Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Beatles

TimWatt

Feb 13, 2011
Richmond
While I acknowledge that MSH is unbearably awful (and also on AR I find Oh, Darling really grates) I believe this ranking is an exercise in ignorance.

All Beatles songs were things of their time, and functions of the dynamics of the unique story of their creators - exposed to creative scrutiny more intense than anyone before or since.

Their greatest works may come and go in producing delight with over-listening - but the charm will always be there to revisit and surprise.

They made up the rules, and made many mistakes, but always moved on to achieve more, until they couldn't (except George). So it wasn't all Strawberry Fields - they produced stuff for kids, family oriented pop on occasion, to fulfil obligations offering more variety than is expected these days so not all their material could possibly appear to all.

But come on, Dr Robert in a ranking as a bad song? - it's just a throwaway rocking tune but come on.....

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
I am 20 and I absolutely love The Beatles. My step dad bought me up listening to them, and I have been hooked since young. First song he taught me to play on guitar was Blackbird and upon his passing, is the reason I now have a Blackbird (Bird not Plane) tattoo'd to my chest for life.

Amazing band, and wish I was born 40 years earlier so I could've seen them live!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have acquired most of their albums on CD over the last few years and have them on my Ipod, which is nearly always on shuffle. Great to hear their songs pop up, the last one was Norwegian Wood.

You had to have been there to really appreciate them and the way they developed. I lost interest by the time they got to Let it Be and Abbey Road, two albums I have never liked and so never bothered to buy. They broke up at the right time imo as they had run out of ideas as a band.

Harrison blossomed as a solo artist, John seemed to thrive too and was making some good music again before he was shot and Paul did OK with the first Wings album but went way too commercial for me after that. Ringo, the less said the better.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are not too many acts that can embody and radiate the age in which they existed and yet still sound great today. When you listen to The Beatles you're taken back to the swinging 60s, it's a powerful effect.

Although not in the same league I still get a similar feeling when I listen to T-Rex and the 70s.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
http://www.ranker.com/list/worst-beatles-songs/ranker-music

Numbers 32 and 28 on this list currently. My pet hate is Dig It, but even that only makes No 3.

I wouldn't disagree with most of that top twenty worst list though, although I do like 'A Taste Of Honey'... and whilst 'You Know My Name' is clearly a bit of jamming fun, I really like the last couple of jazzy minutes
I'd have 'Old Brown Shoe' at the top of the pile though.

Personally (and I know this will irk many) I've never liked 'Let It Be'. Oddly though, amongst my Beatles disliking friends, to a person they all say it's the only Beatles song they like!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I
Personally (and I know this will irk many) I've never liked 'Let It Be'. Oddly though, amongst my Beatles disliking friends, to a person they all say it's the only Beatles song they like!

Complete dirge, hate the song along with Hey Jude which is a mindless dirge as well. I have to tolerate it at every Amex game too :smile:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Complete dirge, hate the song along with Hey Jude which is a mindless dirge as well. I have to tolerate it at every Amex game too :smile:

Rather liked Hey Jude at the time, but it's appeal has waned over the years (unlike most of the Beatles best songs), but can I add two more to this list of long and unwelcome dirges that the Beatles (and particularly Paul) lapsed into in their later years? - I give you The Long and Winding Road and Let it Be. Heresy I know, but those songs, more than anything else, made me feel that the golden age of the Beatles was coming to an end.

* A pedant writes *

Neither the Beatles nor the Rolling Stones were "bands"

Back in the day a "band" was something like the "Billy Cotton Band" or "Glen Miller Band", usually from the 40's or 50's and therefore extremely old fashioned sort of crap our parents liked, before The Beatles came along and revolutionised pop music.

The Beatles and the Rollings Stones and pretty well everyone else were "groups".

I feel better now. Carry on. :bigwave:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Rather liked Hey Jude at the time, but it's appeal has waned over the years (unlike most of the Beatles best songs), but can I add two more to this list of long and unwelcome dirges that the Beatles (and particularly Paul) lapsed into in their later years? - I give you The Long and Winding Road and Let it Be. Heresy I know, but those songs, more than anything else, made me feel that the golden age of the Beatles was coming to an end.

can I add Yesterday .... pure misery

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
* A pedant writes *

Back in the day a "band" was something like the "Billy Cotton Band" or "Glen Miller Band", usually from the 40's or 50's and therefore extremely old fashioned sort of crap our parents liked, before The Beatles came along and revolutionised pop music.

The Beatles and the Rollings Stones and pretty well everyone else were "groups".

True, but I was posting so that the youngsters could understand.

Whitelion, the journalists and presenters tried to make a rivalry with Beatles and Stones fans, but having lived throughout the 60s, and met many other people, I never came across anyone who was totally for one and against the other.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
* A pedant writes *

Surely they were BEAT COMBOS?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Completely agree and two of those songs appeared on Let it Be

Abbey Road had two decent songs (imo) and both were Harrison compositions, Here Comes the Sun and Something

They were done as a band by the time these albums were released.

If you aren't joking, what a lucky person

No I wasn't joking, all the big acts came to Brighton in the 60's either at the Hippodrome or the Top Rank Suite or the Regent Ballroom (which is now Boots)

And each year there was a New Musical Express Award Winners concert at the Wembley Arena. Steve (my best friend at Hove Grammar) and I managed to get tickets for three or four years running and saw pretty well everyone who was anyone in pop music (Except Elvis, of course).

Great days to be young.

Last edited:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
* A pedant writes *

The Beatles and the Rollings Stones and pretty well everyone else were "groups".:

The Beatles and Stones were groups, yes, but the Rollings was an Albion footballer signed I believe by Clough together with Ian Mellor and Steve Govier from Norwich.

Oops did it too. Had to edit my Sones to Stones!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here