-Brexit UK, as we can no longer meet one of the 'other' factors anyway.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Theresa having a shocker in Devon too, described by the reporter as "Three minutes of nothing" :

IMG_0435.JPG

(source http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/thr...pm-encounter/story-30363961-detail/story.html)
Strewth.

She has nothing to say, does she ?

No substance, just meaningless soundbites ( and at other times just slagging off the opposition ).

Worst Campaign in History.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I voted out of the EU so that we could make our own laws, our own trade rules, our own immigration laws etc etc, not to stop trading with Europe.

I think you are missing the point.

This discussion isn't about US trying to trade with Europe. We will continue to do so, of course - though it will be extremely difficult to be competitive.

This is about attracting foreign corporations, who wish to set up to commence / increase their European operations. No company is going to choose to do that in a non-EU country. Why would they? It would be absolute madness.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
lets get one thing clear Tim Farron and the gay question is one thing and is part of a religious belief, i dont think its fair to beat him with a stick about it.

My point was that people did so, not that it was fair.

The blatant anti semitism from the Corbyn brigade is not a religious belief it is hate speech......pure and simple and is not born out of religion......it is born out of ideology.....and it is vile

It's born out of a preference for one religious group over another because they perceive the first as "victims". And you're right, it's disgusting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here