Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rumours Rumours Rumours - a question

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Since the departure of Sammy et al and the arrival of Mr Winstanley, how many of our actual signings have been featured in a rumours thread ?

I'll start with BZ - any more ?
Skalak was picked up on NSC rumour first from a Czech site.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
For me he's not QUITE good enough for Milan or Liverpool but would be great for us or 14/20th of the EPL. I realise that article says he did very well in the Euro group stage so perhaps he had a green patch, but 15 million is a lot for a 29 year old CB. If we argued up to 10 from 7.5 then I reckon it's realistic. Prem might appeal just as much as Euro competition but living in Turkey? Best league in the world and all that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Only SSN, Independent, Guardian, Telegraph and Times always have truthful transfer news. BBC simply pass on truthful stuff.

But because fans are desparate to hear something about their club, we end up reading the lying hacks at the tabloids, and the shite out of Spanish and German websites. The tabloids might get the rare thing thing correct and gloat, but that's only after a scatter gun approach of publising hundreds of baseless transfer leads.

Oh, please - so the Telegraph were right about Abraham going to Newcastle, what, nine days ago, were they? And in the industry, 'Sky sources report' is well known as meaning 'The Mirror/Sun reported this morning.' Nobody knows anything.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Oh, please - so the Telegraph were right about Abraham going to Newcastle, what, nine days ago, were they? And in the industry, 'Sky sources report' is well known as meaning 'The Mirror/Sun reported this morning.' Nobody knows anything.

And in our case that's especially true.

I have no names but through a well placed source know we're working on 8 deals ATM.

The source didn't say it was 8 discrete transactions (i.e we won't sign all 8) but we are working on them all in the knowledge that they won't all come off but ALL would be an improvement on what we currently have.

I will be happy with GK, LB upgrade, ST upgrade and three additional players that improve already well filled positions such as Genki coming in to challenge Skalak/Murphy for the second back up winger role.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
And in our case that's especially true.

I have no names but through a well placed source know we're working on 8 deals ATM.

The source didn't say it was 8 discrete transactions (i.e we won't sign all 8) but we are working on them all in the knowledge that they won't all come off but ALL would be an improvement on what we currently have.

I will be happy with GK, LB upgrade, ST upgrade and three additional players that improve already well filled positions such as Genki coming in to challenge Skalak/Murphy for the second back up winger role.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

I would be surprised if it were not at least 8 . I am pretty sure that certain options would rule out other parts of the transfer targets , IE if we get Tammy then we dont get Filamori etc and add on all sorts of permutations .

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I would be surprised if it were not at least 8 . I am pretty sure that certain options would rule out other parts of the transfer targets , IE if we get Tammy then we dont get Filamori etc and add on all sorts of permutations .
Filamori?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I understand that a forthcoming book about the past two seasons will include a passage in which Winstanley says something like "It's very rare that I ever see any names linked with us in the press that are real to us, very rare. A lot of stuff gets put out there but 95 percent of the time it's wide of the mark, and very wide.”

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
[Great location/city to live in, with easy links to London/Gatwick

You have to think we'd be a more attractive prospect compared to the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, Burnley etc.? We could see some real top-notch talent here.[/QUOTE]
well unfortunately as much as I really don't like it- the first 3 all pay more than we can and b/muff is a great place to live- just crummy burnley lose out to us

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
[Great location/city to live in, with easy links to London/Gatwick

You have to think we'd be a more attractive prospect compared to the likes of Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, Burnley etc.? We could see some real top-notch talent here.
well unfortunately as much as I really don't like it- the first 3 all pay more than we can and b/muff is a great place to live- just crummy burnley lose out to us

'than we can'? What do you base that on?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I understand that a forthcoming book about the past two seasons will include a passage in which Winstanley says something like "It's very rare that I ever see any names linked with us in the press that are real to us, very rare. A lot of stuff gets put out there but 95 percent of the time it's wide of the mark, and very wide.”

So, where does that leave us regarding Ryan, Tammy, Tomori, Genki - to say nothing of Hughes, Danish guy, Brazilian guy etc.?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
ok more than we are prepared to---- provide examples of us outbidding other clubs up to this stage in the last 5years-

Bit of a miracle that we managed to sign anyone at all, then.

I'm not sure that being outbid by Premier League clubs or rival clubs with parachute payments while we were in the Championship proves your case. Can you provide examples of us being outbid since we joined the Premier League?

Anyway, some might say that beating seven clubs with higher wage bills to promotion last season suggests that paying high wages guarantees nothing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here